Port Canaveral and Marriage License

Just wanted to share. We recently sailed from Port Canaveral and was asked for our marriage license. In 15 cruises we've never been asked for it. The CSR said it was something new they were requiring which I don't believe. She said she wasn't going to be able to check us in. When a supervisor looked over our documents she noticed my wife of 40 years maiden name was on her license as her middle name so we were cleared. I can't imagine paying for the cruise, planning everything, getting excited, driving 10 hours to port, paying for motel the night before, only to have to miss the ship. Even if you've never been asked for your marriage license, it may be worth adding it to your document package.

12 minutes ago, crazyfrazee said:

Just wanted to share. We recently sailed from Port Canaveral and was asked for our marriage license. In 15 cruises we've never been asked for it. The CSR said it was something new they were requiring which I don't believe. She said she wasn't going to be able to check us in. When a supervisor looked over our documents she noticed my wife of 40 years maiden name was on her license as her middle name so we were cleared. I can't imagine paying for the cruise, planning everything, getting excited, driving 10 hours to port, paying for motel the night before, only to have to miss the ship. Even if you've never been asked for your marriage license, it may be worth adding it to your document package.

Were you sailing with only a birth certificate and drivers license instead of a passport?

Even though they don’t t always enforce it they have always required a “bridging” document to show the connection from the maiden name to married name.

Sounds like now they may be getting stricter and making them ask for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Book the cruise with the name that appears on your passport, then there is no issue boarding the ship.

Did they ask for a marriage license, or a marriage certificate? A license doesn't prove you are married. 

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

Were you sailing with only a birth certificate and drivers license instead of a passport?

Even though they don’t t always enforce it they have always required a “bridging” document to show the connection from the maiden name to married name.

Sounds like now they may be getting stricter and making them ask for it.

We once had passport cards but they expired so we sail with BC and DL. My wife doesn't have a middle name from birth so she has always used her name including maiden name plus her married last name on all legal documents. Maybe experienced CSR's have always used that as the bridge.

• Like 1

This was one reason I decided to get a passport book even though I don't see us going out of the country again in the next 10 years.  From now on I'll have one document proving both ID and citizenship in my married name.  
I also made my married name by middle name, and it has been helpful as a bridge in various places.  That hadn't been the intent though.   I didn't have a connection to my middle name, my maiden name died with me, and it was my evil plot to force DH into learning to spell my maiden name.  

Looks like you got lucky on 15 cruises booked with a name that doesn't match the birth certificate.

6 hours ago, crazyfrazee said:

I can't imagine paying for the cruise, planning everything, getting excited, driving 10 hours to port, paying for motel the night before, only to have to miss the ship.

Possibly the expense of a passport would be worthwhile. 

10 hours ago, crazyfrazee said:

I can't imagine paying for the cruise, planning everything, getting excited, driving 10 hours to port, paying for motel the night before, only to have to miss the ship.

That’s the tip of the iceberg.  Now imagine if you and your wife found yourselves needing to return home from another country without passports.  That could happen for several reasons: you are called home from the cruise due to a dire emergency,  one of you is hospitalized in another country due to accident or illness, you miss the ship in port, due to a major mechanical problem the ship leave you stranded in another country, etc.  All those things and more have actually happened to people.  If you travel, renew your passports.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1