“Music” on Beyond

natshala

We were on Edge over Christmas/ New year, Australia/New Zealand.  The music in the Martini Bar was deafening. You had to yell to be heard, making conversation impossible.  DH complained but the DJ just shrugged. We walked out of two shows after the second number because the music was just too loud. We of course mentioned this in our post cruise survey. 

It does seem to be a bigger problem on Edge class ships, which is one of the reasons we won’t be travelling on any of them again. That cuts out all the Australian season on X for us, because they are only operating the Edge here now. Always other cruise lines to choose from. 

• Like 2

Ahhh, music. The one topic that unites the generations...

In hating the next generation's music! Just like our parents hated ours. Everyone does know that the specific music discussed in this thread is almost all over 40 years old? This scene is 39 years old. And ironically Marty is playing the opening riff of "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the news and the guy with the bullhorn is Huey Lewis.

I would prefer if they'd match the volume to the venue. Everything doesn't have to be played at 11!

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

Ahhh, music. The one topic that unites the generations...

In hating the next generation's music! Just like our parents hated ours. Everyone does know that the specific music discussed in this thread is almost all over 40 years old? This scene is 39 years old. And ironically Marty is playing the opening riff of "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the news and the guy with the bullhorn is Huey Lewis.

I would prefer if they'd match the volume to the venue. Everything doesn't have to be played at 11!

agree about volume

many pieces of great music are sev hundred yrs old.. there coud be variety most folks would enjoy or designate a  party venue like they used to have on Reflection(?)    great bar, with a dj booth.It was. left as a playground for kids!

The volume of the music has been a complaint for years so I assume at this point Celebrity is well aware and has made a conscious decision to ignore complaints.  I was the only person in the gym one afternoon and the music was blaring so loud that I could barely hear my music through my headphones; I complained they were very reluctant to adjust it even though I was the only guest impacted.   As others have stated they are instructed to pump up the volume. 

I think part of the problem too may be the cost Celebrity has to pay for the rights to play the different songs on their ships. If you think about it, the same songs you hear piped in, you'll hear the bands singing. And from ship to ship, the bands sing the same songs. Now some of them are popular, so of course you hear them everywhere (looking at you Beatles) but some others (Joy Crookes, older Dua Lipa) are just not so mainstream that every Celebrity house band is like "Yes! That one!" unless being directed. That could also explain how they can't really read the room...they don't have a catalogue deep enough to make a difference, so they stick to the script. 

Ever notice how they won't go back and play the whole song at Trivia by the Pool even though the whole crowd is singing along and enjoying it? I have to assume its financial. This is the company who won't give us a chocolate at turndown every night any more...so hard to imagine they're investing in a broad selection of songs that might be played every now and then. 

Edited by blueskadoo

The next few decades are going to be wild, given that people currently in their 40s/early 50s grew up with 90s stuff, so plenty of pop/rap/EDM, when I'm in my 60s, it won't be Sinatra/Abba as the default, that's for sure.

On 1/21/2024 at 5:17 PM, hcat said:

.How about some Reggae/ Marley,   Beatles, Queen, Moody Blues,  Tom Petty,  Jimmy Buffet,  mowtown, country, blue grass ,  folk,  rock, jazz and blues..???  

True story from our cruise back in October on the Reflection: I'm at the pool reading a book by Dylan's girlfriend from the Village. She's describing a trip she took on an ocean liner in 1962 to Italy and she was trying to teach the guitarist on board her boyfriend's new song, Blowing in the Wind. As I'm reading this the guitarist at the pool says he was supposed to play instrumental music be he feels like singing a bit. He starts with Blowing in the Wind. 

I would guess that the more people who complain about the music the more likely it will be changed. We get on the beyond next Monday. We'll keep our ears open 😀