Danube water levels 2024 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

As it is cold it has been snowing in Bavaria (of course), it is just a bit statistically unusual to have snow as low as 400m in altitude on 20 April. Still, it can happen at the beginning of May. Snow cover in the Bavarian Forest: https://www.br.de/nachrichten/bayern/weitere-schneefaelle-im-hoeheren-bayerischen-wald,UAU77ww

The report mentions Freyung. That is here, only 40km from Passau:

image.png.5574abd576f4a334f8486653e0b2c80b.png

It is the temperature that means when docked in Vilshofen or Passau or Linz, you will have rain but could potentially have sleet on the roads when taking excursions into the hills. Weather report says that snow is possible in Salzburg.

notamermaid

notamermaid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

As it is cold it has been snowing in Bavaria (of course), it is just a bit statistically unusual to have snow as low as 400m in altitude on 20 April. Still, it can happen at the beginning of May. Snow cover in the Bavarian Forest: https://www.br.de/nachrichten/bayern/weitere-schneefaelle-im-hoeheren-bayerischen-wald,UAU77ww

notamermaid

There should be a thumbs down button so I could register my disapproval of the weather. I do really like the snows of winter, but I will be in that area soon and had planned to get up to a location at over 1,000m and had not planned on weather like this. 

2 minutes ago, RDVIK2016 said:

I do really like the snows of winter, but I will be in that area soon and had planned to get up to a location at over 1,000m and had not planned on weather like this. 

That is unfortunate for you. The weather will continue to stay cold for a few days so at that altitude the snow will most likely stay on the ground for a bit. This is the forecast for Wednesday evening:

image.png.5dd2eff3a2423282a5a090ea20473eca.png

You can look at the weather in Lower Bavaria (Niederbayern) here:

https://www.br.de/wetter/action/bayernwetter/bayerntabelle.do?regio=Niederbayern&id=0

Or look at the more detailed page for searching for a place here:

https://www.br.de/wettervorhersage/wetter-bayern/bayern/

It will not be raining as much in Rhineland-Palatinate and minimally warmer so the chance of snow is there but it will not be near the rivers, just in the far high hills.

notamermaid

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

That is unfortunate for you. The weather will continue to stay cold for a few days so at that altitude the snow will most likely stay on the ground for a bit. This is the forecast for Wednesday evening:

image.png.5dd2eff3a2423282a5a090ea20473eca.png

You can look at the weather in Lower Bavaria (Niederbayern) here:

https://www.br.de/wetter/action/bayernwetter/bayerntabelle.do?regio=Niederbayern&id=0

Or look at the more detailed page for searching for a place here:

https://www.br.de/wettervorhersage/wetter-bayern/bayern/

It will not be raining as much in Rhineland-Palatinate and minimally warmer so the chance of snow is there but it will not be near the rivers, just in the far high hills.

notamermaid

notamermaid,

Well I do still have almost two weeks before I am there, but it may be messy in the areas that got snow. Fingers crossed and Daumen drücken. Check out Großer Arber - minus 2 for a high tomorrow day - also wind gusts up to 55km. No thank you!  Fortunately the mountain I want to be on, Hoher Bogen, is only just over 1,000m, but Arber is another 400m taller. Thank you for the links - I mostly use wetteronline.de but I like the presentation on that first one from BR. 

RDVIK

Making waves - Danube waves

Okay, one wave actually. The Donauwelle is a cake with a wavy pattern and containing cherries. Have a look at the photo and try it when you are sailing on the river if you like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donauwelle

Of course you could bake it yourself, there are recipes on youtube with full instructions.

notamermaid

• Like 1

19 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Making waves - Danube waves

Okay, one wave actually. The Donauwelle is a cake with a wavy pattern and containing cherries. Have a look at the photo and try it when you are sailing on the river if you like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donauwelle

Of course you could bake it yourself, there are recipes on youtube with full instructions.

notamermaid

That looks delicious!  We're sailing the Danube on the Scenic Amber next September (our first river cruise) and I'm hoping they have lots of local/regional food items like this!

1 hour ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

That looks delicious!  We're sailing the Danube on the Scenic Amber next September (our first river cruise) and I'm hoping they have lots of local/regional food items like this!

Have a great cruise.

Quiet a few sweet delicacies to try along the Danube, especially in Austria. Whereas Sachertorte originates from Vienna, nobody knows for sure who invented the Donauwelle.

In Vienna, Wiener Schnitzel is a must. Food nerd fact, but an important one: "Wiener Schnitzel" is made with veal whereas "Schnitzel Wiener Art" is made with pork. It has to be made clear in a restaurant menu which you are getting, veal or pork.

notamermaid

• Like 2

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Have a great cruise.

Quiet a few sweet delicacies to try along the Danube, especially in Austria. Whereas Sachertorte originates from Vienna, nobody knows for sure who invented the Donauwelle.

In Vienna, Wiener Schnitzel is a must. Food nerd fact, but an important one: "Wiener Schnitzel" is made with veal whereas "Schnitzel Wiener Art" is made with pork. It has to be made clear in a restaurant menu which you are getting, veal or pork.

notamermaid

What about Turkey or Chicken schnitzel? 

1 minute ago, Rebel54 said:

What about Turkey or Chicken schnitzel? 

Ah, yes, Schnitzel Wiener Art is also made with chicken. A small restaurant nearby where I live offers that. Turkey I guess works also but I assume it could get a bit dry. Still, a good chef can do wonders...

The tourism website suggests trying these: https://www.austria.info/en/things-to-do/food-and-drink/top-austrian-dishes

I like Linzer Torte, have actually never tried the Knödel. I absolutely loved the apple strudel the pastry chef made on my river cruise. Baked to perfection, not too sweet, with a light vanilla sauce. My favourite dessert on the cruise.

notamermaid

46 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Ah, yes, Schnitzel Wiener Art is also made with chicken. A small restaurant nearby where I live offers that. Turkey I guess works also but I assume it could get a bit dry. Still, a good chef can do wonders...

The tourism website suggests trying these: https://www.austria.info/en/things-to-do/food-and-drink/top-austrian-dishes

I like Linzer Torte, have actually never tried the Knödel. I absolutely loved the apple strudel the pastry chef made on my river cruise. Baked to perfection, not too sweet, with a light vanilla sauce. My favourite dessert on the cruise.

notamermaid

I remember when I lived in Germany having it Turkey. It was pretty good.  It's thin enough that it isn't too dry.  Lots of lemon made it extra yummy. I don't eat pork anymore so I have to find ways to get to enjoy some of my favorites without eating what I can't.

I make homemade apfel strudel at home.  Sooo yummy.  Hmm need to make that again soon.

As we are talking about Vienna: there may be more obvious sights that you are likely going to look at while in the city. But why not check out the zoo? It has an interesting history and a fabulous setting with some beautiful architecture. Here is a documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj18gj6cksk&list=PLAocIS-jUf43o_1sY5kyJu4KfaV9Km9bo&index=85

notamermaid

Just a note of thanks for this topic. We're flying across the pond May 1 from Maryland to do the Viking Romantic Danube from Budapest to Regensburg May 3. I guess so far, so good on the water levels. Our first river cruise, very excited. Also enjoying the history and geography sidebars.

32 minutes ago, MeHerAndLittleElse said:

I guess so far, so good on the water levels.

Indeed. All good in Germany. It is forecast to gradually get warmer Thursday to Saturday, more what we expect in April, so nicer conditions for those sailing this weekend.

Have a great cruise.

By the way folks, 1 May as "Workers' Day" is a public holiday in Germany, Slovakia and Hungary but not in Austria. Austria has the 1st of May as its National Day and is therefore also a public holiday.

notamermaid

May Day is one of the ancient days of the year, this one heralding the start of summer one of the rarely remembered days. Now used to remember workers solidarity and why not! Although I remember a Wiccan warning against changing or forgetting ‘the ancients’ at the time it was just a little spooky.

1 hour ago, wandb said:

Weather wise and water-level wise, what is the best month for cruising the Danube?

I would go for May. Nature is well into spring, snow melt is gone. Low water starts in summer. There can be flooding in May (in 1999 it was severe) but historically/statistically June is surprisingly worse for flooding than May. That all applies to Germany only.

Note that as soon as you leave out the Regensburg to Vilshofen stretch summer to autumn becomes more attractive, by that I mean reliable for good levels, as you avoid the shallow areas. Then Vilshofen to Budapest is usually good. I have no info on the river further downstream.

notamermaid

18 hours ago, wandb said:

Weather wise and water-level wise, what is the best month for cruising the Danube?

While I cannot speak to water levels, I live in Romania and consider April to early May some of our most beautiful weather. It is warm, sometimes hot, the trees are in flower, perfect for walking around in places where there isn't any shade compared to summer when it could be blistering hot. Of course it is spring so you could get clouds and rain but this is more common where I am mid-May to June. Right after the tomatoes go in because it has been so nice 😡

• Like 1

A reminder to anyone on a Lower Danube river cruise that this weekend is Orthodox Easter with Good Friday being May 3, Easter Sunday May 5 and Easter Monday May 6. Many stores will be closed in Romania (so also in Serbia and Bulgaria I would guess) on these dates and you might find towns quiet as people do not work or use loud machinery or tools on holy days. If you have an opportunity to view the inside of an Orthodox church I recommend it as the art and decorations are beautiful!

Hungary is Catholic and will not be affected. 

Edited by Izengolf
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wandb said:

I think I'll try for end of April to middle  of May.

Hope your cruise will be great.

It is 1 May so we will have a look at April and its river levels. I think I can say that this is not a spoiler when I tell you all already that the past month has been good. Graph coming later.

notamermaid

10 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Hope your cruise will be great.

It is 1 May so we will have a look at April and its river levels. I think I can say that this is not a spoiler when I tell you all already that the past month has been good. Graph coming later.

notamermaid

Hi Notamermaid,

We were in Freilassing on April 21 and did have to walk to the bahnhof in the snow.  The week before in Wurzburg was almost summery.  We watched the lock being worked on in Wurzburg and saw the new iron gates they would be installing, which as now has been done.  Good cruising to all!

• Like 1

There has been an accident in the Main Danube Canal. During last night a river cruise ship hit the gate at Bamberg lock. The ship is 130m long with 117 passengers on board, according to the report. No injuries reported. The lock was closed for several hours. If I understand it correctly traffic has resumed. It sounds a minor incident thankfully, with little delay for shipping. Ship name not disclosed.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

130m is an interesting length. The closest to the canal with that length on Cruisemapper is the SS Beatrice at 125m. If so, the captain will not be pleased about it, he and his first mate took their jobs very seriously.