How can I get a tour of the Bridge?

Any tips for an avid cruiser(this will be my 4th RCI cruise) that would like to tour some of the behind the scenes areas? I would love a tour of the Bridge!

Not sure if these tours are given to cruisers only after you take a specific number of cruises, or if its only offered on the longer cruises, or it's for the folks up in the more expensive cabins.

I will be on the Monarch in early May...any tips/ideas on how I could get a tour of the Bridge?

You could always ask...but I have heard that they do not do bridge tours any more since 9-11. Then I have also heard that galley and bridge tours are often given to Diamond Plus members....so keep on cruising!

I believe you are correct. that Diamond Plus members and VIPs (whatever that means) are the only ones that can get tours, and they are limited.

we got a tour of the bridge when we sat at the captains table. This was all arranged by the Concierge. If you don't have a suite then you can try to get a seat at the captains table by speaking with guest relations and the Matre' d. Another way is to speak to the captain at various events strike up a conversation and show your interest. Be persistant. That's the key.

We had a tour of the bridge last week on the Serenade. We also sat at the captain's table during the first formal night, and that was when he extended the invitation. We are not Diamond Plus members, or anything like that, it was only our second cruise on RCL. However, we were traveling with my in-laws and my father-in-law is a Norwegian Knight (I know, weird, long story) so my sister-in-law had called before the trip and set it up. As the captain himself was Norwegian, he invited us to have dinner with him and then a tour of the bridge.

I don't expect any of the rest of you are related to Norwegian knights! :) However, the point is that you might try calling before you sail and see if you can work something out. Perhaps you can work out some reason why you ought to be given a tour.

I was on the Mariner last week in the owners suite. I had asked my concierge if it was possible to arrange a bridge tour for my father who was a first time cruiser. He put in the request and a few days before the end of our cruise an invitation was waiting in the cabin. My parents enjoyed the tour and dear old dad was ready to book again. It was a thrill for him and I am glad that he was able to experience Captain Johnny who was great. It never hurts to ask.:)

My husband and I were invited to dine at the Captain's Table and tour the bridge on the Legend of the Seas a few weeks ago. The real kicker? We were in a category N inside cabin, and we are Gold C&A members.

How'd we do it?

No idea. :confused:

Well...actually, I do have a pretty good clue. We made fast friends with our head waiter (who we found later was GREAT friends with the Maitre d'). Every night he would stop by our table and we'd talk for at least ten minutes at a time - about his kids...his dogs...his life on the ship, at home, etc. It was great to hear about the "other side" of the story, and I think he really enjoyed talking about his family.

The morning of the Captain's Gala Dinner we received our invitation to dine at the Captain's Table. What a surprise! We were told by Captain Olsen that the next day we would receive an invitation to tour the bridge. It was fascinating. My husband was like a kid at Christmas.

We found out that night that Erwin, our head waiter had mentioned our names to the coordinator for the Captain's Dinner to fill two seats that were empty as we were "good conversationalists." LOL! You think that means we talk a lot? :confused:

It really does pay to be nice. Just really be nice to your waitstaff and ships staff in general. You never know just who might be abe to "pull those strings." :)

We were on Monarch the first of March and much to our surprise we were invited to dine with the captain and also to a private tour of the bridge. I say surprise because we have cruised 9 times almost always in a suite and never once been invited,to either.

This cruise however was a three nighter getaway that we had intended to just relax on, so in other words nothing to wear to formal night. When we got the invitation it was a complete shock and of course we were disappointed and mad at ourselves, this was the first cruise we did not pack any type of formal wear.

But we did get to enjoy the tour of the bridge and to say the least it was incredible. The captain was very friendly and allowed us to "steer" the ship. Unfortunately we were not able to go to Hawaii like we wanted to...:>)

Anyway I think the OP had it right on -- you definitely need to make friends with the staff and talk a lot. I am in sales and my wife is in upper management so we both love to talk and meet people.

We were fortunate to have been offered a full tour of the bridge on our AOS cruise this past January. How did it happen? We had a GS and access to the Concierge Lounge.......one day when I was in there, the Concierge asked me if we would be interested in a bridge tour - stating that only 10 passengers per cruise are offered this....of course I literally jumped at the chance! This was only my 2nd cruise ever and we are only C&A Gold Members so this offer was WAY to good to refuse! In retorospect, I think we were very lucky to have been offered this opportunity - it was an experience I won't soon forget.

I have lots of pictures of the bridge tour if you want to see them - click on the link in my signature :)

I wrote a nice simple letter to the captain of the Voyager telling him how happy I would be to have a tour of the bridge and (BAM, next thing we new we were moved to an owners suite with caviar every night, lobster for breakfast, dolphins in our own private pool on our 2000 square foot aft balcony......) he had his assistant call our room and invite us. The part in brackets was just how I felt during the bridge tour.

Good luck - you'll have fun. It is very interesting!:)

As previous posts have said, just ask, all they can say is no. But they're right about Diamond plus members, we get a personal invitation on all cruises.

Each cruise is different, ask for dinner with Captain, galley tour, bridge tour, etc. Boy, you paid for it, ask for it (if that's your thing)

It's your cruise, and as long you're not stepping in front of someone, go for it.

Dave

above sea level cruiser,

That must have been some letter! Where did you get the address to mail the letter, or did you email? We are only one week away from sailing, and I would love to get my dad a tour of the bridge. He's a WWII pilot off of an aircraft carrier, and he LOVES being at sea. He is very curious about the bridge, but we have been unsuccessful getting there on other cruiselines. I really would like to try for him. It would mean a lot, since he is battling cancer right now.

above sea level cruiser,

That must have been some letter! Where did you get the address to mail the letter, or did you email? We are only one week away from sailing, and I would love to get my dad a tour of the bridge. He's a WWII pilot off of an aircraft carrier, and he LOVES being at sea. He is very curious about the bridge, but we have been unsuccessful getting there on other cruiselines. I really would like to try for him. It would mean a lot, since he is battling cancer right now.

It was a very simple letter just basically asking if I could go and if I couldn't, I would understand. My DW gave it to the reception desk area (concierge?) person and asked them if they could, pass it along to the Captain.

I had only heard there was such a tour of the bridge the previous day while talking to a guy I met on a bus that was on his honeymoon and said he was going on the bridge tour.

Send the Captain a note - who knows, it might work out for you - I hope it does. Good luck!!! and have a fabulous time.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope that all of you see this. We just got back from our cruise...and it worked! :D I sent a letter to the captain (just as above sea level cruiser suggested) and he gave my father, sister, and I a personal tour of the bridge. My father was very touched and emotional over the entire event. Dad was sort of shy, but the captain was very personable and accomodating. He also sent a bottle of wine to our table that evening. I was very touched by how classy he was, and never would have asked if it weren't for your posts in the first place. Thanks again for making this our most memorable cruise ever!

I did this on our Princess tour over the holidays. I wrote a request in a handmade card (I am a rubber stamper) and we were granted a tour of the bridge on our return from the Hawaiian Islands. It was a surprise for DH & DD and some friends that were traveling with us. A great experience! I am glad that your letter worked. I am sure it meant alot to your father.

My best friend trhat I'm sailing with has ALWAYS wanted to go on a bridge tour...and the crazy loon treated me to a Mariner of the Seas cruise for my b-day - so I'd love to get her a tour of the bridge as a surprise. We are staying in a superior balcony room though, and I don't believe have a concierge except for the general ship's information desk? Would I give the note to them to pass along to the captain?

I am a soon to be diamond member, we have numerous suites and often book multiple cabins. We love crusing with Royal, we have been told repeatedly that only diamond plus members get these perks. Have we been lied to?

Last cruise was 50th birthday, my husband called Crown and Anchor prior to the cruise and was told these requests were only taken on board. Once onboard we were told that the arrangements for the Captain's table was all set. The second formal was also set. I questioned our head waiter and he told me that Diamond plus members come first, which was true since I saw at the Platinum and Diamond party and they acknowledged at Diamond Plus members.

Now I am being told wearing kilt or sending letter was all that was necessary......I am going to send to customer service and complain, perhaps on our next cruise we can show these posts and get our due.

I don't think that getting to sit with the Captain at dinner is anyone's "due". It is up to the Captain or whomever he designates to choose his tablemates and what criteria they use may very well vary from ship to ship or Captain to Captain. There have been posts on here which indicated what some people have done to be invited, but I don't think that duplicating their efforts is any guarantee, so I don't think complaining is the way to go. A polite, nicely worded request might be successful but if it isn't please accept that and don't be upset. We are diamond plus and have yet to get an invitation, so it isn't automatic. We have sat at the Captain's table on two occasions, once on a Carnival cruise and once on Royal Caribbean, well before there were levels of C&A membership. It was very nice but not getting an invitation wouldn't have spoiled our cruises.:)

I have heard of writing the captain to place a special request for a bridge tour, and sometimes that is granted. Normally the invites to join the captain at his table come from other sources, such as the Maitre 'd or guest relations manager. Suggested names also come from the company VIP list, Diamond Plus members and sometimes other senior staff. One of the best ways is to chat with the assistant Maitre 'd and let him know of your interest. Normally the first captains dinner is pretty will planned, so the best effort is to try for the second one.

Rick

Archived