(Yet Another) AARP Rewards Gift Card Question

AlpacaBag

Happy Friday Cruisers! Hope you all have had a cheerful week. 🙂

Sorry to be that guy, but I have yet another AARP rewards gift card question.

I tried to buy 3 gift cards today, 1 for $500 and 2 for $100 and am not able to proceed. I only have 1 card (excluding debit, and I don't use that online) so I can't test it with another. The error I get states it's a payment error and to contact my bank.

Now, before you go - why on earth is this person posting here about this question, we are neither his bank or AARP..... 😂😆I am only curious if anyone has run into this specific error before when they are 100% certain:

• there's no error with their bank
  • plenty of available credit
  • card is not locked for "suspected fraud"
  • there's no typos in the CC number, expiry, CVV, or the address
  • using modern updated browser, no ad block, etc....

I phoned AARP and they opened a ticket with their team about it, but in the interim -  I thought I might inquire here... perhaps someone has had this encounter before, opened a support ticket with AARP, and received resolution?

Or, maybe someone is trying to buy a Princess Gift Card from the AARP Rewards Website at this very moment and also experiencing a similar issue?

Cheers! 🙂

Edited by AlpacaBag

13 minutes ago, CruisingSandgroper said:

@AlpacaBagmy husband had the same problem this week, credit card is not the issue. AARP opened up a ticket for him also.

Cheers. Thanks! Just waiting on them to get back to me. I decided to wait on payments towards our voyages until I can get them to resolve the issue. Have 3 cruises booked with Princess and those savings add up!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jwattle said:

Check with your bank; they may be denying it, as you have never purchased from AARP before 🙂

I don't buy this explanation.  If AARP had this type of practice then they would never get any new customers!

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1

My problem is worse, I bought a $500 certificate and the charge went through but the certificate was never loaded. AARP has major issue's with gift cards. Read their community blogs on their web site for yourself.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I don't buy this explanation.  If AARP had this type of practice then they would never get any new customers!

Let me rephrase then: the first time I used one of my cards on AARP, they declined the transaction. I had to call them and let them know that it WAS me making the transaction, as I had never purchased on AARP before. 

5 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Let me rephrase then: the first time I used one of my cards on AARP, they declined the transaction. I had to call them and let them know that it WAS me making the transaction, as I had never purchased on AARP before. 

Then this is something going on with your bank...not AARP.

5 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Then this is something going on with your bank...not AARP.

I know, and I was saying that maybe the op's bank did the same thing, and that a phone call would fix theirs as well.

Just now, jwattle said:

I know, and I was saying that maybe the op's bank did the same thing, and that a phone call would fix theirs as well.

I was on the phone with the fraud department while trying to complete my transaction on the AARP website and their terminals never saw an attempted transaction come thru - no error with the bank.

• Thanks 2