NCL Prima 2024 (April sailing) - MDR reservations accepted only for party of 6 or 8 (Hudson & Commodore) O.M.G.

mking8288

What's "new" ahead for 2024 - a heads up, perhaps, maybe just the typical I.T. "mix-up" or ...  

Huh ... humm, we aren't sailing on April 1st either.  Just saying, FYI ... it is what it is, YMMV - especially on another sailing date and/or ship and itinerary and ours isn't anywhere close to fully sold out.  Or, is it the new "wave" of changes that we are expect, look forward to.  

The particulars: Norwegian Prima, upcoming cruise ... MDR reservations not available to book, except for party of 6 or 8 only, within 120 days of embarkation  or sailing.  With another couple or friends (CC'ers too) also on this particular sailing, it is possible to reserve for 6, they can dine at either 5:30 or 8:30 PM, the only available time slots available and open at this time ... and if they are no shows, somehow, what's NCL going to do about it, LOL. 

At 125 days out, no trouble at all booking 5 nights of "specialty dining" on select dates & choice of "prime" time slots for party of 4 ... all confirmed & listed.  Perhaps, think & act "positive" about all these in the transition to a new era of "freestyle dining" again, no reservations and just walk up, join the line(s) and queues - can this be a wonderful move on NCL's part, for our (in)convenience to sail & sustain.   NCL will need to have more than 20 or 25 "pagers" available to hand out to everyone in that packed "waiting" area.  

NCLPrima-Apr2024MDRreservation120DatHudson.thumb.jpg.c7fb158ebc072942445c644b72a7b5cd.jpg

NCLPrima-Apr2024MDRreservation120DatCommodore.thumb.jpg.dd8a4b77bd22eff797bc2aa9cced28d8.jpg

Perhaps, a good time to do a follow-up and press NCL on these "Diamond" perks since this is most definitely ultra Haven Lite - should we dare to attempt to ask (contact and/or reach out to the pre-cruise service desk ... LOL) at all, with 2 "ordinary" balconies with FAS minus the beverage package.  Or, do as we often do ... and, wait until embarkation date - just "wing" it, one way or another as I suspect that's most likely the way things look.  Maybe, "priority seating" might help then, huh ?? 

Concierge Service to assist you with specialty restaurant, entertainment, and shore excursion reservations*              
Dedicated Pre-cruise Service Desk              
Early Pre-booking Access for Entertainment, Dining, Onboard Activities8              

Priority Restaurant & Entertainment Seating*
(subject to availability)

Live chat, after a "short" wait for next available, isn't getting anywhere with this - "agent" apparently also boxed in and unable to do anything nor explain it either.  Maybe, this is a problem or simple mistake / errors exclusive to the Prima.  Better luck to others on a different ship, sailing & dates for the itinerary in 2024.  It's just "us" with this pilot move to sail & sustain ... 

As some of you know, our motto & buzz are to - go with the flow, humor, patience and easy does it.  Afterall, blessed that we are in relative good health, fortunate to continue to keep up with travel, vacations and cruising ... thus, mostly first world problems like these.  Oh, this is fun ... a sneak preview, perhaps, of what's ahead.  Happy cruising to all for a joyful 2024 - cruising NCL and/or otherwise ! 

Collage_2023-12-29_22_56_10.thumb.jpg.36680a53dbc8f54b286fec2459299007.jpg

P.S.  It was the same at 120 days to try to "override" using the NCL App (both iOS and Android platforms) - not available to book ... 

Edited by mking8288

Apparently you inflicted penalty upon thyself for cancelling second leg of b2b recently.  How long will penalty phase last, who knows.  You could also try to offer paying a higher dsc to see if that will grease the gears.

• Haha 2

I think it is a new policy.  I see the same thing on my upcoming Spirit cruise.  Both MDRs allow reservations only for 6 or 8 and the times you listed.  It makes sense to me.  Large parties like that warrant a bit more planning for both the MDR and the passengers.  Groups of 2 to 4, not so much.

Actually, it's all my fault.  On my last cruise, I booked the MDR for four people every night at 5:30 as a backup in case we changed SD plans or just had nothing booked.  I "may" have forgotten to cancel a few of those that we didn't use.  IOW, I was part of the problem, not part of the solution.🚽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Usually seated immediately and never had to wait more than 15 minutes—with or without a reservation.

We have also found this to be true -- except for night 1, which always seems to be a cluster. I only book a MDR reservation for the first night and have always been glad I did. After that, no problem.

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I book the MDR at 5:30 and am highly confident that I've never created a mess.  Have you been to the MDR at 5:30?  Generally a ghost town.

I wasn't talking about the early bird special.  I'm talking about people who book thinking they might get back to ship early on port day, or they may not, better book just in case.  Or those that think drinks with their friends might end early, but they don't, but we book just in case.  

1 hour ago, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

I wasn't talking about the early bird special.  I'm talking about people who book thinking they might get back to ship early on port day, or they may not, better book just in case.  Or those that think drinks with their friends might end early, but they don't, but we book just in case.  

Yeah, but I'm still not seeing a "mess."  @ChiefMateJRKisn't here?  Oh well, we'll just take the next person in line.  Where's the "mess?"

1 hour ago, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

I'm confused. What time are you talking about reserving? If you book at 5:30, I'm wondering why you think "drinks with friends" would end that early. Seriously? Getting back to the ship early? Like, 4:00? You're a pier runner. I don't get it.

If you book at 7:00 and don't show up, trust me, no problem. Someone will be there to take your spot.

• Like 1