Marseille - Excursion Recommendations

Racer70

Hello - 1st time to Europe, veteran cruisers. We’ll be arriving in Marseille on Tuesday, June 18, 2024 on RCI’s Oasis of the Seas from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm

It will be myself and my teenager. Looking for recommendations on things to do & see through a reputable local tour company that specializes in port excursions.

Thanks for advice & recommendations.

13 hours ago, Racer70 said:

Looking for recommendations on things to do & see through a reputable local tour company that specializes in port excursions.

If you plan to spend your time in the city, unless you absolutely must have one, a tour isn't actually essential as boat trips, HOHOs, little tourist trains and watching boats come and go in the harbour require no further explanation.  You might find it helpful to read the following link. (and I know you have an older child, but the options are the same)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2982828-marseille-with-kids/#comment-66691124

Should you plan to venture further afield on a tour, expect it to be costly and your time in port is actually quite short,and within that shorter time, you would need to allow for transport into and back from the city.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

We did a tour to the Chateau D'If. Ferries are located right at the harbor and it was really quite interesting and something a teen might enjoy. We also took the tiny train tour the drops you Notre Dame De La Garde. Both if these things we were able to just do on our own without a tour. There are a lot of restaurants, and shops around the harbor that make for a nice day.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 2:59 PM, edinburgher said:

Looking for recommendations on things to do & see through a reputable local tour company that specializes in port excursions.

Racer70, you will read that karatemom2 did some of the same activities I suggested to you.

• Thanks 1

Just some thoughts for the OP.  We consider Marseille (a place we have been many times) as more of a gateway port for Provence rather than its own destination.  Yes, we have spent a couple of days in Marseille just exploring local things, but this is not what we would suggest for a first-time visitor.  Much has been written (some by me) about all the many options for a port day in Marseille and there are ideas for all kinds of wants/desires

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2024 at 11:40 AM, karatemom2 said:

We did a tour to the Chateau D'If.

The Chateau D'lf is the legendary island prison from which The Count of Montecristo made his escape in the book by Alexander Dumas.     Its a good movie. too.

The seas were rough and the time short so we missed this when in Provence but will try again next time.

The cathedral mentioned by karatemom2 is also a must-see for first time visitors. 

It's Spectacular.

• Thanks 1

I do not want to rain on anyone's parade so gave some thought to posting a comment about Chateau d'If.  Having been to the port many times, there was one day when we decided to stay in Marseille (we usually head north into Provence) and have a local day.  We grabbed a local bus and explored some of the better suburbs.  We also took the ferry boat over to Chateau d"if to explore and were not impressed.  Yes, you can walk through parts of the Chateau (more like a castle) and we actually had fun.  But we have long through that the only "best thing" about Marseille is Bouillabaisse and nothing has ever changed that opinion.  I will also add that even the French do not seem to very fond of Marseille which is considered the most dangers, crime ridden cities, in all of France.  We had no problem with crime, but remain unimpressed with Marseille...especially when considered to so many fantastic places that are throughout Provence.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We also took the ferry boat over to Chateau d"if to explore and were not impressed. 

Thanks for the tip...we also don't want to spoil anybody's Grey Poupon,  but for us the decision is pretty obvious:

Fish Soup vs.  Unesco World Heritage Site 

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We had no problem with crime, but remain unimpressed with Marseille...especially when considered to so many fantastic places that are throughout Provence.

Hank, definitely true that there are some beautiful places to visit in Provence, but unless paying for a shorex or private tour, or hiring a car, these trips  involve travel into and back from the city then travelling by public transport, sometimes requiring a change along the way, and can be quite logistically challenging and fairly time consuming, something that not everyone is keen to do, especially if their knowledge of French is basic or nil.

It is a shame you cannot see the better side of Marseille if only as a port day, as the city has boomed since it became a European City of Culture back in 2013, and  transformed itself.  Contrary to what your thoughts are, since then many new businesses have relocated or opened, more folks have moved there, new attractions  have been constructed and the public transport system modernised and expanded.  The modern  tramway is especially useful and opened long before 2013.  It has also become popular for weekend and short breaks.

Suggestions I have made for cruise pax,  especially those with children and those with mobility issues, will actually be really easy to do, as  they are in close proximity to each other with minimal walking, and I strongly believe offer a diversity of activities for all ages within a few minutes of the cruise shuttle drop off and pick up points.

We have spent port days in far worse and a lot less interesting towns and cities.

Edited by edinburgher

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Hank, definitely true that there are some beautiful places to visit in Provence, but unless paying for a shorex or private tour, or hiring a car, these trips  involve travel into and back from the city then travelling by public transport, sometimes requiring a change along the way, and can be quite logistically challenging and fairly time consuming, something that not everyone is keen to do, especially if their knowledge of French is basic or nil.

It is a shame you cannot see the better side of Marseille if only as a port day, as the city has boomed since it became a European City of Culture back in 2013, and  transformed itself.  Contrary to what your thoughts are, since then many new businesses have relocated or opened, more folks have moved there, new attractions  have been constructed and the public transport system modernised and expanded.  The modern  tramway is especially useful and opened long before 2013.  It has also become popular for weekend and short breaks.

Suggestions I have made for cruise pax,  especially those with children and those with mobility issues, will actually be really easy to do, as  they are in close proximity to each other with minimal walking, and I strongly believe offer a diversity of activities for all ages within a few minutes of the cruise shuttle drop off and pick up points.

We have spent port days in far worse and a lot less interesting towns and cities.

I guess you and I can agree to disagree on this little topic.  Having spent months in Provence (with rentals in both Avignon and St Remy) we have grown quite fond of this part of France.  No question that staying in a port (for cruisers) is generally the easiest and least costly option.  One could go to Civitavecchia and simply stay there (why go to Rome) or go to Livorno and stay there (why go to Florence) or go to Marseille and stay in Marseille.  We will stick to our opinion that there are many more charming places, in Provence, than Marseille.

Hank

• Like 1

@edinburgher and @Hlitner-

I agree with Hank on this one. We lived outside of Nice for a while and have traveled extensively in that area. We now return often on land trips and the occasional cruise. 

Marseille has been improved in the past few years, however, it does remain a gateway to the rest of Provence.  Many (most?) readers of this forum are on a first time visit to this area and probably have an idealized image of "Provence."  That image is real and it exists inland away from Marseille.  Making do with the few attractions of Marseille does not compensate for the fantastic villages, cities and landscapes of the interior of Provence that they would miss if they stay in Marseille.   

Yes, it does require additional expense and planning to visit elsewhere in the area, but readers have a wide range of budgets. It is up to each person to decide what they can afford.  Many cruisers are very budget conscious and seek to sightsee without adding excursions away from the port.  But this is a place where budgeting and planning for excursions pays off. 

Granted, a few do want to stay in Marseille for various reasons and it is good to point out the local highlights to them.  But for the average cruiser who wants to know what to do in Marseille, the best answer is to encourage them to get out and visit elsewhere in Provence.  (Just as encouraging others to go to Rome from Civitavecchia or to Florence from Livorno.)

On 1/31/2024 at 4:04 AM, JRG said:

Thanks for the tip...we also don't want to spoil anybody's Grey Poupon,  but for us the decision is pretty obvious:

Edited by ollienbertsmum

On 1/31/2024 at 4:04 AM, JRG said:

I am not sure that the decision is so obvious if you are referring to Chateau D’If which I am not convinced is a WHS Now if you are going to Avignon, that is a WHS and I think matches bouillabaisse for being a special part of your day. 

I actually thought that the soup IS an intangible heritage.  I checked. Gastronomy is, but soup  was not on the list.  

I have to agree with previous comments that Marseille is a port that we usually leave.  This has resulted in some great days out.  On one occasion, however, we walked up to the Notre Dame Cathedral and enjoyed the views.  On the way down we stopped in a kitchen utensil shop and I bought the best ever egg pricker.  We eat a lot of boiled eggs so I think about that cruise several times a month.  😂😂😂

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I am not sure that the decision is so obvious if you are referring to Chateau D’If which I am not convinced is a WHS Now if you are going to Avignon, that is a WHS and I think matches bouillabaisse for being a special part of your day. 

I actually thought that the soup IS an intangible heritage.  I checked. Gastronomy is, but soup  was not on the list.  

I have to agree with previous comments that Marseille is a port that we usually leave.  This has resulted in some great days out.  On one occasion, however, we walked up to the Notre Dame Cathedral and enjoyed the views.  On the way down we stopped in a kitchen utensil shop and I bought the best ever egg pricker.  We eat a lot of boiled eggs so I think about that cruise several times a month.  😂😂😂

These kind of discussions are fun.  In the final analysis folks make their own decisions and we just smile and sometimes say, "bless your heart."   

6 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Sacre Bleu @ollienbertsmum  you are absolutely right,  and I stand corrected.

I swear on the grave of Jim Morrison that my search engine has failed me,  and returned the results for another Chateau.

Nevertheless,    the Chateau D'if retains a certain "Je Ne Sais Quoi" that  cannot be Diss'd, and the 1700+ reviews on Trip Advisor tell the story and there is a good description if you are interested.

For a first time visitor with a teenager,  or a lover of Classical Literature ,  it might be a good call.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2024 at 10:42 PM, marazul said:

We lived outside of Nice for a while and have traveled extensively in that area. We now return often on land trips and the occasional cruise. 

What a wonderful opportunity for you and being closer to Nice was an added bonus, as Cannes is not the most interesting of towns and we much prefer Nice and surrounding area. Further west than your base, living in the "arriere pays"near Valbonne for a year didn't change the view that Nice offers so much more, although Antibes and the Mimosa Route still hold special memories.

Marseille has been improved in the past few years, however, it does remain a gateway to the rest of Provence.  Many (most?) readers of this forum are on a first time visit to this area and probably have an idealized image of "Provence."  That image is real and it exists inland away from Marseille.  Making do with the few attractions of Marseille does not compensate for the fantastic villages, cities and landscapes of the interior of Provence that they would miss if they stay in Marseille. 

Yes, it does require additional expense and planning to visit elsewhere in the area, but readers have a wide range of budgets. It is up to each person to decide what they can afford.  Many cruisers are very budget conscious and seek to sightsee without adding excursions away from the port.  But this is a place where budgeting and planning for excursions pays off. 

And there is no doubting the sights and scenery which can be seen from a large bus or a private van can be lovely, but in  a short period of time, "a glimpse of Provence" is all they will get for their often long and quite costly day, as the region of Provence requires a stay of several weeks, a car and a trusty Green Michelin guide,as many of the best sights cannot be accessed any other way. With a number of day trips to the Luberon valley and elsewhere in the region already behind us,  our first land tour with a rental  was only 3 weeks long  as that was the maximum work leave on offer at the time   and as  it wasn't long enough,  we returned a year later for another three weeks to "complete" Provence, that second time giving us the opportunity to expand our itinerary and to return to Marseille airport  after driving part  of the  Route Napoleon from the nearby Gorges du Verdon and ending at the coast.

a few do want to stay in Marseille for various reasons and it is good to point out the local highlights to them.  But for the average cruiser who wants to know what to do in Marseille, the best answer is to encourage them to get out and visit elsewhere in Provence.  (Just as encouraging others to go to Rome from Civitavecchia or to Florence from Livorno.)

My suggestions for sightseeing in Marseille ( the capital of Bouches- du- Rhone department and  one of the gateways to Provence) were based on inclusivity for all, regardless of budget, the number or ages of children or any disability or mobility issues. In close proximity to the shuttle buses and to each other, they also offer quite a variety of  easy options and interests for those who decide to stay in the city, and I don't think  it  was wrong to say that.

The same with Seville from Cadiz when Cadiz offers as much as it does. I would never encourage  anyone to travel these time consuming distances to places where they can barely scratch the surface of the main sights in such a short period of time, more so now that everywhere is so crowded and it is becoming more and more necessary to pre-book timed entry slots to a number of sights as that complicates matters when planning a visitf only a  few short hours.  As Livorno itself has so little to offer, I would always recommend a visit instead of Florence,to lovelyLucca with or without the addition of Pisa depending on their interests, but it is true that most want to "tick boxes" and won't be deterred, and that is their personal decision. I suppose it helps us, that being Europe based, it is much easier and less expensive for us to make frequent trips to European cities, towns and regions.

Edited by edinburgher

On 1/31/2024 at 1:33 AM, Hlitner said:

We had no problem with crime, but remain unimpressed with Marseille...especially when considered to so many fantastic places that are throughout Provence.

But we have long through that the only "best thing" about Marseille is Bouillabaisse and nothing has ever changed that opinion. I will also add that even the French do not seem to very fond of Marseille which is considered the most dangers, crime ridden cities, in all of France. 

Hank, I wasn't at all surprised to read that Marseille has the highest crimer rate in France as it is the second largest city with a population of not far short of a million and as all of us can agree, the larger a city, the higher the crime figures. and as all of us also know, there will be certain districts which are best avoided, those where the crime rate is the highest, but we also know that these are not commonly areas where tourists would venture. We have a few of these in Edinburgh too, but they are not "on the tourist trail" which I suppose is why tourists continue to visit in ever increasing numbers.   I expect it is the same in many US cities and I researched a little before replying. I  did find this. "Crime rates in Marseille are similar or lower than those of some American cities"  Memphis which is  described as the  #2 "most dangerous city in the US" has,  I understand, many visiting musicians and visitors who must be undeterred.   Marseille visitor numbers have been increasing year on year, and approached close to  10 million in 2023.

I was more surprised to unexpectedly  find Montpellier so high on the "highest crime rates in France" list, a city we enjoyed visiting without being aware of its reputation although we had no concerns when exploring on a land trip. It is visited by some passengers on port calls to nearby  Sete. Also Paris at #4 and Nice at #5   On all of our visits to the main tourist areas in  Marseille we have strolled around relaxed and comfortable, not something we always enjoyed elsewhere,  Barcelona being a prime example, unable to relax due to having to be  fully alert at all times to the possibility of petty theft or scams.  Not surprisingly, Barcelona is on the top ten "highest crime rate in Spain" list, alongside Bilbao and Seville, . By now,interested enough to continue, featuring on the "highest crime rates in Italy" list are Naples, Venice, Florence, Rome, Bologna and Livorno.   By this point I was thinking nobody should ever leave the safety of a ship!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 1:33 AM, Hlitner said:

We grabbed a local bus and explored some of the better suburbs. 

Hank, you could have done so much more instead. Culture and history.

Potentially additional useful information for others.

Consider exploring  le Panier district. The oldest in the city. There are entrances to it from a block or two behind the Old Port, but the main entrance/exit there  is via Rue Poiriers, an incredibly steep street (the handrails are there for a reason) which is best avoided if you value your legs. 😀

An alternative with flat, easy access is next to the Cathedrale de la Major, (when facing the Cathedral, the small entry streets are to the right) barely 5 minutes walk from the Old Port  and across from MUCEM , in turn next to the fort St-Jean. (These locations are where the cruise shuttles usually drop off and pick up) Entering from this direction also gives the opportunitiy to visit MUCEM and the Cathedral. Lacking the views enjoyed from the Basilica Notre-Dame-de-la Garde, the Cathedral is nonetheless worth visiting inside and is one of the largest in France. Entry is free. 

Le Panier offers a few sights, but it is mostly best for strolling the narrow streets.  At the top is Place des Moulins, the perfect location for rest and resfreshments, although only two towers of the original windmills mills remain, and these are incorporated into homes.  All downhill from there,  means you can exit down the steep Rue Poiriers, much better for the legs than going up.  The splendid looking  Intercontinental Hotel is only a few steps away and has a lovely outdoor terrace with views of ND de la Garde and a little of the old port.  Across from it is the "Maison Diamantee" a building with unusual design features.

Info on MUCEM, the Cathedral, le Panier, Maison Diamantee, bouillabaisse etc can all be found online.

And for history enthusiasts, Marseille, having been founded by the Greeks around 600 BC (or perhaps even earlier) has a rich history, and visting any of the museums which display this gives a new perspective of the city.

And if you should want to try the "fish soup"/bouillabaisse recommended by Hank, be wary of where you try it, as there are some "tourist traps" in the city, which charge top prices for poor quality versions. Tthere will of course be info, reviews and recommendations to be found online, but this is a past thread to readt  for anyone planning to try this,but this is past thread  is a decent starting point.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2872038-bouillabaisse-in-marseille-recommendations/

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Hank, you could have done so much more instead. Culture and history.

Potentially additional useful information for others.

Consider exploring  le Panier district. The oldest in the city. There are entrances to it from a block or two behind the Old Port, but the main entrance/exit there  is via Rue Poiriers, an incredibly steep street (the handrails are there for a reason) which is best avoided if you value your legs. 😀

An alternative with flat, easy access is next to the Cathedrale de la Major, (when facing the Cathedral, the small entry streets are to the right) barely 5 minutes walk from the Old Port  and across from MUCEM , in turn next to the fort St-Jean. (These locations are where the cruise shuttles usually drop off and pick up) Entering from this direction also gives the opportunitiy to visit MUCEM and the Cathedral. Lacking the views enjoyed from the Basilica Notre-Dame-de-la Garde, the Cathedral is nonetheless worth visiting inside and is one of the largest in France. Entry is free. 

Le Panier offers a few sights, but it is mostly best for strolling the narrow streets.  At the top is Place des Moulins, the perfect location for rest and resfreshments, although only two towers of the original windmills mills remain, and these are incorporated into homes.  All downhill from there,  means you can exit down the steep Rue Poiriers, much better for the legs than going up.  The splendid looking  Intercontinental Hotel is only a few steps away and has a lovely outdoor terrace with views of ND de la Garde and a little of the old port.  Across from it is the "Maison Diamantee" a building with unusual design features.

Info on MUCEM, the Cathedral, le Panier, Maison Diamantee, bouillabaisse etc can all be found online.

And for history enthusiasts, Marseille, having been founded by the Greeks around 600 BC (or perhaps even earlier) has a rich history, and visting any of the museums which display this gives a new perspective of the city.

And if you should want to try the "fish soup"/bouillabaisse recommended by Hank, be wary of where you try it, as there are some "tourist traps" in the city, which charge top prices for poor quality versions. Tthere will of course be info, reviews and recommendations to be found online, but this is a past thread to readt  for anyone planning to try this,but this is past thread  is a decent starting point.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2872038-bouillabaisse-in-marseille-recommendations/

We did all those usual tourist things (using the local bus system to get around town and up to some of the suburbs) and had an enjoyable day.  But let me try to put Marseille in perspective.  One could fly into Newark Airport (you can even get non-stop flights from the UK) and spend an entire day in the city of Newark, New Jersey!  You can even find some touristy things in that area and go home thinking, I had a nice day in Newark (as long as you were not mugged).  And, of course, there would be no reason to go a few miles distant to New York City.  And that is how I think of Marseille, kind of like Newark with much of Provence being akin to going through the tunnel (or over the bridge) to New York City.  And guess where 99.9% of visitors spend their time?  It is not that Marseille is a terrible place (like most cities it does have some charms) but rather that it is the gateway (for cruisers) to one of the most beloved regions of France.  We used to suggest that first-time visitors to this part of France read Peter Mayle's "A Year in Provence" to get a feel for the region.  My goodness, I believe that Peter Mayle had the audacity to write of Provence and barely mention Marseille  :).  

One interesting factoid about Peter Mayle was that although his roots where English, he chose to live out many of his senior years on Long Island, NY.  But eventually he did return to Provence (the Luberon) where he made his final home.

Hank

Hank

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We used to suggest that first-time visitors to this part of France read Peter Mayle's "A Year in Provence" to get a feel for the region. 

It was indeed an amusing book to read, but "a Year in Provence" is hardly the same as a few short hours.  Anyway,I have given as much info as I can for folks who, for whatever reason, decide to stay in the city, the extras posted  only possible due to sports viewing yesterday and today which meant I had free time, as Feb 1 saw us begin attempting to clear "accumulated stuff" as we hope to move house at some point this year.

• 1 month later...

I see the author has made up his mind but wanted to add my 2 cents.  We took a bike tour through the Calanques National Park which was the highlight of our cruise with no shortage of amazing sites.  We Uber-ed to the starting point of the tour which took about a 1/2 hour from the port.  I highly recommend this trip.  Ours was through Viator but I'm sure there are others.  Don't miss that park.  

• Like 1