Using Verizon phone in Europe

CruznMooses

The DW and I are taking a 19 day cruise starting and ending in Rome with time in country on both ends of the cruise. Will be in Italy, Spain, Greece and a couple of other country's. 

We are trying to figure out what is our best course of action for cell phones. Need calls, text and Data.  I know that Verizon has an International plan but it is currently $100 for a month PER LINE. That would run us $200 for one month for marginal service.

I am thinking of getting and eSimm for our phones. Has anybody else done that and who did you go with?  

Thanks you 

Brent and Dee

I have a Verizon phone and I pay $10 per day (actually, per 24 hour period) when I use it.  I used to get a European SIM card but the cost of the Verizon plan isn't that much more and it's just so easy that I pay it.

Do you need to use both phones every day?  Could you alternate use to minimize the cost?

I used an eSim with no issues in the UK.  The process to set up was simple and without issues.  There are multiple companies that sell them.  You do need to be careful that you are getting the features you want.  Since you want calls and data (texts, email, apps), you need to make sure the eSim support that.  Many eSims sold only support data (no voice support).

A commonly mentioned one to use in Europe is from a company called Orange:

https://travel.orange.com/en/buy-a-sim/offers/europe

It will come with a French phone number.  But it will work in most, if not all, European countries by connecting to a local cellular carrier that Orange has agreements with.  Check the website to verify if all your countries are supported.  I have not used Orange myself.  I planned to, but decided just to switch to T-Mobile, which offers plans that work in Europe as part of the US plan.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

14 hours ago, CruznMooses said:

We are trying to figure out what is our best course of action for cell phones. Need calls, text and Data.  I know that Verizon has an International plan but it is currently $100 for a month PER LINE. That would run us $200 for one month for marginal service.

Curious why you think it will be marginal service?

16 hours ago, CruznMooses said:

The DW and I are taking a 19 day cruise starting and ending in Rome with time in country on both ends of the cruise. Will be in Italy, Spain, Greece and a couple of other country's. 

I am thinking of getting and eSimm for our phones. Has anybody else done that and who did you go with?  

Thanks you 

Brent and Dee

Hello:

In Europe it is possible to buy a prepaid SIM card.
As you begin the cruise in Italy, go to any telephone store and request a SIM card. I don't know the Italian companies but I have seen that for 15 euros there is a pack of some calls and up to 20 Gb of data.

I think this option will be much cheaper than any of your other phone companies. What you will need to do is temporarily remove your card from your phone and insert the Italian card. You can even configure your own WhatsApp and Telegram to temporarily use that Italian phone number.

In the store they will only ask you to identify yourself with your passport (there cannot be anonymous cards for security reasons).
Check conditions but the normal thing is that those 15 euros are for the pack they have given you. If you want more you must recharge with your card and if a period of time passes without recharging, the phone is simply canceled and the card is no longer valid.

That is, at the end of the cruise, you forget about the card, which will deactivate itself.

The Italian card works on equal terms in all countries of the European Union. Greece and Spain are EU countries so in all Italian, Greek and Spanish ports you can use it as if you were within Italy. In Malta, Croatia and Cyprus they would also work. If you are in a country outside the European Union (Turkey, Montenegro, Albania,... any Asian country and even the port of Gibraltar) you better use the card from your country because it will cost you the same.

Hello again.

I am not Italian, I am Spanish and I have glanced how it would deal for a foreing citizen visiting Spain.

There are several companies who will offer you the service

I am afraid, these pages aren't in English but I bet Google will translate them

This one offers up to 400 minutes for calling any number incluiding all ones within European Union countries, United States, Canada and some other countries

PLUS 11 Gb within European union countries

PLUS extra Gb within Spain

for just 15 euro

https://www.movistar.es/tarifas-moviles/prepago/premium/

(Movistar is the major Spanish mobile company)

but you can choose other companies like Orange or Vodafone.

It is enough to go to a mobile shop wherever and ask for them.

I am absolutely sure you will find the same in Italy.