ROYAL UP - Ocean View Balcony upgrade

Hi, I have an obstructed view cabin on deck 6 Quantum (picture attached). I had originally booked a GTY to knew the risks. 😊

My question is, thru the Royal Up programme I have an opportunity to bid in an Ocean View Balcony cabin. There is no mention of obstructed. Does anyone know if that would guarentee me not having an obstruction, and that is the upgrade benefit?  Or would I still be at risk of getting another cabin on deck 6.  Thank you. Appreciate any feedback before I bid. Cruise is 29 Jan just over a week away. 

Screenshot_20240118_071157_Chrome.jpg

55 minutes ago, davdenwa said:

Hi, I have an obstructed view cabin on deck 6 Quantum (picture attached). I had originally booked a GTY to knew the risks. 😊

My question is, thru the Royal Up programme I have an opportunity to bid in an Ocean View Balcony cabin. There is no mention of obstructed. Does anyone know if that would guarentee me not having an obstruction, and that is the upgrade benefit?  Or would I still be at risk of getting another cabin on deck 6.  Thank you. Appreciate any feedback before I bid. Cruise is 29 Jan just over a week away. 

Screenshot_20240118_071157_Chrome.jpg

I see there are several 1D cabins still open, deck 9,. Have you tried to just go for a full price upgrade.  Our TA has them priced at under $1300. pp ..Just a thought.. Unless you scored a super GTY rate.  Good chance you would get another obstructed as there are lots of them on deck 6 still open for booking.

Edited by taglovestocruise

Thank you for your reply. Yes I rang Royal twice now regarding full price upgrades. It was VERY expensive and just didn't seem logical, considering now how cheap the cabins are for this itinerary. I actually paid around $700 more than what the current rates are. But that's the gamble you take and not really my issue. I just don't want to bid for an "upgrade" only to get another obstructed cabin on deck 6. I'm just curious as it doesn't say "obstructed" for that category.  My other idea, was just waiting till I embark and speak to guest services and pay for an upgrade that way. We were really unlucky with our GTY cabin allocation. Lesson learnt 😊

Hi its says  "OCEAN VIEW BALCONY" no mention of any obstructions.  It is min bid of $AU80 so $160 all up to bid. I have sent an email to Royal to clarify, but still not heard back.

2 hours ago, davdenwa said:

Thank you for your reply. Yes I rang Royal twice now regarding full price upgrades. It was VERY expensive and just didn't seem logical, considering now how cheap the cabins are for this itinerary. I actually paid around $700 more than what the current rates are. But that's the gamble you take and not really my issue. …..

Hi @davdenwa when you say you paid $700 more than current rates…

1 - are you within the final payment window?

1a - if you are within final payment (ie all paid up), can you request either

option 1 - an upgrade to a cabin that is selling slightly higher than what you paid so that you get a better cabin and recoup your $700 but you sweeten the deal for Royal by also giving them a bit more $$ that what you’ve already paid?

Option 2 - will Royal leave you where you are but give you some OBC or FCC equal to the difference between what you paid & current selling price?

As a predominantly NCL cruiser, I’ve exercised both option 1 and 2 with NCL when I was in that same type of situation (ie cabin is selling for less than I paid & within final payment so can’t cancel without loosing $$)

2 - if you haven’t paid the full fare yet, can you cancel and rebook? I noticed RCL deposits aren’t refundable unless you pay a significantly higher rate for the cabin (NCL deposits ARE refundable up till final,payment, one of the reasons we prefer them).

appreciate answers - by some weird circumstances, I find myself with my 1st ever RCL cruise in Sept, followed by cruise 2 in Nov and cruise 3 in December (sure hope I like the Royal product!)

Thank you so much for your reply.  Yes, I have rung RC twice.  We cruise in 11 days. Fully paid a while ago, but only recently allocated my GTY cabin. I have tried moving cabins, but they said as I was allocated an obstructed from the GTY booking, I have to stay in the same category, so any cabin change would still be on deck 6 and obstructed. I totally understand it is a risk when booking these types. My last booking was a GTY and very happy with allocation. They quoted me on upgrading and it was ridiculously expensive and I couldnt understand how they got to those figures. I didn't mind paying more, as it was a risk booking GTY .. but not at $1000's more.   So I have turned to Royal Up .. the only reasonable priced choice is to go to an "Ocean View Balcony" but I don't want to find myself in the same situation, so was hoping to ask in the cruising community if anyone knew if these could still be obstructed.  It doesnt say anything, and I am presuming it would not be, due to its an upgrade from my allocated "obstructed" cabin.

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

RoyalUp should indicate your Current Category in the header (it may be best seen on a computer rather than a phone).  I suspect Another Critic is asking what how RoyalUp lists your current accommodation.

Correct.

1 hour ago, davdenwa said:

I have tried moving cabins, but they said as I was allocated an obstructed from the GTY booking, I have to stay in the same category, so any cabin change would still be on deck 6 and obstructed.

All obstructed cabins are not the same.  You can research what is available and possibly move to a cabin without the davit obstruction or one with minor obstruction.

Thank you.  I have been researching that a lot.  But to be honest, pretty much most of those obstructed view cabins left are pretty bad on the 6th floor.  I also have to be mindful that the smoking section on level 5 is below some of them too.  Im still researching and hopefully that may be a solution.  I think I would rather look across a lifeboat, rather than the davit. Appreciate your suggestion.

I have something similar with my Spectrum cruise in February. 

Our guarantee is, as expected, on 6 with the lifeboat obstruction. The Royal up category I'm bidding on is OV with large balcony so I'm hoping that may move me to a higher floor. It's only a four night cruise so no big deal if we're stuck with the obstruction. 

As far as I know the royal ups only show upgraded cabins to the one you're  already in, so it should be be a higher category of cabin.

Screenshot_20240118_064529_BTEmail.thumb.jpg.aec7147a18e3eba6542535c347f387a2.jpg

Edited by sgmn

9 hours ago, davdenwa said:

Appreciate your suggestion.

Generally, it’s not a good idea to Royal Up in the same major category because of the chances of getting something not much better. If you wanted something without an obstruction, bid only on the 1C category (large balcony) or JS. Location wise, some of those obstructed balconies on deck 6 are better than a higher category balcony. 

Biker, who thinks fear of an obstructed balcony on Q class is overblown. 

• Like 1

I've seen a few reports very recently (in the last week) that the Royal Up program may not be recognizing GTY rooms appropriately. There was a post on another forum where the person with a GTY was sent options lower than his GTY balcony room - title of the post was "Beware of the RoyalDown Program." Not sure if this is what's happening to you. I agree though, if you were allotted obstructed from the GTY pool, and that is a different category/class of room than unobstructed, that an upgrade would (should) put in you in a different/higher category. 

Thank you for your reply. Yes I rang Royal twice now regarding full price upgrades. It was VERY expensive and just didn't seem logical, considering now how cheap the cabins are for this itinerary. I actually paid around $700 more than what the current rates are. But that's the gamble you take and not really my issue. I just don't want to bid for an "upgrade" only to get another obstructed cabin on deck 6. I'm just curious as it doesn't say "obstructed" for that category.  My other idea, was just waiting till I embark and speak to guest services and pay for an upgrade that way. We were really unlucky with our GTY cabin allocation. Lesson learnt 😊 I've attached my Royal Up offers. These are in Australian dollars, but still quite high considering I already paid top dollar for guarentee. Please don't get me wrong, I knew the risks, just after advice on the royal up option given to move to " Ocean View Balcony".  Thank you. 

Screenshot_20240119_042736_Chrome.jpg

15 minutes ago, davdenwa said:

These are in Australian dollars, but still quite high considering I already paid top dollar for guarentee

Forget Royal Up at those prices and enjoy your current balcony. 

19 hours ago, davdenwa said:

Hi its says  "OCEAN VIEW BALCONY" no mention of any obstructions.  It is min bid of $AU80 so $160 all up to bid. I have sent an email to Royal to clarify, but still not heard back.

Biggest problem is Royal has almost nothing to do with the Royalup program, it is run by a third party that contracts with many cruise lines and hotels. Take anything Royal tells you with a large grain of salt.