Danube water levels 2024 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

In the Upper Rhine valley ships face a river traffic ban tomorrow evening (forecast as of now, time not definite) and the risk exists on the Danube of course. But how close is the river in Germany? At Pfelling the level is 511cm, the forecast trends towards 600cm for tomorrow evening. The authorities issue a ban at 620cm. Note that is only applies to a small section of the river, not Passau.

It is time for me to call it a day.

Safe travels to all those on the river. I will be back to report some time tomorrow afternoon.

notamermaid

• Like 2

On our Viking Danube cruise (Budapest to Nürnberg) in 2016 it was the Bogen railroad bridge that one of the helmsmen told me would be the most problematic. We had not quite reached Passau when he told me that.

As @notamermaid posted above the Pegel at the Eisernebrücke in Regensburg to report the Wasserstand at Regensburg, but ships don't have to pass under that bridge, which is quite low, 2.45m according to the chart from @steamboats, because the shipping channel is on the other side of the Stadtamhof island from where that bridge crosses. They don't seem to bother to list the Steinernebrücke at all - not much could get through there. 

If you're on a cruise that uses the Main-Danube Kanal you don't have to worry about the 5.25m Maximiliansbrücke at Kelheim either because it crosses the Danube beyond the point where traffic goes into the canal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, steamboats said:

Trying to adjust to the fact that this is basically an US website ;-). We´re roughly 30 m higher than our local river.

The city of Munich has 14 hughe underground rainwater collecting basins. Here´s a nice photo and graphic of the largest. I had the pleasure to get a tour of the one pictured and we´ve been only down in the first of those four levels. The main reason for those basins is to keep our river clear. All water goes through our water treatment facility which of course would overflow if all water is coming at the same time. So the basins keep the water and let it off time by time. So unless a local drainage is cloaked up we don´t have bigger floodings in the streets or under bridges.

steamboats

Wow, that's quite system! Are tours given regularly? Water levels permitting of course.

My wife and I were in Munich earlier this month and I became interested in the vast complex of streams and canals in the Englischer Garten and out to the Nymphenburg and Schleißheim. palaces. At Nymphenburg we got to see the pump and water wheel operating in the Grünes Brunnhaus in the Dörfchen. A lot of engineering went into moving all that water around.

3 hours ago, RDVIK2016 said:

Wow, that's quite system! Are tours given regularly? Water levels permitting of course.

My wife and I were in Munich earlier this month and I became interested in the vast complex of streams and canals in the Englischer Garten and out to the Nymphenburg and Schleißheim. palaces. At Nymphenburg we got to see the pump and water wheel operating in the Grünes Brunnhaus in the Dörfchen. A lot of engineering went into moving all that water around.

Unfortunately there are no regular tours of this underground building.

The canals in Munich are all artificial and even the creeks going through the English Garden are artificial built to look natural.

We didn´t get that much rain so far. Yesterday it was more normal to light rain with even dry periods. Today it picked up a little. But a bit more West and South to Lake Constance and Augsburg there was and still is a lot of water coming down. There we also have regional floodings. Parts of this water (the one which drains into the Lech river and other smaller ones) will go to the Upper Danube river above Kelheim (the non navigable part).

Passau is up to 6.76 m at 7:30 am this morning. They will reach the 7 m today.

And you´re correct, the river cruise ships don´t go under the Eiserne Brücke at Regensburg. They do go through the canal.

steamboats

On the Upper Danube river a lot of river gauges have reached high water level 3 or 2. Straubing and Pfelling are on high water level 1. Passau is still below (6.87 m).

According to Marinetraffic the TUI Isla made it to Deggendorf and is currently docked there.

steamboats

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steamboats said:

On the Upper Danube river a lot of river gauges have reached high water level 3 or 2. Straubing and Pfelling are on high water level 1. Passau is still below (6.87 m).

According to Marinetraffic the TUI Isla made it to Deggendorf and is currently docked there.

steamboats

We’ve been told we’re docked here for 3 days😱

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Yorkieboy1972 said:

You have to wait til the water levels are down to pass the railroad bridge.

Hey, my shortest river cruise was 23 hours. When we left Passau, the place where we parked our car to unload the bags was already flooded. We had a nice day in Dürnstein and got down to Vienna. There the ship got stuck. We were bussed to Bratislava and back. The next day we were bussed to Budapest and stayed there for a night in a hotel. And then back to Vienna. The captain was in high hopes that we at least could make it back to Passau. But no. We skipped the bus trip to Melk and stayed in Vienna. By the end we had a nice 5 to 6 hours bus trip back to Passau.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yorkieboy1972 said:

Due to low water last September we did not finish our cruise to Nuremberg as the final day was spent cruising back from Regensburg to Passau so the next passengers could get 75% of the cruise as normal. It was an absolutely perfect day! Lovely weather and scenery we missed by doing that sail overnight, a full day to enjoy our new friends before disembarking. I realized part of the enjoyment and adventure of a river cruise was going with the flow 😃

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RDVIK2016 said:

As @notamermaid posted above the Pegel at the Eisernebrücke in Regensburg to report the Wasserstand at Regensburg, but ships don't have to pass under that bridge, which is quite low, 2.45m according to the chart from @steamboats, because the shipping channel is on the other side of the Stadtamhof island from where that bridge crosses. They don't seem to bother to list the Steinernebrücke at all - not much could get through there. 

I posted to illustrate the gravity of the situation, thank you for clarifying and sorry if this has caused any confusion.

State of emergency in parts of Bavaria in the Allgäu region, the Danube basin's right tributaries there get the most rain. Weather front is turning like a wheel in the South of Germany throwing almost all the rain into one massive area with the Upper Rhine less affected. Neckar river has a river traffic ban. And the Regen river has risen again.

Rhine at Iffezheim/Maxau getting close to river traffic ban.

Passau gauge has just gone to 700cm.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

River traffic ban confirmed around Maxau in the Upper Rhine valley. It is still raining far too much for comfort. Right now you can see the rain drifting into Germany from the opposite direction of what is normal, i.e. the West. So the vast majority of that water is coming down over the Danube catchment area:

https://www.wettergefahren.de/wetter/deutschland/aktuell/radarfilm.html

A small drift and more will come to the Rhine, which at this point in time we should be happy to take away from the hills if we could - it is hardly raining in the Middle Rhine valley.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

The current forecast for Passau is up to a max of ca. 8.25 m. But this can change. That's just the forecast for the next 24 hours. Currently it's 7.51 m, level 2.

We do have a couple of flooded streets here and some flooded basements basically due to rising groundwater. Rain is still normal here, no heavy rain and no thunderstorms.

steamboats 

Passau gauge has shot up to 755cm. Pfelling gauge is at 612cm. Excursion boats at Kelheim do not sail.

4 minutes ago, DocHifi said:

Compared to then, any guess as to what water levels in Passau could likely reach with the forecasted rain?

I dare not say but the scenario is eerily similar and it gave me an ominous feeling day before yesterday...

Towns and villages are preparing for bad flooding. Regensburg expects flood level 2 and 3 on Sunday according to a Bavarian online newspaper.

Here is a map of the gauges and their current state:

image.png.edba863cde531c355d56c4ed283741a2.png

The Stuttgart area is the Neckar - that goes to the Rhine. Follow the line at Ingolstadt to the left - that is the upper Danube and its right tributaries in a bad state of red and purple.

notamermaid

3 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Currently it's 7.51 m, level 2.

1 minute ago, notamermaid said:

Passau gauge has shot up to 755cm.

A slight difference in reporting can happen depending on when the respective website is updated. Just saying so that folks are not confused.

notamermaid

Posted (edited)

So if we are going down stream from Passau to Budapest (2 June- 8 June), your thoughts? Any additional bridges that would be problematic?

Edited by DocHifi

Would be downstream from Passau to Budapest 😉.

As the wave is going downstream I'd expect problems during the next week down to Budapest as well.

steamboats 

5 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Now it's 7.59 m at 7:30 pm at Passau.

steamboats 

Rising really fast!

The authorities in Austria do not issue a river traffic ban as fast as it happens in Germany, but yes I agree that it looks as if there will be issues of some sort coming for the other states downstream from Germany. It really is major.

Good to read that things are not too bad at the Isar right now. It is kind of weird, we just have a bit of rain and grey skies here. If you saw the river at Koblenz yesterday, did not read the news and came back to the river tomorrow you would be puzzled and wonder why it is rising so fast. All the brutal stuff is happening South and Southeast of Mannheim. The Moselle is up a bit but not even worth mentioning at this point.

Apparently a Low over Italy is responsible for all this.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The warning bells in our village in western Romania started 15 minutes ago and we were hit with our second doozy of a thunderstorm with hail today after several this week. All Danube levels in Romania still green. 

IMG_20240601_212510.thumb.jpg.1956c512bd6a5470523086d961c6115b.jpgIMG_20240601_210750.thumb.jpg.e297b5098a5c3511f548654aa2cd0aa3.jpg

• Like 3

The heavy rainfall is showing its effect now up to Bratislava. All of Austria is showing rising levels and at Bratislava the small rise compared to yesterday is substantial enough to indicate things to come. Depending on lock action and precipitation in Austria the rise will not be exactly the same as in Germany. I cannot interpret this for you as regards river traffic but to give you an idea here is the graph for Korneuburg in Austria:

https://www.noel.gv.at/wasserstand/#/de/Messstellen/Details/207241/WasserstandPrognose/48Stunden

While the river is rising substantially, the actual volume of water right now coming through is not indicating major flood scenarios in Austria. So much water is still to come from the Upper Danube that the river will keep reacting for several days, so this may change.

@Izengolf Quite the dramatic sky. Interesting that you have a bell warning. Church or fire brigade tower?

notamermaid

• Thanks 2

To expand a little on the gauges map I posted above. Passau district has three markers, one for the Danube, one for the Ilz and one for the Inn. I have enlarged it as in the large map it can cause wrong interpretation:

image.png.5d7ebc98a2ce706d897dd3bcbab5b3fa.png

The Danube has jumped to red, Ilz(stadt) is also on red and Inn is still on green. Red is level 3 and that is high. The gauge of the Danube reached level 3 faster than the forecast had suggested at lunchtime. Inevitably we will see it rise during the next 24 hours. The range suggested for tomorrow is relatively wide. I prefer not to speculate about an exact figure or level 4 tonight.

notamermaid