Has Carnival started adding surcharges for 2nd entrees in MDR ?

jmsnyc

Just came off an MSC cruise for the first time and noticed they recently started adding a $5 surcharge if you order a 2nd entree.  I can how this cuts down on waste but it was a real turn off because a lot of times I did not like something, I was discouraged from trying something else.   This to me goes against the principle of cruising.

I was wondering if this is a specific MSC thing or if other cruise lines were doing the same 

Charging for a third entree is quite reasonable to me. The amount of food wasted on cruises is ridiculous, especially lido deck! I see plates piled high wasted all over lido deck, people seemingly cannot control themselves when loading up. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

Charging for a third entree is quite reasonable to me. The amount of food wasted on cruises is ridiculous, especially lido deck! I see plates piled high wasted all over lido deck, people seemingly cannot control themselves when loading up. 

Food is still unlimited on Lido. Well, except bacon.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3

On 12/23/2023 at 5:52 PM, mz-s said:

Food is still unlimited on Lido. Well, except bacon.

Food waste is much worse on Lido than in MDR. It is somewhat better since trays are no longer used and portions are being served rather than having a free-for-all (much more sanitary that way, too).

47 minutes ago, simplelife said:

Food waste is much worse on Lido than in MDR. It is somewhat better since trays are no longer used and portions are being served rather than having a free-for-all (much more sanitary that way, too).

The food is also in my experience lower quality, and much cheaper to feed guests at Lido since it's all self-serve so it evens out in the long run I guess.

The way that Carnival now portions out a lot of the food on the buffet is a good thing, I agree. People who want more can take more but the pre-portioned pieces of fish or whatever are a good way to nudge people to only take what they'll eat.

• Like 1