Port of Seattle Luggage Service

phillygwm

I saw a link for a free luggage service sponsored by the Port of Seattle.  It listed a number of cruise lines, including NCL, which are part of the program.  The website states you put your bag out the night before and you pick it up at your home airport.  Seems too simple 🙂  I would have thought you'd need to bring your bag through Customs then perhaps drop it on the other side.  Perhaps I missed it but saw no mention of it here.

Has anyone used it?  I'm curious as to how it would work.  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I saw a link for a free luggage service sponsored by the Port of Seattle.  It listed a number of cruise lines, including NCL, which are part of the program.  The website states you put your bag out the night before and you pick it up at your home airport.  Seems too simple 🙂  I would have thought you'd need to bring your bag through Customs then perhaps drop it on the other side.  Perhaps I missed it but saw no mention of it here.

Has anyone used it?  I'm curious as to how it would work.  Thanks!

Nope. It is that simple. We always just register onboard. Port Valet. 

If you have to pay for luggage, it is a NCL room charge. 

Overweight bags are free (lots of Alaskan souvenirs). 

They print tags and boarding passes for you and drop them in your room. Leave it outside your door, pick it up at your destination airport. No customs. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Nope. It is that simple. We always just register onboard. Port Valet. 

Nice.  I found a website where I can register in advance so I did it.  What a great service.

Appreciate the information!

7 minutes ago, anotterchaos said:

This is amazing information. I don’t fly out til 9:30 p.m. after an early a.m. arrival, and I had been researching luggage drop spots; they exist but I’d have to get there to drop it, do my sightseeing, and then go back by before heading to the airport.  

That sounds like a loooooooooooooong day.  Are you going to work the next day?

6 minutes ago, anotterchaos said:

Oh, I get in at 5:30 the next morning and I’ll be on call as soon as I get off the train LOL…fortunately it’s a Sunday.  Unfortunately the only flights to Philly with Alaska Airlines are too early to guarantee getting to, or red-eye. 

Crazy.  Did NCL book your flights?🤣

8 hours ago, anotterchaos said:

Oh, I get in at 5:30 the next morning and I’ll be on call as soon as I get off the train LOL…fortunately it’s a Sunday.  Unfortunately the only flights to Philly with Alaska Airlines are too early to guarantee getting to, or red-eye. 

Funny, I'm flying into PHL as well, also on a redeye (AA.)  Thankfully, we land on Labor Day so we'll have that day to recover.  There was an afternoon flight but it was way more costly.  Plus, given the time difference, we'd get in late evening so it would essentially be a wasted day in the air.  

Until I found this service, my plan was to rent a car (there's an Avis office not far from the pier) so I could ditch luggage there but then parking becomes an issue.   This eliminates a lot of expense/complexity.

• Like 1

We flew Alaskan from Seattle to Atlanta back in September and used Port Valet. It meant we could visit the Museum of Popular Culture (recommended) with nothing more than a carry-on. We booked it in advance, but it was offered by the cruise line a day before the end of the trip. The service was free.

We were on Princess but the process should be the same.

14 hours ago, anotterchaos said:

This is amazing information. I don’t fly out til 9:30 p.m. after an early a.m. arrival, and I had been researching luggage drop spots; they exist but I’d have to get there to drop it, do my sightseeing, and then go back by before heading to the airport.  

Sounds like you're going to have a great day in Seattle exploring the city! All without your luggage. Whoooo!!! I always enjoy those late night flights just so that I can explore whatever city I'm in, even if I've been there before! 

On 12/26/2023 at 8:05 PM, phillygwm said:

Nice.  I found a website where I can register in advance so I did it.  What a great service.

Appreciate the information!

When you get onboard, before the onboard deadline, check to see that port Valet has forwarded you details to the ship. Ours didn’t one time, so we always register onboard now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

When you get onboard, before the onboard deadline, check to see that port Valet has forwarded you details to the ship. Ours didn’t one time, so we always register onboard now. 

Silly question but where?  Guest Services?

I just used this for the first time in October, and it was amazing. I also had a 9:30pm direct flight on Alaska back to Ft. Lauderdale (same, either too early or the red-eye). I registered online beforehand, the $30 bag fee was charged to my onboard account, and the day before disembarking had my boarding pass and luggage tag in my room. Put it out at 11pm, picked it up at baggage claim in FLL. Using my Apple air tag, I was able to see it was actually already at the airport before I was off the ship. I was impressed.

Allowed me to pick the 9:30am ship departure and not rush, explore for the day with just a backpack, and not worry about rushing to the airport since I didn’t have to drop my bag and had TSA precheck. I highly recommend!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 8:00 PM, www3traveler said:

Suggestion for you, you might want to check to see if any of the airport hotels allow an early check-in for a "day room".  Drop your luggage there, head off for a tour, come back relax and have dinner before heading for the airport.

We did this recently in New Orleans.  I rented a room for the day at a nice hotel through dayuse dot com because our flight didn’t leave until 9pm.  It was very reasonable.

i have also used the Luggage Forward in Seattle and it worked out great.  I’d definitely do it again.