Citavecchia to FCO

purplecow15

We have a cruise booked that arrives back to Cittavechia at 6:30 am. I'm in the process of booking a flight out of FCO for that day. I'm finding a flight leaving at 11:00 am and one at 12:55 pm which is much more expensive. Would we be making a big mistake booking 11:00 am.? We would be getting a private transfer. Would appreciate any experiences we should be aware of.TIA

You better take the later flight. When a ship docks at 6.30 you probably can disembark after 7 am (or a later depending clearing by customs of the ship) at the earliest, and you will need to carry all  your luggage yourself.  The drive to the airport will last about one hour depending traffic. Assuming you fly to the USA, most airlines want you to check in 3 hours prior. 

I will slightly disagree with my friend, Ine.  Can you make an 11am flight?  Probably, but there is a slight risk that things can go wrong.  We have easily made a 10:50 am flight, several times, but there is always some anxiety attached to that kind of tight scheduling.  In each case, we pre-booked a private transfer (through Romecabs.com) and had the driver waiting for us by 7:15.  We also used "express debarkation" which is the onboard scheme where you must carry-off all your own luggage.  This means you will be among the first off the ship and do not need to waste time hunting for your luggage.  With the private transfer, you will be dropped at the proper terminal/entrance at FCO.  Just keep in mind that FCO can sometimes be a real zoo, so you want to get there ASAP.  Flying Business Class is somewhat helpful as it does get you priority check-in with most airlines.  

Booking the later flight is certainly a safer option, and the final decision comes down to your own risk tolerance.  If you would miss the earlier flight, some airlines will be nice and try to get you on the later flight but in some cases the airlines can be really anal and make your life miserable (and expensive).

Hank

With a private transfer booked, you can make an 11am flight. The only concern is if the flight changes to an earlier departure, which is not uncommon.

Or, you could catch the earlier flight the next day. Spend a day in Rome. Take a full day tour that drops you at the airport and stay at the Hilton.

On 12/23/2023 at 8:38 AM, Hlitner said:

I will slightly disagree with my friend, Ine.  Can you make an 11am flight?  Probably, but there is a slight risk that things can go wrong.  We have easily made a 10:50 am flight, several times, but there is always some anxiety attached to that kind of tight scheduling.  In each case, we pre-booked a private transfer (through Romecabs.com) and had the driver waiting for us by 7:15.  We also used "express debarkation" which is the onboard scheme where you must carry-off all your own luggage.  This means you will be among the first off the ship and do not need to waste time hunting for your luggage.  With the private transfer, you will be dropped at the proper terminal/entrance at FCO.  Just keep in mind that FCO can sometimes be a real zoo, so you want to get there ASAP.  Flying Business Class is somewhat helpful as it does get you priority check-in with most airlines.  

Booking the later flight is certainly a safer option, and the final decision comes down to your own risk tolerance.  If you would miss the earlier flight, some airlines will be nice and try to get you on the later flight but in some cases the airlines can be really anal and make your life miserable (and expensive).

Hank

Hi Mr. Hank, you're always spot on with your responses. We will be on a European Princess cruise next August and our flight t back home to Montreal out of FCO leaves at 13:20. As we are Platinum with Princess, we will be using express disembarkation and will be booking a car with Roma cabs, I figure we'll have plenty of time to make our flight. 

10 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Hi Mr. Hank, you're always spot on with your responses. We will be on a European Princess cruise next August and our flight t back home to Montreal out of FCO leaves at 13:20. As we are Platinum with Princess, we will be using express disembarkation and will be booking a car with Roma cabs, I figure we'll have plenty of time to make our flight. 

With a 1:20 flight I would not even be concerned with express disembarkation.  You really would not need to be at FCO much before 10:30 which means leaving the port around 9:30.  That is a pretty normal time (most ships are almost empty by that hour).  You just have to pray that your flight schedule does not have any major changes.  It drives me crazy to find (and book) the perfect flights only to have the airlines make changes.  Argh.

Hank