Garment Bag Handling at Port

We will be driving to the port in Miami to embark. My husband has garment bag containing his linen jackets. 

Is it to be handed to the stevedores along with our other luggage?

Can we trust it will it arrive in our suite in good shape and contents not be crushed?

Thank you for sharing your experience with this.

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

You might want to carry it. Miami is notorious for threating your bags like they were in a Samsonite commercial.

We just didn't want to hang on to the garment bag while we go to lunch and wait for our suite to be ready, but if the garment bag won't be safe in the hands of the stevedores or the Regent staff assigned to bring luggage to suites, then I suppose the only recourse is to hang on to the bag until our suite is ready.

Anyone else have experience with garment bags at the Port of Miami?

2 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

We just didn't want to hang on to the garment bag while we go to lunch and wait for our suite to be ready, but if the garment bag won't be safe in the hands of the stevedores or the Regent staff assigned to bring luggage to suites, then I suppose the only recourse is to hang on to the bag until our suite is ready.

Anyone else have experience with garment bags at the Port of Miami?

Or get to the ship at 230PM when your room is ready. I've boarded at least 30 times in Miami - they are rough.

When we boarded Grandeur in December, we had our hand luggage with us (we left our carry-ons outside with the porters). Before going to lunch, we stopped by the cabin even though it wasn't officially "ready" (it was, at 12:30, but we weren't cleared to go in yet); the door was ajar and we just stashed those bags in there and closed the door. 

Edited by GMIAC

2 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

When we boarded Grandeur in December, we had our hand luggage with us (we left our carry-ons outside with the porters). Before going to lunch, we stopped by the cabin even though it wasn't officially "ready" (it was, but we weren't cleared to go in); the door was ajar and we just stashed those bags in there and closed the door. 

After boarding we will have our room key, so perhaps just a very quick stop to drop it off would be  viable option. Thank you for sharing your experience!

2 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

After boarding we will have our room key, so perhaps just a very quick stop to drop it off would be  viable option. Thank you for sharing your experience!

You won't even need the key, though you'll have it. The doors are open/ajar when you arrive.

On 1/11/2024 at 2:56 PM, Pcardad said:

You might want to carry it. Miami is notorious for threating your bags like they were in a Samsonite commercial.

Coincidentally, I plan on bringing my wheeled Samsonite garment bag on this trip.  I usually do fine with my larger Rimowa case and my carry-on and backpack, but with the longer trip, varying climates, and a couple o' formal optional nights I think an additional bag might be called for on this trip...

18 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Coincidentally, I plan on bringing my wheeled Samsonite garment bag on this trip.  I usually do fine with my larger Rimowa case and my carry-on and backpack, but with the longer trip, varying climates, and a couple o' formal optional nights I think an additional bag might be called for on this trip...

Miami luggage handlers.....(ignore the American Tourister part...).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Miami luggage handlers.....(ignore the American Tourister part...).

It’s amazing how long it took humans to figure out that putting wheels on luggage is a good idea…

• Like 1

Another option if you do not want to got to the room - as you board the ship, ask for the "hand luggage room" - they usually earmark one room, close to the entrance, that is used for dropping off your hand luggage while eating lunch and exploring. They have staff working there - you sign in with your suite number and the number of bags being dropped off and you are provided with a claim check. As soon as the rooms are ready, you need to go back and collect your luggage. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NYC-London said:

Another option if you do not want to got to the room - as you board the ship, ask for the "hand luggage room" - they usually earmark one room, close to the entrance, that is used for dropping off your hand luggage while eating lunch and exploring. They have staff working there - you sign in with your suite number and the number of bags being dropped off and you are provided with a claim check. As soon as the rooms are ready, you need to go back and collect your luggage. 

Another great solution I was unaware of! Thank you!