Princess Airport Transfer day of cruise...

CHK

On 1/20/2024 at 3:45 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Do not attach them before flying. 

Bring a stapler or duck tape. 

They have luggage tag holders.  No need for staplers or duck tape.   

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 8:54 PM, Hlitner said:

Now that you have been told about how to handle your baggage tags you might consider our simple solution.  We NEVER use cruise line transfers in Florida ports (or most ports around the world).  We simply pick-up our luggage, walk outside, and grab a taxi (or summon an Uber).   No waiting around for others, no sitting in a van waiting for others, no looking for reps, etc.  We simply get in a car and off we go.  And the other benefit is that in Miami and Ft Lauderdale, using a taxi or Uber is generally less expensive than a cruise line transfer :).

This is great advice!! 

On 1/20/2024 at 8:54 PM, Hlitner said:

That being said, we can only repeat the advice given by most frequent cruisers.  Do not fly in to your embarkation port on the day of a cruise!  You are putting your trip in the hands of an airline,  Airlines run late, airlines cancel 10s of thousands of flights every years, airlines lose luggage which can take hours or longer to catch-up, etc.  Yes, we have heard all the excuses why folks fly-in the day of cruises, and most are just excuses!   You want to deal with the anxiety of a last minute flight?  Ok.  

You are describing a best practice and while I might have a different perspective, I would not encourage otherwise.  

In our younger days we frequently choose to do same day red-eyes to Europe without any anxiety.   Truth is getting older I find it harder to avoid jet lag, so now prefer that extra day to catch up.  If taking a same day flight, some precautions should be taken like nonstops only and recognizing potential weather issues (I wouldn't from Newark in the winter).  And I think international red-eye flights have better track records than domestic flights.   It is true thousands of flights get cancelled.  It is also true thousands of passengers do same day flights without issue.  I recognize the potential issue, but guess I just don't have the angst about same day flights suffered by many others on these boards.  

There are many of us who do not have access to non-stop flights for our cruise ports. There are a lot of people who do *not* live near a major airline hub (like us( and must settle for (sometimes) poor connections which makes flying in early both imperative but also more stressful! We have missed a transatlantic cruise due to missing a connecting flight...it's very disappointing even when you *think* you have planned for the unexpected.