Do they have crutches in the ship medical center?

Torquer

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know if they have crutches in the medical center to either borrow or purchase?   I am currently dealing with a foot injury and my doctor has me wearing a walking boot or crutches when I am not wearing that.  It is improving, and hopefully I won't need either when our cruise begins next month.  However, if the problem flares up again on the cruise, it would be good to know there will be a way for me to at least hobble around.  I really hate to take my own folding crutches or walking boot along, since either takes up half a suitcase of space.  Unfortunately, depending how I feel, we may have to scale back our port adventures.

Edited by Torquer

2 hours ago, Torquer said:

Does anyone know if they have crutches in the medical center to either borrow or purchase?   I am currently dealing with a foot injury and my doctor has me wearing a walking boot or crutches when I am not wearing that.  It is improving, and hopefully I won't need either when our cruise begins next month.  However, if the problem flares up again on the cruise, it would be good to know there will be a way for me to at least hobble around.  I really hate to take my own folding crutches or walking boot along, since either takes up half a suitcase of space.  Unfortunately, depending how I feel, we may have to scale back our port adventures.

If wearing the boot is helping you at the time you are leaving, I'd *strongly* suggest that you bring it along.

As for space, yes they are bulky (understatement!).  So why not wear it?

That way, if you end up needing it, you'll have it.  It would be a shame to wish you had it with you... but not have it.

When I needed a boot and was traveling (twice), even if as I was sort of weaning myself off it, I definitely wore it on travels so I'd "have it there" if necessary.  And that did come in handy a few times.

I'm sure the medical center would have supplies, but they may (reasonably) be restricted to use by the medical team.  I'd guess they can't start carrying enough assorted medical supplies for those who just didn't want to deal with the effort/inconvenience of bringing those supplies along and "preferred" to use equipment on the ship.

But I could be wrong.  (Maybe they do have some, and mark them up to exorbitant prices... as the ship does with many things!)

GC

• Like 1

I agree Wear the Boot.  Have a wheelchair to get you around in the airport.  The Wheelchair tenders can get you through the airport and lines very quickly. After foot surgery I used the wheelchair.  The wheelchair tenders through lines and to our gates very quickly.

Well worth the "tips" for the tenders.

It wasn't on O, but I suspect that doesn't matter.  Once upon a time, my DW tore a knee meniscus curbside just before boarding a cruise.  The porters quickly produced a wheelchair and it was much like @MSEm described only on gangways.

Point is, the porters took their wheelchair back and we rented a ship's medical center one.  "Beat like a rented mule" didn't even begin to describe its condition. 

20 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

It wasn't on O, but I suspect that doesn't matter.  Once upon a time, my DW tore a knee meniscus curbside just before boarding a cruise.  The porters quickly produced a wheelchair and it was much like @MSEm described only on gangways.

Point is, the porters took their wheelchair back and we rented a ship's medical center one.  "Beat like a rented mule" didn't even begin to describe its condition. 

Don't expect to get a wheelchair from Oceania. I cruised with a person that had a tale of woe about this and had to buy one at one of the ports. 

7 hours ago, zoncom said:

Beware of excess medical charges on Oceania.  Bring your own equipment. They ripped off my GF years ago. All the ships few wheel chairs may be taken.

That's not just O.  😞   In the middle of an ocean, it's their care or no care.

BTW, "original" (Part 'B') Medicare coverage stops at the US border, so without travel insurance coverage, you are uninsured.  Some Medicare Advantage (Part 'C') plans do cover worldwide.

• Like 1