Port of Civitavecchia, Better to get taxi or book private transfer?

jennybenny

We have an early flight out of FCO, 11:40 AM on a Saturday in August. Wondering if it's better to just get off the ship and get a Taxi which does not have a set rate for the airport, or book a private transfer that does. Anyone with experience at the Civitavecchia port?

Thank you in advance. Jennifer

Private transfers tend to be less expensive, plus they will be waiting for you just outside the area where you pick up your luggage. You can't count on having "free" (e.g., not already hired) taxis waiting at the terminal, most have to wait at the port entrance which adds additional hassle to the process.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Thank you @CruiserBruce and @cruisemom42!! I appreciate that. 

I will request a private transfer.

Do you think I can request pick up at 8 AM or is that too early? 8:30 more reasonable? I only have experience arriving to this port, not leaving from it. 

You could go earlier,  at least as early as 7:30. It's an hour to the airport,  and if your flight is direct to the US, you may need all the suggested 3 hours in advance recommended. 

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You could go earlier,  at least as early as 7:30. It's an hour to the airport,  and if your flight is direct to the US, you may need all the suggested 3 hours in advance recommended. 

Thank you!! I wasn't sure just how early you could get off. I think 8 AM would work just fine, even offer a buffer. Thank you. I'm going to book my transfer now 🙂 

We've used Tiber Limo multiple times for a transfer from port to airport, port to center city, etc and they're fantastic!  They're always on time.  Check their pricing and you can go onto your roll call you might be able to get a few others to join you and share the cost.  

20 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Thank you!! I wasn't sure just how early you could get off. I think 8 AM would work just fine, even offer a buffer. Thank you. I'm going to book my transfer now 🙂 

Although 8 may well work, we would not feel comfy getting off that late.  Why?  Call it lots of experience.  I assume you are not carrying off your own luggage which means it will take a few minutes to locate your luggage.  Assuming you are ready (with luggage in hand) by 8:30) you than need to find your ride (however you decide to go to FCO).  This means you would likely not arrive at FCO until about 9:30 (assuming there are no traffic problems).  That allows you less then 2 hours before boarding (boarding is often closed about 15 min before departure), which can be somewhat tight at FCO.  We have been to FCO when we were through security, checked-in, and to our gate within an hour.  But on other ocassions it has taken at least 2 hours (sometimes the check-in lines can be awful and move at a snails pace...as can security lines.

The airlines advise folks to be at FCO at least 3 hours before a flight to North America.  While most of the time this may leave you with too much time at FCO, there are times when you would be very happy to have that 3 hours.  Since there is no way to be sure (about lines) it is best to be cautious.  For you to be at FCO at 8:30 you should plan on being in your transportation (at the port) by 7:30.

Hank

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Although 8 may well work, we would not feel comfy getting off that late.  Why?  Call it lots of experience.  I assume you are not carrying off your own luggage which means it will take a few minutes to locate your luggage.  Assuming you are ready (with luggage in hand) by 8:30) you than need to find your ride (however you decide to go to FCO).  This means you would likely not arrive at FCO until about 9:30 (assuming there are no traffic problems).  That allows you less then 2 hours before boarding (boarding is often closed about 15 min before departure), which can be somewhat tight at FCO.  We have been to FCO when we were through security, checked-in, and to our gate within an hour.  But on other ocassions it has taken at least 2 hours (sometimes the check-in lines can be awful and move at a snails pace...as can security lines.

The airlines advise folks to be at FCO at least 3 hours before a flight to North America.  While most of the time this may leave you with too much time at FCO, there are times when you would be very happy to have that 3 hours.  Since there is no way to be sure (about lines) it is best to be cautious.  For you to be at FCO at 8:30 you should plan on being in your transportation (at the port) by 7:30.

Hank

Thank you Hank, very valid points. I just added fast track to our booking. I might change the pick up to 8 AM too 

1 hour ago, Tbird58 said:

We've used Tiber Limo multiple times for a transfer from port to airport, port to center city, etc and they're fantastic!  They're always on time.  Check their pricing and you can go onto your roll call you might be able to get a few others to join you and share the cost.  

Thanks, we are using Bob's limos. We used the on our last cruise. Someone else on the roll call booked them, and they kept adding people and we super patient about it. Plus, we forgot our passports at the hotel and they went back and didn't charge us more. So, we tipped in appreciation, and apologized to our van mates, and now we are booking them again. 🙂