Can you FaceTime with the basic Surf Package?

canadarocks

We won’t have Have It All on our upcoming cruise. I’m trying to decide which internet package to get. We will want to video and talk to our kids and grandkids, ideally through FaceBook Messenger or through FaceTime. Do we have to buy the Premium package to do that? 

We did the Facebook Messenger video chat (I think that’s what it is called) on the Eurodam with the HIA regular wifi.  We were mid ship when we did it in our cabin. Hope this helps.  I’m sure Starlink has made a big improvement. 

Edited by canadianbear
  • Thanks 1

We've had problems depending on where in the world and where on the ship, but that was before Starlink. I had to upgrade to Premium in October as signal was dropped. The premium package is (used to be) discounted if you buy a few days before embarkation but prices probably went up now with Starlink. 

@canadarocks Only two internet options now. Basic and Premium.  Basic will let you FaceTime on Wi-Fi calling but no streaming of other types of videos such as YouTube. HIA has Basic Internet unless you have the HIA Early Booking Bonus which gives you the Premium Internet (among other things).

~Nancy

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

So the Have It All included package is the Basic Surf? And that includes video? I thought I had read that HAL has 3 different internet options… but I am only seeing 2 choices. 🤷‍♀️

I just checked our invoice with HIA and it said Surf.  I do know sometimes reception could be iffy so we’d pop

into the Neptune lounge & it worked fine (but we didn’t video chat anywhere except on our cabin). 

• Thanks 1

@canadianbear Thank you so much for not video chatting out in public areas!!  I have gotten pretty annoyed by people having extended FaceTime calls right next to me in public places.  I really don't want to hear how their cat back at home vomited on the living room floor or that Little grandson Jimmy got an A in math class.

🙄

~Nancy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, oakridger said:

@canadianbear Thank you so much for not video chatting out in public areas!!  I have gotten pretty annoyed by people having extended FaceTime calls right next to me in public places.  I really don't want to hear how their cat back at home vomited on the living room floor or that Little grandson Jimmy got an A in math class.

🙄

~Nancy

Oh trust me, it drives me crazy when people talk on their phones in public let alone video chat etc.  We’d time it so we’d be in our cabin.  (Pre-arranged mostly or our daughter or son would message asking if it was a convenient time). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

The above HAL description is what is confusing to me. The Basic Surf specifically says “audio/video features not supported”. Is that just not true? Or (more likely) I’m missing something? 

It's possible that was written before Starlink was installed?  Real life recent experience by the posters above say you can use WiFi calling for FaceTime and Facebook Messenger video chat, so I believe that's the most up to date info!  HAL isn't known to be great at proofreading  and keeping current their website.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Thanks so much @oakridger and everyone else. You have saved me some money! 😁

As far as money, Premium at 20% off pre-sailing is historically not much more than Surf bought on board (which can only be bought on board). But as you don't have Surf through HIA, you will be be paying "cash" anyway, although if you have OBC you want to spend then ignore the pre-sailing deal.

Buy the Surf package on board, and if they decide to enforce the old No Video/Audio - you can upgrade after you find out if there's anything you want that is only available with Premium. 

Note, I have not cruised with StarLink! 59 days and I will have first-hand knowledge!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

🙄

~Nancy

Definitely right up there on the list of annoyances. Second only to the dreaded "using my speakerphone in public" conversations! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nattyg1723 said:

Definitely right up there on the list of annoyances. Second only to the dreaded "using my speakerphone in public" conversations! 

Or the guy facing you with a bluetooth earpiece and phone that you can't see.  You think he just said something to you and you answer him to find out he is actually on a call with somebody. 

Edited by cruisinsince75
  • Like 2