What to do in Mazatlan?

splinkaone

We’re almost to the point of just staying on the ship….. not interested in walking the blue line, or Stone island or a resort day pass, not into shopping, the city tours don’t sound too exciting either. It seems like that’s about all there is to do in Mazatlan. Is there anything near the cruise port worth seeing if we just want to get off for a short time? Are there any boat tours worth doing? We’re Snorkeling in Cabo, and zip lining in PV. 
Thanks for any suggestions 

Last time we went, we walked off the ship and just outside the port area there are these taxi’s that look like modified VW bugs.  We paid something like $40 for him to drive us around for a little, stopped at a convenience store to get some refreshments before heading to the yellow church on the hill.  We then caught another ride back to port.

Is there a reason you don't want to walk in or visit the central old square?  We walked the blue line last January and once in the square we really enjoyed the Carnival characters they were erecting.  Then headed to the Malecon for a walk along the ocean.  Found the Beatles alley and then walked up to the Cathedral.  Easy walking we did on our own.

• Like 2

I have a back issue that really bothers me when I walk on concrete. I saw a review that said it took them 45 minutes to walk the blue line into town. That's a no go for me.We may take a  taxi or something.

23 hours ago, splinkaone said:

I have a back issue that really bothers me when I walk on concrete. I saw a review that said it took them 45 minutes to walk the blue line into town. That's a no go for me.We may take a  taxi or something.

That would be a long walk for you.  There were plenty of taxis at the port entry.  A drive on the ocean side where there is the ocean and a number of beautiful statues would be nice.

On 1/11/2024 at 12:50 PM, decrepit old man said:

Is Uber readily available here?

We used Uber on 2 out of our 3 trips when we were there a week back. The 3rd one was a no-go because the cell phone lost the internet connection and would not reconnect. Other than that it worked great for Uber.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 8:06 PM, splinkaone said:

We’re almost to the point of just staying on the ship….. not interested in walking the blue line, or Stone island or a resort day pass, not into shopping, the city tours don’t sound too exciting either. It seems like that’s about all there is to do in Mazatlan. Is there anything near the cruise port worth seeing if we just want to get off for a short time? Are there any boat tours worth doing? We’re Snorkeling in Cabo, and zip lining in PV. 
Thanks for any suggestions 

Out of the 4 regional stops (Cabo, La Paz, PV and Mazatlan), Mazatlan is the most organized when it comes to at-the-dock (in-port) shopping and activities. OK, I will give La Paz a pass as it is newer and smaller!!! 

In Mazatlan we've done the central market and downtown, and found that a lot of the products there can also be found in the market/stalls at the dock. Something that I would not typically do is sit and people watch, however the Mazatlan dock certainly does provide a nice venue in the open courtyard to do so, and we did sit-and-chill with a light meal and refreshments last week in between perusing the various stalls and getting a foot massage. On the Google image below #1 is the indoor market area as you come in from the tram, #2 is the open courtyard area for meals, drinks and shopping as you walk through to the transport pickup and drop-off, and #3 is the shopping warehouse on the far side of the transport zone for more market stalls.

image.thumb.png.a19bebd46141763eeac47588190194fc.png

Going into town can be different for non-tourist items e.g. we have a family member who does sewing and the fabric stores on the streets next to the mercado are a great shopping opportunity with reasonable prices.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 11:54 AM, SbbquilterUT said:

Is there a reason you don't want to walk in or visit the central old square?  We walked the blue line last January and once in the square we really enjoyed the Carnival characters they were erecting.  Then headed to the Malecon for a walk along the ocean.  Found the Beatles alley and then walked up to the Cathedral.  Easy walking we did on our own.

Where do you find the blue line and how far to get to the destination you mentioned (old square)

The Blue Line is an actual line painted on the roadway, running from the cruise passenger terminal to the Plaza Machado in downtown Mazatlan.  There are also signs to direct tourists.  And sometimes there are blue-shirted Travel Aide volunteers (American and Canadian ex-pats) standing around to give directions.  

When you walk outside the Cruise Passenger Terminal, cross the street towards the OXXO store (Mexican brand of convenience stores, similar to 7-11) and you will see the Blue Line.  

I've never walked straight from one point to the other, because I am always stopping to check things out and taking detours, so I can't really give an accurate distance -- maybe 2 miles?

• Like 1

I love how welcoming Mazatlan is to tourists.  Last time there we found a really nice high quality store selling Oaxacan woven bedspreads among other things.  Very artistic, exceptional quality.  Very nice people also.  Can’t not remember the name (sorry!), but it was on the blue line on our left just a block or two before the central plaza.  Will be going again soon. 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 9:22 PM, Augustina said:

I love how welcoming Mazatlan is to tourists.  Last time there we found a really nice high quality store selling Oaxacan woven bedspreads among other things.  Very artistic, exceptional quality.  Very nice people also.  Can’t not remember the name (sorry!), but it was on the blue line on our left just a block or two before the central plaza.  Will be going again soon. 

Augustina, is it this place: 

Legado Zapoteco Oaxacan Weavers 1313 Calle Carnaval, Mazatlan?

We’re doing the hop on hop off bus - it’s 2.5 hours and it was “free” with the NCL $50 port credit (upgraded to to FAS Plus so have two $50 credits per port).  I hate group excursions but do enjoy hop on hop off buses.  Has to be at least worth what we paid…. 

• Like 1

Is a Segway tour a good way to see Old Mazatlan? (Stops at Catedral Mazatlán Basílica de la Inmaculada Concepción, Plaza Machado, and Punta de Clavadistas.) My group should have no problem walking/standing for 2-3 hours, but none of us has been on a Segway before, and we're unsure about operating it in unfamiliar terrain.

5 hours ago, singingbell said:

none of us has been on a Segway before, and we're unsure about operating it in unfamiliar terrain.

This would be my concern!  I'll watch for someone who has done it to respond.

• Like 1

I’d be concerned the ground is uneven which would be freaky. But a good tour leader can choose a smooth, less pedestrian crowded route. It’s actually hard to stand that long surprisingly and that’s my memory both times I’ve done a Segway tour is that my feet and legs were exhausted! They’ll give you a quick instruction before you take off. It’s pretty easy, but, not everyone “gets” it. The last time I did this was in Seattle and we did a few hills which were a bit challenging for some (lean forward to go, back to stop)… as we’re going down the hill, this person thought leaning forwards would slow them down…. No! Opposite! Stop! Yikes! Cars! Pedestrians! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kluv2cruz said:

The last time I did this was in Seattle and we did a few hills which were a bit challenging for some (lean forward to go, back to stop)… as we’re going down the hill, this person thought leaning forwards would slow them down…. No! Opposite! Stop! Yikes! Cars! Pedestrians! 

😨That would be my nightmare!

On 1/31/2024 at 6:50 PM, Mike45LC said:

This would be my concern!  I'll watch for someone who has done it to respond.

I've done 3 Segway tours, and loved all of them. But wear sturdy shoes! Tennis shoes with arch support, and you will be fine. I wore sandals for one, and my calves were aching after an hour. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 9:14 PM, Starlight Durban Cruising said:

Augustina, is it this place: 

Legado Zapoteco Oaxacan Weavers 1313 Calle Carnaval, Mazatlan?

Yes it is!  I found it after my post on Google Maps and it may be closed.  But there seems to be a few other artistic shops near there. 

• Like 1

We chose to stay on the ship with our three young kids when we were in Maz in 2022. I had been to Mazatlan MANY times before and really enjoyed having the ship to ourselves. With that said, I find visiting Sam's Club and Walmart in other areas fascinating because they tend to carry different and local items, including cheap souvenirs, vanilla, etc! You may not find it exciting, but both are located across the street from the cruise port, in the event you feel like getting off for just a little bit. Just a thought.

4 hours ago, jrtmouse said:

We chose to stay on the ship with our three young kids when we were in Maz in 2022. I had been to Mazatlan MANY times before and really enjoyed having the ship to ourselves. With that said, I find visiting Sam's Club and Walmart in other areas fascinating because they tend to carry different and local items, including cheap souvenirs, vanilla, etc! You may not find it exciting, but both are located across the street from the cruise port, in the event you feel like getting off for just a little bit. Just a thought.

I think you are thinking of Puerto Vallarta with the Walmart and Sam’s club ?

• Like 1