Cabin availability, Viking website only ever shows a max of 5

Goosebear Mum

Hi. I‘m in the UK. When I go to look on the Viking website at cabin availability for booking, only 5 numbered cabins ever appear in the drop down list, always only 5 (unless fewer remain.) I know there are more. Has anyone found a way to get around this? (And not by using a travel agent!) 

I’ve tried PC browsers, Android and IPad. The drop down list never scrolls 

Thanks 

GBM

1 minute ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Hi. I‘m in the UK. When I go to look on the Viking website at cabin availability for booking, only 5 numbered cabins ever appear in the drop down list, always only 5 (unless fewer remain.) I know there are more. Has anyone found a way to get around this? (And not by using a travel agent!) 

I’ve tried PC browsers, Android and IPad. The drop down list never scrolls 

Thanks 

GBM

I call Viking or use an online cruise booking site.  I would post the one I use, but the post would probably be deleted.

• Like 1

We call Viking to make our bookings.  We have the deck plans on our screen and ask for what is available and make a decision from that.  We have only ever booked online twice, the first time a cabin number and location that we were good with was available, and just recently we booked only 2 weeks out so we ended up in a GTY or Guaranteed Cabin and we got the cabin number about 5 days out.  On this one we had no choice but to take what we were given.

Call Viking and talk with them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It typically shows the least desirable locations (next to elevators, stairs, laundry for midship, or extreme fore and aft). If you call or use an agent, they have access to the full compliment of available cabins. The Live Chat pop-up might also help. That puts you in touch with a customer service rep.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

It typically shows the least desirable locations (next to elevators, stairs, laundry for midship, or extreme fore and aft).

Thanks, this is what I was finding/suspecting too! 

Up until a few months ago my large US online ta showed up to 7 available cabins per category.  Then something changed and just for Viking sailings I can no longer see individual cabins.   I now start with the Viking site and then call my Viking rep to go over availability

Thanks all.

Sounds like I will have to use ‘old fashioned’ phone… Shame, as I use ‘online’ for almost everything nowadays, I hardly ever need to try and find a convenient time (when I’m not at work, and when Support is open) to sit in a call wait!  Also it’s a shame, as I’d have liked to check suitable location availability before progressing further.

Maybe they’ll sort this out one day, to save their support (real people) time… 😉 

GBM

• Like 1

Going back to what @OneSixtyToOne said, I have had very good luck with the Chat function.  One of the people that I chatted with has been my agent for a while now.  She's really organized and she alerts me to when new cruises are about to be posted.  She also works well with my TA.  

If I'm just browsing for Viking cruises, I will just go to an online site to see what locations are available.  Once we get serious, which is usually fairly quickly, I will then talk to my agent to book it.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have used the same Viking agent for 7 years. I simply email her and get a return call within the hour. She said emails pop up even when she is helping a guest so she sees my message. And yes, she has access to all available cabins, and gives great advice regarding cabin location. The random agents I’ve reached by calling or chat sometimes give basic info, and sometimes it’s inconsistent. 

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 1

I had been watching cabin availability for our recently completed cruise. As others have indicated, only 5 were showing per category. One day I did my usual search and about 20 showed for DV4, so I immediately did a "chat" and got our cabin changed. Within hours it was back to the usual 5. It is irking, as this shows that they can show availability if they chose to.

• Haha 1