Danube water levels 2024 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

You are so right, mind you I love hearing Welsh spoken by an expert or native speaker - listen very Carefully (I will say this only once) and the odd very recognisable word is spoken as for more, shall we say modern things there is no Welsh word.

18 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

You are so right, mind you I love hearing Welsh spoken by an expert or native speaker - listen very Carefully (I will say this only once) and the odd very recognisable word is spoken as for more, shall we say modern things there is no Welsh word.

I think the true English (ancient brits) are Welsh.They fled to Wales,Cornwall and Brittany when we were invaded by various races.Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Just ever so slightly, you’ll find enclaves of original Brits/Welsh/Scots all over the U.K. then add in French who invaded here big time! with there mixture ethnicities and then the Celts have a lot to answer for. That’s why I recon we are most probably the most mixed up race ever - viva La difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

There are Welsh words for all things modern.  In conversation some just say the easiest thing.  

One great word is the word for microwave.  Poptyping.  Literally, pinging oven.  

Hungary has just like Austria employed the military for help in the flood protection. Things are going well according to the authorities. Unfortunately though, the Danube is draining more slowly than expected. The peak will be on Saturday and at about a height expected, i.e. what the predictions had indicated a couple of days or so, but it will take longer to leave the country.

Some info: https://hungarytoday.hu/flooding-expected-to-peak-in-the-capital-on-saturday/

notamermaid

45 minutes ago, littlek26 said:

Hello  Leaving from Buffalo Ny today for Viking cruise from Budapest to Regensburg..been reading your updates...what are our chances that this crusie happens??😓 

Extremely doubtful it will happen as scheduled.The river is not draining very quickly. Not surprised that Viking has not been forthcoming with information. Most likely they will use the ship as a hotel at least for a couple of days, busing you to your next stop (Bratislava?) then bus you back to the hotel that night. But that should only work for Bratislava. Surely, even Viking would not do a day trip to Vienna and bus you back to Budapest. Maybe hotel in Vienna?  

Viking, historically, is not very passenger friendly, or communicative, in irregular ops. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenster said:

Extremely doubtful it will happen as scheduled.The river is not draining very quickly. Not surprised that Viking has not been forthcoming with information. Most likely they will use the ship as a hotel at least for a couple of days, busing you to your next stop (Bratislava?) then bus you back to the hotel that night. But that should only work for Bratislava. Surely, even Viking would not do a day trip to Vienna and bus you back to Budapest. Maybe hotel in Vienna?  

Viking, historically, is not very passenger friendly, or communicative, in irregular ops. 

If you scroll up, I posted already about this exact cruise. An email was sent Wednesday from Viking. The embarkation is no longer in Budapest, instead people are being met at the airport, bussed to Bratislava, there was also a ship swap to the Egil, and embarking there. Additionally, the email explained how the excursions to Budapest would work etc. so not sure why the poster above has not checked their email before flying. 

additionally, Bratislava wasn’t even a stop on the romantic itinerary so it could be a bonus port, in fact we will be doing that instead of Budapest. And the next stop was Vienna on Monday so I think things should be decent on the river in that direction by then. 

Edited by hermione8181

Still no word from Emerald , except that it's a FLUID situation for Sunday out of Budapest.

8 minutes ago, hermione8181 said:

If you scroll up, I posted already about this exact cruise. An email was sent Wednesday from Viking. The embarkation is no longer in Budapest, instead people are being met at the airport, bussed to Bratislava, there was also a ship swap to the Egil, and embarking there. Additionally, the email explained how the excursions to Budapest would work etc. so not sure why the poster above has not checked their email before flying. 

additionally, Bratislava wasn’t even a stop on the romantic itinerary so it could be a bonus port, in fact we will be doing that instead of Budapest. And the next stop was Vienna on Monday so I think things should be decent on the river in that direction by then. 

We're booked to leave week from today for Munich-to-Budapest Danube cruise. News continues to be discouraging. Think it's time to activate Plan B (request refund, look at other destinations). ☹️   

6 minutes ago, adkturn said:

We're booked to leave week from today for Munich-to-Budapest Danube cruise. News continues to be discouraging. Think it's time to activate Plan B (request refund, look at other destinations). ☹️

I'm not an expert but leaving from Nuremberg or Passau ( the Danube doesn't go to Munich) but you are behind the flood and following it so a week from now in a decent spot to have a "cruise as advertised." Notamermaid can correct me though!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, adkturn said:

Going Eastbound is improving pretty quickly. 
where do you actually board the ship?  And when?  The river seems to be open up to, but just short of, Vienna, so far. That stretch will likely be open this weekend. . You’re almost two weeks away from that point.  Should be smooth sailing all the way to Budapest by then. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Izengolf said:

I'm not an expert but leaving from Nuremberg or Passau ( the Danube doesn't go to Munich) but you are behind the flood and following it so a week from now in a decent spot to have a "cruise as advertised." Notamermaid can correct me though!

Clarification: Emerald will pick us up in Munich, transport us to pier in Regensburg where we embark. If cruise happens "as advertised" that would be wunderbar!  

15 minutes ago, adkturn said:

Board at Regensburg on Sept. 29.

I truly believe your cruise will be unaffected. I would definitely go. You’ll be two weeks behind the flood crest. The river will be back close to normal. No worries about LOW water!!!  You’ll have beautiful, mild Autumn weather. (A little chilly at night) Mostly sunny days, and very low chances of rain. Maybe a little shower here and there. 

Sounds perfect to me!  
Have wonderful time! 

Edited by Kenster
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Small progress in Austria:

image.thumb.png.5b57a33f2d98288b24b8084c0f02589d.png

notamermaid

Hello notamermaid,

Well, at least they got the situation at the Wallsee Schleuse resolved!  Still no river traffic downstream from Krems all the way, I think, to Belgrade. 

There are still many boats at Bratislava that cannot move. It will be quite a scramble to get them redistributed when the river opens up to them. One poster has written about starting their cruise in Bratislava instead of Budapest. I reckon that it will be a new experience for the city and port of Bratislava to see multiple international cruise companies starting itineraries there. 

RDVIK

• Like 1

Well we are off to the airport to catch our Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt and then off to Prague arriving around 11AM Saturday local time. I will post something after we get checked in at the hotel with the Viking representative. Thanks all for sharing and keeping us geographically challenged Americans informed and educated on the flow of the Danube River!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, luv2trvlmep said:

Well we are off to the airport to catch our Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt and then off to Prague arriving around 11AM Saturday local time. I will post something after we get checked in at the hotel with the Viking representative. Thanks all for sharing and keeping us geographically challenged Americans informed and educated on the flow of the Danube River!

Since Prague is not on the Danube or any of her tributaries, you will have a bus trip to a Danube port anyway. Which one, and when will that be ?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, luv2trvlmep said:

I will post something after we get checked in at the hotel with the Viking representative.

That would be really nice. Have a good trip.

58 minutes ago, hermione8181 said:

Ships are sailing in and out of regensberg now. I think by the 29th you are pretty good shape.

That is my assessment also.

1 hour ago, Izengolf said:

Notamermaid can correct me though!

No need to. :classic_smile:

River is really improving and anyone starting in Nuremberg, or Regensburg will most likely have a splendid time on the river. Vilshofen is better and Passau is down to 641cm which should mean that all river cruise can fit under the bridge, if not today yet then I am sure tomorrow.

Weather is cloudy to sunny, rain will only fall in small to moderate amounts. Temperatures good for autumn, getting lower next week.

River improving in Austria, should further improve over the weekend. Hopefully we will have Vienna back for cruising soon. Korneuburg gauge is now below HSW*, Wildungsmauer as well. So this is looking promising. *highest level permitted for river traffic (the authorities do not necessarily stick to the exact figure)

Folks, I am short on time unfortunately. In the next few days I may not be posting much.

notamermaid

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2