PANORAMA...give me those cruise reviews to Mexican Riviera

LA PAZ: do you get off the ship and have to walk down and around that road to get over to the other side to catch a taxi into the town of La Paz? How easy is it to get a taxi? How much are the cost to get into town? Is it per person? I’m thinking about booking an excursion that leaves at the marina down town in La Paz. Just trying to figure out the time frame.

In La Paz you dock in an industrial harbor about 30 minutes from town. There is nothing there but some local vendors set up a flea market style shopping area next to the ship. They have all the basics for souvenirs. There is a building with bathrooms and the busses will be lined up and ready to roll before they start letting everyone off, there are plenty and you should be able to get on one without a long wait. The bus ride is free and you don’t need a ticket. On the way to town they will stop at a local beach and you can get off there. The bus is not supposed to stop on the way back to the ship from town as it is across the road but it did stop and let people off on our return. Here is the link for the beach: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150771-d11913448-Reviews-Playa_El_Coromuel-La_Paz_Baja_California.html

The bus drops you off at a bus station in town. They have bathrooms but you have to pay in pesos, luckily someone in our group had them. Another person in the group desperately needed them, lol! I think it was 10 pesos and two people can go in the bathroom. When you walk out the door the walkway along the waterfront is across the street. You can walk in either direction for at least a mile or probably more, we didn’t get very far, maybe a mile. On the other side of the street there are restaurants and shops but not many souvenir type shops, I think we only saw one. It was very pretty but not a whole lot going on, I think we were only there an hour. 

We had booked an all day yacht excursion that included breakfast, lunch, open bar, snorkeling with sea lions and a beach stop. We were notified the day before when we got back on board in Cabo it was canceled, so disappointing! What I have since learned is that all the excursions that involve going into the protected areas of the Sea Of Cortez are not guaranteed. They only allow a set amount of boats in at a time, not sure exactly how it works but it seems you have to get lucky to get a chance to get in the water with the sea lions or whale sharks. Also the sea can get rough and dangerous as described by another CC member in the trip report from my cruise.

If we had not booked an excursion I would have done more research and I am sure we would have gone to the beach first and then checked out the town. We have this itinerary booked again in March 2025, I plan to book the same excursion with the beach as a back up. It is the same situation with Bandalera Bay Beach, it looks absolutely gorgeous but it is another 30 minutes past the town of La Paz. They limit how many people can be on the beach and have morning and afternoon sessions. Carnival did have an excursion if you want to go there, I don’t think it’s something you can do on your own. I have a few pics I can add. 

IMG_4981.jpeg

IMG_1519.jpeg

IMG_1513.jpeg

IMG_1512.jpeg

Edited by LaRue1975
  • Like 1

I’m on a roll so I’ll share our experiences in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, we have been to each twice in the last 15 months. In Mazatlan the group did a Pulmonia tour with City Tours Pulmonia, it was wonderful! I booked 3 Pulmonias for our group of 10, they each hold 4 people but it is tight with 4 adults. They were $150 each and required an upfront deposit of $50 each payable through Venmo or Zelle with the rest due in cash to your driver day of the tour. I booked through Facebook with Freddy, he was great at keeping me up date with directions on where to meet, etc. I heard about him through the Facebook group and there were a lot of us, I think 25 Pulmonias total. We all took the same city tour but we were broken up into smaller groups. Junior was in charge of our three, he was fantastic! First he led us to us to a Quick Mart about a block away where we bought beverages for the ice chests in the Pulmonias which are a cross between a mini car and golf cart. Of course we bought way too much so the leftovers were an extra tip for the drivers. 

We waited around a bit for the tour to start then Junior said they were ready and our drivers went to get our rides. We all hopped in and watched as they started to roll and jumped in the parade, it was so much fun!! My SIL, BFF and I rode with Junior, he was definitely the best of the three. Poor hubby, BIL and BFF’s hubby got a dud that was boring and didn’t speak English but still had a blast. First we went to a place in the harbor where they have a statue of lady that protects the city and fishermen from hurricanes, we learned a lot about the shrimping industry, it’s huge in Mazatlan. We toured the waterfront and the old city which was very impressive, Junior was a wealth of knowledge, there is so much more to Mazatlan than I imagined! We parked a block away from the town square and the beautiful cathedral. He said we had an half hour to explore and we immediately looked lost and confused so he offered to go with us, whew! He gave us a great tour, the cathedral was spectacular and the town square was charming, we all loved it. 

Then it was back to our cute cars and we were off to the top of the hill to see the beautiful views with stops for photo ops. Again Junior was filling us in on everything we would have never known about the city, it still has so much old Mexico charm. I have a new appreciation for sure and would even consider staying there on a land vacation. Next we stopped to see the cliff divers which were amazing! Then it was time for our lunch stop, it was open air seafood restaurant on the water but not on beach, it was at the far end of the harbor fairly close to the ship. The food and drinks were very good and very reasonably priced. The hubby and each got  the coconut shrimp and a margarita and it was $50 with tip! The plates were huge, we should have just shared one. 

After lunch your driver will take you to the beach, the Golden Zone or wherever you want to go but we all decided after that big meal and all the fun we were pooped and decided to go back to the ship. Hubby was celebrating his 70th birthday so we are kind of old! 🤣🤣 Here in the link for Pulmonia City Tours:  https://www.facebook.com/freddybtours

IMG_4974.jpeg

IMG_4978.jpeg

IMG_4976.jpeg

IMG_4979.jpeg

IMG_4980.jpeg

IMG_4977.jpeg

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_3750.jpeg

IMG_4977.jpeg

IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3781.jpeg

IMG_3767.jpeg

IMG_3756.jpeg

Edited by LaRue1975
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 11:15 PM, LaRue1975 said:

busses will be lined up and ready to roll before they start letting everyone off, there are plenty and you should be able to get on one without a long wait. The bus ride is free and you don’t need a ticket. On the way to town they will stop at a local beach and you can get off there. The bus is not supposed to stop on the way back to the ship from town as it is across the road but it did stop and let people off on our return. Here is the link for the

I'm thinking that the free bus might not work for us because I think it stops too far from where we are going and we will be on a time crunch to make it to our excursion. I did a search for bus stations in La Paz and several come up along with a "Bus Depot" area and they look like quite a distance from the marina we need to go to.  Can you tell me if any of these are where they let you off at? I'm also thinking by the bus stopping at the beach (therefore adding more time to get into La Paz) it is another reason not to take the bus?

image.thumb.png.3de91f0ad543e7d2f1a493b3f6b19eba.png

Are there taxi's or Uber available at the port to take us instead?

That does look like a beautiful beach to go to.  Anyone have any information on it? Do you have to pay (or drink/eat) to be there on the beach? It looks like a beach club. 

We had booked an all day yacht excursion that included breakfast, lunch, open bar, snorkeling with sea lions and a beach stop.

Who did you book with?  Where was the beach stop at?

I plan to book the same excursion with the beach as a back up. It is the same situation with Bandalera Bay Beach, it looks absolutely gorgeous but it is another 30 minutes past the town of La Paz. They limit how many people can be on the beach and have morning and afternoon sessions. Carnival did have an excursion if you want to go there, I don’t think it’s something you can do on your own. I have a few pics I can add. 

So is this the excursion you mentioned above with the snorkeling with sea lions and beach stop?  Was it booked with Carnival?

We walked about a mile and I don’t remember seeing a Marina so the Marina must be at least that far from the bus depot. We didn’t get off until an hour or so after they started letting people off but I would think as soon as the first bus filled up it would leave. I think there are taxis and probably Ubers too, we were in the line for the busses and didn’t walk around outside the port. The beach stop is just a hop off so didn’t take extra time, it was 30 to 40 minutes to get into town. If the line is long or the bus has to wait to fill up that will take time too. We waited in line 15 minutes or so but got off at peak time. 

On the link for the beach there are reviews and info, it has a restaurant for food and drinks. Someone that did go there on my cruise said there was not a lot there and it wasn’t busy but it was the off season. When you go it will be busier and maybe more stuff will be available but it does have clean bathrooms and a restaurant for sure. 

The shore excursion was through Carnival. I looked at private excursions and decided we would be docked too far from La Paz and since it was a new port for Carnival and not many ships go there I was worried the tours are not designed for cruise ship passengers. I didn’t want to risk getting back to the ship in time plus there can be safety issues with some of the smaller companies, especially if you want to go out on the water. I know I sound like a broken record and would not hesitate to book a private tour in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta from an established tour company. Cabo is fine too as long you get off in time and don’t end up paying for something you don’t get to do. 

The one we booked through Carnival was an all inclusive snorkeling with sea lions. It was all day and took you up the Sea Of Cortez to Espirito Island, not sure what the age limit was and it was the most expensive.. They also had one that goes to Balandra Bay with snorkeling. another with swimming with the sea lions and one to a different island/beach. Learning about all the entry restrictions for these protected areas gives me more reason to book with Carnival. The story posted in the current review scared the c**p out of me, lol! From what I have read the snorkeling, beaches and water are spectacular and I didn’t want to miss my chance to experience them. So I booked with Carnival and missed it anyway. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I hope you have better luck and have a wonderful day with your family whatever you decide. 

Edited by LaRue1975

5 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

We walked about a mile and I don’t remember seeing a Marina so the Marina must be at least that far from the bus depot.

Well that helps. It sounds like it is definitely not something I would want to take a bus to and then have to walk to on a time crunch. 

On the link for the beach there are reviews and info, it has a restaurant for food and drinks. Someone that did go there on my cruise said there was not a lot there and it wasn’t busy but it was the off season. When you go it will be busier and maybe more stuff will be available but it does have clean bathrooms and a restaurant for sure.

We usually go for the beach (and snorkeling if there is any) and not for other things to do around there...unless we get tired being at the beach and want to walk around I guess. But that's good enough for me as a back up plan. 

The shore excursion was through Carnival. I looked at private excursions and decided we would be docked too far from La Paz and since it was a new port for Carnival and not many ships go there I was worried the tours are not designed for cruise ship passengers. I didn’t want to risk getting back to the ship in time plus there can be safety issues with some of the smaller companies, especially if you want to go out on the water.

My struggle with this is that I REALLY want to go to Balandra Bay so much and the Carnival tours are already booked. I have been searching everywhere to find someone that would take us there. The company (Tuna Tuna) has awesome reviews on TA and looks like they've been in business (with these tours) since 2017. The time frame we're on...ugh! 

6 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

The one we booked through Carnival was an all inclusive snorkeling with sea lions. It was all day and took you up the Sea Of Cortez to Espirito Island, not sure what the age limit was and it was the most expensive..

Oh ok, I do see that Carnival excursion. It could always be a back up as well (but doesn't go to Balandra Bay). 

Age limit doesn't matter. My youngest is 15. 

7 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

The story posted in the current review scared the c**p out of me, lol!

Where?

Mitsugirly!! Nice to see you! I used to devour your reviews with your lovely family, they were awesome!  Sorry if I have missed them the last couple of years.  I will make sure to watch for this one.

We have been on Panorama twice in the last 4 months.  I just got off the Panorama last Saturday, same ports except La Paz.  Last October we went on the same 8 day itinerary including La Paz but we missed Puerto Vallarta due to Hurricane Lydia.

La Paz -  not much there. Be sure to book an excursion either through the ship or private.  Those who did had a blast, folks like us who just grabbed the free Carnival shuttle ticket downtown (and to the beach) were mostly very disappointed.  

Puerto Vallarta - Rhythms of the Night was a blast! Dinner was good, the grounds were beautiful, the show was excellent and the tender to and from was a lot of fun.  I hear there is a great old-town shopping district in Puerto Vallarta, 10 minute taxi, that we plan to see next time.  

Cabo San Lucas - Whale Watching last Thursday was great, not sure if the whales will be there if when you are there. Last October we walked over to a public beach that you can see from the ship, spent some time shopping in the port shops. Both times we enjoyed lunch at two really good restaurants - Wizzies near the tender drop off and Solomons Landing which was quite a walk but great meals and margaritas. 

Mazatlan - this is an up and coming port. We loved it both times, we just visited the big cathedral and and shopped downtown.  We bought the same souvenirs at local "flea" market downtown for $2-6 that were $10-20 at the other ports. Pulmonia's are expensive open taxi's, about $150 for a driver for the day. They look like glorified golf carts to me. People seem to love them, they are not for us.  There is a market at the port that you visit on your return. Loved it last October, but didn't see anything special this last time. We picked up some beautiful tablecloths in town, too.  

The ship is beautiful. We had a family harbor room 2480 and loved it even though we don't have kids. The lounge is convenient to go grab a cup of ice, an iced tea, or a snack.  We had a large private corner balcony.  We had a spa balcony last October, not worth it on Panorama.  

Bridget

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Well that helps. It sounds like it is definitely not something I would want to take a bus to and then have to walk to on a time crunch. 

We usually go for the beach (and snorkeling if there is any) and not for other things to do around there...unless we get tired being at the beach and want to walk around I guess. But that's good enough for me as a back up plan. 

My struggle with this is that I REALLY want to go to Balandra Bay so much and the Carnival tours are already booked. I have been searching everywhere to find someone that would take us there. The company (Tuna Tuna) has awesome reviews on TA and looks like they've been in business (with these tours) since 2017. The time frame we're on...ugh! 

Oh ok, I do see that Carnival excursion. It could always be a back up as well (but doesn't go to Balandra Bay). 

Age limit doesn't matter. My youngest is 15. 

Where?

The post  with the scary excursion story from La Paz is in Deladane’s review that is active now. I think they posted in our Facebook group too and I wasn’t as disappointed our excursion was cancelled hearing how rough it was on the water that day. I totally understand your desire to get to Balandra Bay, it looks fabulous! The problem is the capacity limits, once they are reached they don’t let anyone else in. We were told a lot of people get all the way there, can’t get in and waste their whole day. It’s also split into morning and afternoon sessions which make it hard to do from a cruise ship. I think it is 9 to 1 and 1 to 5. I don’t think you can get there by 9 so risk not getting in at all. The afternoon session doesn’t give you much time on the beach before you would have to leave to get back to the ship in time. The tour company you are working with can explain the rules and time frames so you will have a good idea whether it could work for you or not. Maybe they could suggest a local taxi or Uber driver that you could prearrange to pick you up at the ship and get you to the harbor on time. I hope it works out for you, looking forward to your review! 

12 hours ago, Rulers Mom said:

Mitsugirly!! Nice to see you! I used to devour your reviews with your lovely family, they were awesome!  Sorry if I have missed them the last couple of years.  I will make sure to watch for this one.

Hi there! I hope you are doing well. No worries, if you've missed any of the reviews (both land and sea), you can always find them on my travel website/blog travelwithmitsugirly . com ....of course if you have a lot of free time on your hands 😄  You know how lengthy I and long winded I am. LOL

We have been on Panorama twice in the last 4 months.  I just got off the Panorama last Saturday

Lucky you! I have a feeling I'm going to love the Mexican Riviera and want to go back again myself. There's just so many new things to see and do. I wanna do it all. Maybe I'll need a land tour there.

La Paz -  not much there. Be sure to book an excursion either through the ship or private.  Those who did had a blast, folks like us who just grabbed the free Carnival shuttle ticket downtown (and to the beach) were mostly very disappointed.  

Noted!  I'm in the works to book something there now. I will use a beach as a back up if needed. 

Puerto Vallarta - Rhythms of the Night was a blast! Dinner was good, the grounds were beautiful, the show was excellent and the tender to and from was a lot of fun.

A lot of people seem to like this tour...but man is it expensive and we will have 4 people with us. I just don't know if I can justify it at this time for the short amount of hours that's involved (according to Carnival, only 4.75 hours for $180 yikes). 

Cabo San Lucas - Whale Watching last Thursday was great, not sure if the whales will be there if when you are there.

We now have a whale watching tour booked for this port. The whales are supposed to be in the area until mid-April. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed. It's the real reason why I originally wanted to book a Mexican Riviera cruise years ago. (Although we did do a land vacation to Isla Mujeres Mexico 2 summers ago and swam with the whale sharks...the MOST AMAZING time EVER. It's still not the same as seeing the humpbacks and other whales in the water. I hope we get to see them breech). 

Mazatlan - this is an up and coming port. Pulmonia's are expensive open taxi's, about $150 for a driver for the day. They look like glorified golf carts to me.

I have seen pictures of them. When we went to Isla Mujeres for a land vacation we rented a golf cart that looked like a jeep. (That's what you rent to get around when on this island the entire time). We had a blast...so much that this is one island I wouldn't mind going back to and staying at again. So much funner than renting a car. lol

The ship is beautiful. We had a family harbor room 2480 and loved it even though we don't have kids. The lounge is convenient to go grab a cup of ice, an iced tea, or a snack.  We had a large private corner balcony.  We had a spa balcony last October, not worth it on Panorama.  

They did not have any family harbor rooms when we booked and ended up booking just a regular balcony room this time around. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

I totally understand your desire to get to Balandra Bay, it looks fabulous! The problem is the capacity limits, once they are reached they don’t let anyone else in. We were told a lot of people get all the way there, can’t get in and waste their whole day. 

Yea, this is the reason that I want to go there by boat. I read somewhere that if you arrive by boat, you can get in no matter what and are not part of the 450 people they allow in. I wish I could find that somewhere again. I'm going to ask the tour guide we are working with about it to verify.

On 2/3/2024 at 7:46 AM, mitsugirly said:

I'm thinking that the free bus might not work for us because I think it stops too far from where we are going and we will be on a time crunch to make it to our excursion. I did a search for bus stations in La Paz and several come up along with a "Bus Depot" area and they look like quite a distance from the marina we need to go to.  Can you tell me if any of these are where they let you off at? I'm also thinking by the bus stopping at the beach (therefore adding more time to get into La Paz) it is another reason not to take the bus?

Hopefully this can help clarify things... If you pull up Google Maps, type in La Paz, Mexico, to have the right city pulled up.  Then do a search for "Terminal Turistica Aguila Malecon"- that's the name of the bus station where the free shuttles drop you off.  It is right across the street from the malecon, and it took us about 20 minutes to walk back from the restaurant we went to called Estrella del Mar (very close to the marina you need to go to).  It's an easy flat walk and you can't get lost as long as you keep the ocean on your right when walking there.  

18 minutes ago, deladane said:

Hopefully this can help clarify things... If you pull up Google Maps, type in La Paz, Mexico, to have the right city pulled up.  Then do a search for "Terminal Turistica Aguila Malecon"- that's the name of the bus station where the free shuttles drop you off.  It is right across the street from the malecon, and it took us about 20 minutes to walk back from the restaurant we went to called Estrella del Mar (very close to the marina you need to go to).  It's an easy flat walk and you can't get lost as long as you keep the ocean on your right when walking there.  

I feel like maybe when I type in the Estrella del Mar, it might be the wrong place because it looks like it's far away (past) from the marina we need to go to ??

image.thumb.png.b9328b9922237d8efbeec06b2548236e.png

45 minutes ago, deladane said:

map

Tuna Tours is a 3 minute walk from Estrella del Mar.  They are both at the bottom of this map.

Thanks for the visual. I still honestly don't think this is doable for us with a 30 minute drive on the bus from the port to the terminal and then another 20+ minutes from there puts us at almost an hour and the tour is supposed to start at 9am. I think the only way is to grab a taxi or Uber to make it in time. We still have time factored into actually getting off the ship as soon as they allow and walking the port to get out. Ugh...decisions. 

Anyone know how much an Uber or taxi would be to the marina?

16 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Thanks for the visual. I still honestly don't think this is doable for us with a 30 minute drive on the bus from the port to the terminal and then another 20+ minutes from there puts us at almost an hour and the tour is supposed to start at 9am. I think the only way is to grab a taxi or Uber to make it in time. We still have time factored into actually getting off the ship as soon as they allow and walking the port to get out. Ugh...decisions. 

Anyone know how much an Uber or taxi would be to the marina?

Yea, that sounds like you would be cutting it verrrry close and everything would have to work out perfectly to make it there by 9am.  

We are going on the Panorama for a family vacation.....bought all the cabins....lol.....anyways so not planning to do any of the pay restaurants....the bank is broken....haha.....any tips on places to eat that are no charge.....I realize that the main dining room and the buffet are the obvious choices but there must be more places to grab good food on the ship???....thanks for tips....

1 minute ago, Kelownabccan said:

We are going on the Panorama for a family vacation.....bought all the cabins....lol.....anyways so not planning to do any of the pay restaurants....the bank is broken....haha.....any tips on places to eat that are no charge.....I realize that the main dining room and the buffet are the obvious choices but there must be more places to grab good food on the ship???....thanks for tips....

Deli, Blue Iguana and guys are all good places

On 1/31/2024 at 12:28 PM, mitsugirly said:

Welp, I guess F2F is not an option for us. They must be all sold out. So, we will just have to try to get the best tender tickets we can. I'm really glad we decided to go with a private tour now. (I seen a lot of complaints about people buying the F2F not really getting any benefit out of it, not getting to their rooms in time or luggage until really late saying it was a complete waste of money). So...I guess I won't be finding out if there was any benefit to buying it. LOL

We had no problem getting off in Cabo on our NYE's cruise.  Just pay attention to the Fun Times to see when and where they are distributing the debarkation tickets.  If I recall correctly, they gave them out at the Havana Bar at 3 p.m. the day before ... and they actually started to distribute them a bit early since the line got long.  Only one person needs to wait.

41 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

I'd focus on trying the specialty restaurants for lunch when they are free.  You can go to Cucina, Pig N Anchor and JiJis, I believe, for lunch.  You won't get the same options as dinner, but it's still great.

On 1/22/2024 at 4:52 PM, mitsugirly said:

Wow, those are awesome!  Do you by any chance know if they were using their phone or a DSLR with a zoom? Where you really that close or they just zoomed in?  Do you get wet on the tour at all? I want to take my DSLR to be able to zoom in and get some good pictures but don't want to risk it getting wet. Thanks in advance. 

Sorry just saw this question.  They were using a pretty big camera with a telephoto lens.  Thought it was great they did all those and sent to us for free.  There was a canvas top on the boat. Looks like the one in some of the pictures others have sent.  We did not get wet except maybe a tiny bit if in the front and hit some splash when going out to another area.  We sat in the front however.  Also you asked about how long it takes to walk to places from where the water shuttle drops you off.  Whale Watch Cabo was all the way around the marina area and back on one of the main streets.  It was probably 1/2 hour walk.  But when we got there we waited maybe 1/2 hour even though maybe 10 min early.  There were 2 excursions I believe and we were only a group of 12 hours. That place really was all about conservation and gave a lot of great information on studies done.  Learned you can identify a whale by their tail.  They are like fingerprints and not one is the same.

Anyone know about how much it would cost to get a taxi to the marina?

How does Uber work in Mexico? Do you have to change any settings in your app to make it work? Like from dollars to peso's? I've heard people say it's cheaper to use Uber down there than using a taxi service.