Overnight Stays

For those who have had overnight stays as part of their itinerary, is there usually a curfew time to be back on ship? It may be dependent on local immigration authorities but I’m still curious. We have an overnight stay in Shanghai on Westerdam in February. We’re going to Disneyland and will stay for the fireworks, with someone picking us up and transporting us back to the ship. We could be back by 10pm or a little after. I’m just worried there will be a cut off time. 

You are free to go anywhere on your own during these over-night. Just be back by departure time. And have proper documents with you, in case you are delayed.  Or if required by the port country.

When one is in a tender port, there may be fewer tenders back to the ship later at night. But you may find the very late night  tenders are filled with happy crew members, taking advantage of not having "bed checks" in these overnight ports too. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I would check with the ship before assuming anything about curfew times!  I have seen reports that some ports will not allow all night ship access.  

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

I would check with the ship before assuming anything about curfew times!  I have seen reports that some ports will not allow all night ship access.  

~Nancy

Yes. There was a recent post on this forum regarding a change of port to overnight, and there was a restriction on access. Perhaps it was the Norbert Nieces thread?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

For those who have had overnight stays as part of their itinerary, is there usually a curfew time to be back on ship? It may be dependent on local immigration authorities but I’m still curious. We have an overnight stay in Shanghai on Westerdam in February. We’re going to Disneyland and will stay for the fireworks, with someone picking us up and transporting us back to the ship. We could be back by 10pm or a little after. I’m just worried there will be a cut off time. 

The ship gangway will be open 24/7.   What may not be open is access to the port, cruise terminal, or pier. For a large city like Shanghai, I expect you to have 24-hour access - but always check before leaving the ship.   

• Like 2

Favorite overnight was Istanbul - and being on the aft deck at night, circled by the lights of this stunning city. Sailing to Byzantium ................(Yeats)

Shanghai and Hong Kong were equally grand on overnights, when able to be at the former inner bay docks.  Best seats in the house.

Luck of the draw was once also getting the inner harbor, tendering spot in Stockholm harbor overnight. Smaller ships rule for those lucky inner harbor overnight dockings. Fewer and fewer these days. Lisbon and Barcelona were other overnight downtown docking treats,  now more likely located at the more remote commercial docks. 

• Like 1