Showers for Gym users on Celebrity Ascent

CoachTimmyD

Are the showers located in the spa available for gym users or only paying spa guests / AquaClass passengers?  There have been conflicting posts from previous cruisers on other Edge-class ships (APEX, EDGE, BEYOND).

I will confirm this on Sunday but my sense is yes, the spa locker rooms are open to everyone. It wasn't always the case on E-Class ships. It definitely wasn't the case when both the Edge and Apex debuted. Things loosened on the Beyond. I always ask this specific question to the spa desk personnel so I get the official answer. I know the rules have since been relaxed on the Apex when I was on it in July. 

I just confirmed that the locker rooms in the Spa on the Ascent are available to everyone to use, even though you don't have a treatment, Aquaclass, or Thermal Suite pass.

When ships separate the fitness center from the spa it becomes less evident that the spa locker rooms are available to everyone. And it's not always available. On Royal's Oasis and Quantum class ships the spa locker rooms aren't available for all passengers. On Carnival's Excel Class ships they are even though they locker rooms are very removed from the Fitness Center. On MSC they solve this problem by having two!!! sets of locker rooms, one for the spa and one for the fitness center. Done of the older Carnival ships have the same set-up.

BTW the gym on the Ascent is much better equipped for weight training. Two Smith machines, two cable machines, more sets of dumbbells and fixed weight barbells. Some additional weight training machines not found on other E-Class ships. The bad news is it comes at the expense of no rowers! 

On 1/12/2024 at 8:10 PM, kwokpot said:

It definitely wasn't the case when both the Edge and Apex debuted.

Agree it has changed.

Second afternoon of our 18 March 2023 Apex cruise I walked into the spa entrance where the desk is in the waiting area. As I was walking down the hallway to the men’s shower/change room  and just before entering I heard a female voice, “sir, where are you going”? I replied to take a shower.” I entered the change room. She opened the door behind me (crossed the line there) and said, “you need to leave”. I got undressed and took my shower. That same evening when we returned to our stateroom for the night there was a mid-cruise comment card. So I filled it out describing my rude spa employee encounter. I turned the comment card in at GS after breakfast the next morning. Within 30 minutes of returning to our room the phone rang. It was the spa manager. She wanted more details of my experience if any and a description of the employee. I gave her both requests. She then assured me the change rooms are for all Apex guests to use and not just spa guests.  

I used the change/shower room twice a day (7:30 AM and 3:30 PM) and I was the only one in there at those times. She also told me she would brief her staff accordingly. She also offered me free spa time but I declined. Not a spa person. Then we got off the ship for the day. When we returned to our room there was a message on our phone from the HD following up and he echoed what the spa manager told me and to call him if need to. I didn’t as the issue was resolved politely and quickly. We also had a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a note signed by the HD and spa manger in our stateroom. I plan on using the spa shower/change room on our September Edge cruise. The spa contractor and their employees don’t maintain the shower/change rooms. All cleaning, restocking of towels, lotion, shower caps, soap, shampoo, conditioner and even putting robes in each locker is done by a Celebrity employee. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 10:10 PM, kwokpot said:

I will confirm this on Sunday but my sense is yes, the spa locker rooms are open to everyone. It wasn't always the case on E-Class ships. It definitely wasn't the case when both the Edge and Apex debuted. Things loosened on the Beyond. I always ask this specific question to the spa desk personnel so I get the official answer. I know the rules have since been relaxed on the Apex when I was on it in July. 

19 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I just confirmed that the locker rooms in the Spa on the Ascent are available to everyone to use, even though you don't have a treatment, Aquaclass, or Thermal Suite pass.

When ships separate the fitness center from the spa it becomes less evident that the spa locker rooms are available to everyone. And it's not always available. On Royal's Oasis and Quantum class ships the spa locker rooms aren't available for all passengers. On Carnival's Excel Class ships they are even though they locker rooms are very removed from the Fitness Center. On MSC they solve this problem by having two!!! sets of locker rooms, one for the spa and one for the fitness center. Done of the older Carnival ships have the same set-up.

BTW the gym on the Ascent is much better equipped for weight training. Two Smith machines, two cable machines, more sets of dumbbells and fixed weight barbells. Some additional weight training machines not found on other E-Class ships. The bad news is it comes at the expense of no rowers! 

Thank you so much...btw...are there still early/late MDR dining reservations [reserved tables, same wait staff,etc] (other sites reporting that on Ascent [and all Edge class ships] that now everyone is "anytime" dining...and its first-come first serve with lines forming early)

29 minutes ago, CoachTimmyD said:

Thank you so much...btw...are there still early/late MDR dining reservations [reserved tables, same wait staff,etc] (other sites reporting that on Ascent [and all Edge class ships] that now everyone is "anytime" dining...and its first-come first serve with lines forming early)

The dining in all 4 of the MDRs on the E class ships is Any Time. No reservations. First come first serve. Lines do form early. Show up when you are ready.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, doghog said:

The dining in all 4 of the MDRs on the E class ships is Any Time. No reservations. First come first serve. Lines do form early. Show up when you are ready.

On the Ascent they are doing something slightly different. While all four main dining rooms are anytime dining there are certain times that you can make reservations. Early at 5:30,5:45 and late at 8:30,8:45. Any other dining times no reservations can be made nor are any advanced reservations able to be made. It's first come, first served. I haven't seen this particular set-up on other E-Class ship. 

Screenshot_20240114-154101.png

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:10 PM, kwokpot said:

Is there a sep hallway to access the very small locker rm and showers? 

If not,  how do they prevent non thermal suite guests from using the thermal suite rooms and heated loungers?

Seems there should be a sep entrance/ exit but I can't recall the layout on EDGE or BEYOND..I assume ASCENT is the same.

will miss rowers in the gym!

41 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

On the Ascent they are doing something slightly different. While all four main dining rooms are anytime dining there are certain times that you can make reservations. Early at 5:30,5:45 and late at 8:30,8:45. Any other dining times no reservations can be made nor are any advanced reservations able to be made. It's first come, first served. I haven't seen this particular set-up on other E-Class ship. 

Screenshot_20240114-154101.png

someone should start a sep thread for ASCENT mdr dining.. glad they are going back to res.. Makes more sense,  but we are in AQ / BLU

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

If not,  how do they prevent non thermal suite guests from using the thermal suite rooms and heated loungers?

Seems there should be a sep entrance/ exit but I can't recall the layout on EDGE or BEYOND..I assume ASCENT is the same.

Apex didn't. From the mens change room someone could walk out the back door of  the change room. Not my style to use something I didn't pay for. 

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

There are two ways to access to the Thermal suites either from the main corridor or from within the locker rooms. Both entrances require a key card that you get from the spa reception desk when you exchange you room card. This applies to Aquaclass as well as Thermal suite pass guests. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, doghog said:

Apex didn't. From the mens change room someone could walk out the back door of  the change room. Not my style to use something I didn't pay for. 

That's not how it should be and is a result of lazy employees propping open the thermal suite access doors for various reasons. 

Having said that even with the door locked there's obviously ways to sneak into the thermal suite. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hcat said:

someone should start a sep thread for ASCENT mdr dining.. glad they are going back to res.. Makes more sense,  but we are in AQ / BLU

I'll create one tonight or tomorrow. It won't be a full live day by day but just some observations of what's different on the Ascent vs the other E-Class ships. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'll create one tonight or tomorrow. It won't be a full live day by day but just some observations of what's different on the Ascent vs the other E-Class ships. 

thanks.. that is going to be very helpful!

54 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That's not how it should be and is a result of lazy employees propping open the thermal suite access doors for various reasons. 

Having said that even with the door locked there's obviously ways to sneak into the thermal suite. 

sad.. but glad we will get a key card

On Reflection, the Relax Rm was  supposed to be for AQ Class only OR spa clients...So many others would sneak in  that spa staff gave up.  These folks were not quiet, brought in drink..and used it as their pvt lounge! Only so much can can be done!

2 hours ago, hcat said:

sad.. but glad we will get a key card

On Reflection, the Relax Rm was  supposed to be for AQ Class only OR spa clients...So many others would sneak in  that spa staff gave up.  These folks were not quiet, brought in drink..and used it as their pvt lounge! Only so much can can be done!

We have a spa pass booked for our upcoming cruise. Your comment brought another question to mind...are you able to bring a drink other than water into the spa area? 

15 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

On Reflection, are the showers available for general populace to use? 

The fitness center/spa showers/change rooms are available to all guests, fleetwide. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 3boyz2keep said:

We have a spa pass booked for our upcoming cruise. Your comment brought another question to mind...are you able to bring a drink other than water into the spa area? 

sorry no idea.. We bring plain  water but I do like the fruited water. Something  with alcohol would seem not to make sense given the nature of the thermal suites..

• Like 1