Rome with a toddler and HOHO buses

SquishTheWhale

Planning on getting the train independently into Rome on our port stop with our 4yr old. The tours are too long and structured for him. We have a long port day so not worried about getting back.

The plan is to get off at Termini and catch the HOHO bus as he'd enjoy riding up top. One stop we'd like to get off at is the Colosseum, just to see it from the outside as it looks like there's space for him to run around a bit and it's the one thing I'd like to see.

Does anyone have any recommendations beyond that please? No museums or things that require pre booked time slots.

I'm also looking for recommendations on which HOHO company to use. They all have terrible reviews online but one must be slightly better than others!

We are not big fans of HoHos, and would point out that it is not a very good way to see Rome.  Keep in mind that every time you get off that bus, you will likely face a significant waste of time as you wait for another bus, deal with the lines, sit on the waiting bus, etc.  Rome is best explored on foot, although you would want to use public transit (or a taxi) to get between far flund neighborhoods.  With a toddler we would  certainly want a baby carriage/baby buggy and perhaps one of those contraptions that makes it easy to carry the toddler on one's back.  

When I mentioned, to DW, using a HoHo in Rome, she just laughed and said, "they can't get to a lot of the best places and would spend half the time stuck in traffic."  We started taking our DD on cruises when she was 5, and on her first European trip (using a Eurorail Pass) when she was 8.  Four is one of those tough in-between ages when they are old enough to know what they don't like (which can be everything) and too young to have the endurance for long travel days.  With a 4 year old we would certainly be thinking about gelato stops :).

Hank

• Thanks 1

We are fans of Hop on, Hop off buses, but wouldn't recommend them for Rome. They can't get close to many sites due to narrow streets. They can be hard to get back on as they are so busy. Traffic can be really bad.

We don't have any experience with traveling with a toddler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I don't know if this would interest you but it could be nice to visit the Villa Borghese Park. Besides being a shady and quieter haven from the hustle and bustle of Rome there is a small lake where the Temple of Asclepias is. You can hire row boats which are fairly inexpensive. This could be a fun activity particularly if it is a hot day. Your four year old could also look for tortoises in the lake. The gardens are also nice for a stroll under the trees and there are playgrounds for children. There is also a Zoo which has a cost to enter and there used to be a little tourist train that went around the park.

There is a wonderful view over Piazza del Popolo and Rome from the Pincio Terrace. The park is large so it would be best to look at a map to see where things are so you don't have to walk further than you need to. The nearest metro stops are Flaminio or Spagna.

http://mobile.060608.it/it/cultura-e-svago/verde/giardini-ville-e-parchi-urbani/villa-borghese-parco-di-culture.html

https://www.turismoroma.it/en/places/villa-borghese-park

The Spagna metro station is close to the Spanish Steps and the Flaminio metro station is close to Piazza del Popolo.

You could get the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and the metro to Colosseo station to see the Colosseum then get the metro to Flaminio or Spagna station and walk from there to the park. After visiting the park get the metro from Flaminio or Spagna station back to Termini to get the train back to Civitavecchia. 

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2024 at 1:47 PM, SquishTheWhale said:

catch the HOHO bus as he'd enjoy riding up top.

Be aware that even after a a lengthy wait, you may not  all get onto the same bus, and even  if you do, may need to split up if  available seats are scattered between upstairs and down stairs.

Europe is super crowded now especially in the most popular cities and towns.  Personally I would be inclined to forget about a HOHO  especially with a 4 year old. Not familiar with it, but the Villa Borghese park described above sounds lovely.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@SquishTheWhale

Would a golf car tour interest you? They can get in just about anywhere and it could be fun for your child. You would get to go around the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain,  Pantheon, etc and see a lot more than possible with a ho-ho. 

Contact the companies. They could pick you up at the train station. On a long day you could still go to the Borghese gardens after the tour.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all, sorry I forgot to come back and check this! Some really good ideas here.

The idea around the HOHO was that my son really enjoys riding up top on buses but sounds like it's more hassle than it's worth.

Maybe as suggested we make a plan around seeing the colosseum and borghese gardens and just use the metro or walk!

I'll also look into that golf cart idea, it sounds a fab idea, although just wondering how safe it is for little kids? I assume there's no proper child seats?

10 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Thank you all, sorry I forgot to come back and check this! Some really good ideas here.

The idea around the HOHO was that my son really enjoys riding up top on buses but sounds like it's more hassle than it's worth.

Maybe as suggested we make a plan around seeing the colosseum and borghese gardens and just use the metro or walk!

I'll also look into that golf cart idea, it sounds a fab idea, although just wondering how safe it is for little kids? I assume there's no proper child seats?

It's worth asking them. I understand they have a good safety record. There are other posts about it on this forum. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, marazul said:

It's worth asking them. I understand they have a good safety record. There are other posts about it on this forum. 

Thanks, I've found a golf cart tour that looks great and it says they even provide booster seats for kids! Just need to check they also have seat belts- looks like it from the photos but want to make sure 

5 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Thanks, I've found a golf cart tour that looks great and it says they even provide booster seats for kids! Just need to check they also have seat belts- looks like it from the photos but want to make sure 

Great! Don't forget to post about it afterwards. Other travelers with kids would like to hear about it.

• Like 1