Best Places to Stay/Visit When Sailing from New York on Norwegian Joy

Hi Everyone,

I just posted a new blog post about places to stay and things to do when sailing from New York/New Jersey, including New York, where the Joy will be leaving from.  Hopefully this can help some people plan their trips!
Thanks 

https://thehappiesttravels.com/2024/01/08/the-best-places-to-stay-visit-when-leaving-on-a-cruise-from-ny-nj/

20 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

It always interests me what non-New Yorkers are interested in when visiting NYC/Northern Joisey. 

I am actually from NYC so sometimes I forget the experiences that people love flocking to because I live here. I agree too tho! I tried to offer suggestions that were close to lodgings and the port in case people weren't willing to travel but that still offered some type of New York/New Jersey experience. 🙂

Posted (edited)

I live near Philly but get to NYC quite a bit.  The common question I hear is which hotels are closest to the pier.  Of course, there are some within a few blocks but it's a long way to schlep bags...plus you're off the beaten track.  Best to determine what you want to do and stay somewhere convenient to that (i.e. theater -- Times Square) and just get an Uber/Lyft to the pier.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I would never suggest a hotel in Manhattan based on proximity to the port, same with NJ hotels.

I would! At least for Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Ink 48 - walking distance to the port. They offer discounted parking to guests, even if you're taking a big ole boat for a week. I really need to stop talking about Ink 48. It's going to become too popular.

Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park - shuttle to the port and back

I also like The Fifty Sonesta - we've walked to the port from here, but it's a tad bit longer. Most folks would probably take an Uber. It's a gorgeous walk - we walked it on Easter Day, so got to see the throngs at St. Patrick's, then wandered through Rockefeller Center. 

OH, AND you gotta stop at Sullivan St. Bakery. I know - I'm obsessed with the place, but it's so good, right in Hell's Kitchen and so close to the port. 

Anyway - color me befuddled. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jenngirl said:

Hi Everyone,

I just posted a new blog post about places to stay and things to do when sailing from New York/New Jersey, including New York, where the Joy will be leaving from.  Hopefully this can help some people plan their trips!
Thanks 

https://thehappiesttravels.com/2024/01/08/the-best-places-to-stay-visit-when-leaving-on-a-cruise-from-ny-nj/

How are the places to stay and things to do related to the Norwegian Joy? Would the recommendations be the same if I was sailing on a different NCL ship? Would the recommendations be the same if I was sailing on a different cruise line?

Why exactly is this a topic for this specific forum? Is there something relevant in the topic or is CC just being used to promote a personal web blog?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

There’s an entire forum here on CC, the East Coast Departures forum, where the subjects of where to stay and what to do when sailing from NY or NJ are regularly discussed. 

Thanks for the reminder! I so need to go there more often.

• Like 1