How does NCL handle price drops?

stipmom

On 12/22/2023 at 7:42 PM, luv2kroooz said:

Oh, okay. Hope my comments helped the OP. Thank you for your observations. Merry, Merry, Xmas.

Merry Christmas (a wee bit late) to my fellow favorite after final payment payer cruiser!! We did get quite a deal on the one cruise we booked well before final payment, but that was courtesy of NCL coupons. No price drop there, for us. 

On our other four cruises we have watched prices/inventory and booked anywhere between 90 and 111 days pre-cruise. We've saved considerable amounts of money versus those that booked before the final payment date. We also look for deals, are very flexible with dates, and choose a cruise based on the availability of the stateroom we want being bookable when we do book past final payment date.

For us (and for you), it's a tried and true method. Don't let anyone else try to tell you otherwise. I'll keep on doing it! Now, if I ever find a true itinerary/ship/time of year that I just absolutely must have, then I'll probably go ahead and book before final payment date. But, I'll be watching that price like a hawk watches that rodent in the field for price drops (or even a full cancellation/wait until after final payment to rebook if inventory looks like not much of a risk). 

Cheers to you my good @luv2kroooz person!

• Thanks 2

On 12/22/2023 at 9:31 AM, marys350 said:

In July, 2023 we booked a Northern European cruise on Prima for June, 2024. Since then we have been successful in getting three price drops totalling approximately $1,100 for 2 people in a balcony cabin. Still watching....

Do they notify you or you need to check regularly?

1 minute ago, CUTTERSAM said:

No, of course not.  It's up to you to check and ask for a price adjustment, otherwise they will keep the price you originally agreed to pay.  Some people are lucky enough to have a TA that tracks prices - or you can sign up on something like cruise plum.  I just bookmark the price page for my cruises, takes seconds to see if the price has changed.

• Like 1

Just now, julig22 said:

No, of course not.  It's up to you to check and ask for a price adjustment, otherwise they will keep the price you originally agreed to pay.  Some people are lucky enough to have a TA that tracks prices - or you can sign up on something like cruise plum.  I just bookmark the price page for my cruises, takes seconds to see if the price has changed.

I have a "group" leader and she is on top of stuff like this. I will touch base with her, they have done hundreds.  Thank you!

3 minutes ago, CUTTERSAM said:

I check the price of my cruise daily either by checking NCL's website or using the website cruiseplum. When I have seen price drops I have called  NCL and they have repriced my reservation. If you booked your cruise through a travel agent you would have to call them if you see a price drop.

6 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

How does cruise insurance factor into booking far in advance. If you cancel don’t you lose your insurance?

Yes.  But OTOH, booking far in advance protects  you against price increases which are far more likely than price drops.  My Jan 2025 cruise has increased over $1500.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

How does cruise insurance factor into booking far in advance. If you cancel don’t you lose your insurance?

Yep. That's why I buy insurance at the same time I make final payment on the NCL cruise.  If I can't pass the 60 day preexisting condition lookback and have concerns, I'll just cancel the cruise at that time with no penalty.  😎

Hopefully you realize that you don't need to buy insurance at the time you make a booking.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Hopefully you realize that you don't need to buy insurance at the time you make a booking.

CFAR usually requires you to buy when you make your first deposit. Otherwise, yes you can usually wait.

8 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  CFAR is a crazy over-priced thing that most people shouldn't "need."

I can't wrap my brain around CFAR. If you want to cancel anytime, for any reason, why did you book in the first place? If I have to cancel a long-awaited cruise, it will definitely be for a covered reason only.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

I can't wrap my brain around CFAR. If you want to cancel anytime, for any reason, why did you book in the first place? If I have to cancel a long-awaited cruise, it will definitely be for a covered reason only.

Not necessarily, sometimes work gets in the way

28 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

This.  I'm sure there are exceptional cases, like my best friend for life becomes terminally ill suddenly and he doesn't meet the "family" criteria for insurance.  That's when we just bite the bullet and forfeit.  Beyond that, like extended warranties it's insurance that most of us really don't need.

27 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Not necessarily, sometimes work gets in the way

That kind of makes my point. If that is a possibility, then you shouldn't have booked in the first place.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

also if you have a yearly plan like Allianz guess you don't have to worry about the travel insurance if you cancel. 

I use Geo Blue for my annual cruises.  I try to book my cruises where they fall within the one year window.  I've got a cruise in Feb 24 and one in Jan 25.  I'll book my insurance in late Jan 24 so both will be covered.