Issues with Cruise Brands Happen All the Time--It is Simply How You Deal With Them

Sthrngary

WARNING:

I have written a long post and if you don’t like long posts, simply skip this one.  I have only given a few examples of issues I have had with cruise brands, what I did and how they were resolved. To those that don’t like the way I post and say it seems I am talking down to people.  That could not be further from the truth. I am just attempting to show you can gain resolution to issue with focus, never giving up attitude, never threatening the brand, never brand bash, and always being accurate as well as professional. If that kind of post interests you, read on. If not, please move on. Life is too short.

Overview

My history with cruising is 44 years, 30 plus cruises, cruising in the least and most expensive staterooms.  I have gone on all the major lines, different size ships, and a few smaller brands.  Knowing many contributors on this and other boards, I have NOT cruise or experience the most or the least. It is also clear I am NO expert except what I like or don’t like when cruising, which has changed over the years. 

Why Write this Topic:

Because on all the boards I look at every day on CruiseCritic.com, the Brand Bashing and the words, “I will never cruise this brand again,” seem to be happening increasingly. Sometimes it makes me feel like the poster thinks they are the only one that had an issue and wants to make sure no one cruises the brand again. They never take into consideration, many others have had the same, similar, or worse situation and got it resolved never having to bash the brand online in a brand social media blog. It also SEEMS to me the same folks comment on those post because the have a old bone to pick with that brand.  Seems like just spinning your wheels if what you are really looking for is a resolution. 

Issues On Cruises:

Third Person Drink Package Denied (2018):  This was the Celebrity Equinox, prior to it being refurbished. My adult son was joining us. We had a Celebrity Suite which is a larger suite and now would be considered in the Retreat VIP section. I was told my son did not have the drink package because he was the third person in the room. All documents I printed and brought showed he got the same benefits, including the drink package, as my wife and me. I requested the Concierge to call the home office prior to departing Miami to fix the issue. I was told it would not matter but she did as I requested with my documentation in hand. It was fixed in 20 minutes. Was I angry, yes. Did I get over it, yes. Did I learn a lesson, yes. Always keep your document.

Pre-Purchase of Spa Treatments to Gain a Discount (2018): This was again, the Celebrity Equinox. I booked 8 spa treatments to gain a 25% discount on them all. I called the spa company on land to confirm the rules and confirm the 8 treatments. The spa representative on ship day one said that quantity discount would NOT be honored. I called the home office of the spa company from the Concierge Lounge, prior to the ship departing Miami. They told me they could call the ship spa, which they did. Fixed in one hour. Yes again, I had documents printed. Was I angry, yes. Did I get over it, yes. Did I learn the same lesson, yes?

Four Category Upgrade Denied: Oceania Marina 2020. I was told you could not use the upgrade to get to a PH/Penthouse by the Oceania representative on the phone. I accepted that and booked anyway. Our friends joined us at my request, asked and got the 4-catigory upgrade to PH level. I had my Travel Agent ask Oceania to upgrade us using the program and was told it expired the day before. My travel agent went to three (3) supervisors and was told NO. I sent four (4) registered letters, twice and finally got a call saying I was accommodated, and the agent would call me soon. Another example of a guest, with a good professionally written letter, getting things fixed when told NO by his agent and the Brand. Was I angry, yes. Did I get over it, yes. Did I learn a lesson, yes. You get more honey and professionalism than with vinegar.

Third and Forth Adult in Stateroom Did not Receive the Drink Package (2021): This was the NCL Encore. They changed the program to all adults get the drink package in the suite, after I booked. They told my Travel Agent, “NO” to including my Adult Children. I sent four (4) registered mail letters three (3) times over a 5-week period. They included my adult children finally. The cruise ended up being cancelled. Was I angry, yes. Did I get over it, yes. Did I learn a lesson, yes. Don’t get angry, write a great letter. Never give up.

Once Onboard, 3rd and 4th Guest Did Not Have a Drink Package (2021): NCL Joy. Prior to cruise, I called NCL, got approval for my wife and I to have (and pay for) the upgraded Premium Plus Drink Package and adult children to stay with the complementary normal Adult Premium Drink Package. When we got onboard, my adult children did not have a drink package. I was in the Haven Owners Suite at the time and went to the Haven Concierge. I gave the Concierge the printed documentation, asked for them to leave a message in my stateroom when the issue was resolved. 60 minutes later the issue was resolved. Did I get angry, no but was a bit disappointed. Did I get over it, no I was over it before it even happened because I had the documentation. Did I learn a lesson? No, this is simply something that happens when dealing with 4,000 guests so it became water off a duck.

Paid Guest Upgrade (2023):  Oceania Riviera. I had heard that you could request, through your travel agent, a discounted guest paid upgrade with Oceania. I had my agent call Oceania and was given an amount of $800.00 per guest to go from a PH3 to a Vista Suite. I would have done an Oceania Suite, but they were sold out at the time. I was on the phone on a three-way call with Oceania, My Agent and myself. The moment I heard $800.00 for each guest as an upgrade amount; I accepted it. I asked to leave the call for a moment to get my AMX. One minute later, I came back, and the offer was taken back. My agent went to two (2) supervisors, and they said no. I sent four (4) letters registered mail. From the time they were received, 24 hours later I got an email from the Inventory Department apologize for the issue and providing me with an “Guest Paid Upgrade” of $2,000.00 per guest or I could wait for closer to the cruise for a lower offer. I took the offer on the spot. This cruise I had already had a four-category upgrade and took advantage of the “Extraordinary Sales Event.”  My daily cost per passenger for a Vista Suite was $475.00 per day. That was less than half of the Retail Price the staterooms were currently selling for. Did I get angry, NO. Did I over it? No, I did not need to, I knew I would just nicely send a few letters out. Did I learn a lesson, no. The lessons had already been learned.

Paid Upgrade Offer After Cancelation (2021):  Crystal Cruises. I booked a nice balcony room on one of the first Crystal Cruises leaving after covid-19 allowed cruising again. I really wanted to stay in a Penthouse Suite but did not want to pay the price. This was a “Luxury Cruise Test-Drive.”  A month or so before embarkment, I was given an offer of a “Paid Guest Discounted Upgrade” for $750.00 per guest to a Penthouse. I took it instantly. Unfortunately, eight days prior to the cruise, my wife got Covid-19 and I had to cancel it. The penalty was 50% of my fare but yes, I did have cruise travel insurance purchased directly from the Insurance Company. I was made whole in less than two weeks. I rebooked for the next month but was not offered the upgrade option again. I wrote four (4) letters, sent the registered mail explaining the story. I was given the upgrade complementary. So now I am in a Penthouse. The next week, I was offered an upgrade to a Penthouse Suite which is the second largest suite on the ship for $750.00 per person. I took it immediately. Was I angry, no. Did I get over it, no, never had to. Did I learn a lesson, no. Again, the lesson was learned years earlier.

There were more issues in my early days of cruising especially with Holland America, however, I think everyone gets the point. Many issues arise with cruising. I never once took to posting my issue on social media just to complain or gain support for my position. After the issue is resolved, I will post. I had an issue, here is what it was and here is how it was resolved.

Conclusion:

Cruising is a messy situation. We the guests must abide by a 44-page contract which favors the cruise brand. Logically we should tell the brand to jump in the ocean, but we cruise anyway. Our choice and our money. Will most brands do the right thing if you are fair and balanced with your story, outline, and suggested resolution? Yes. Should it take going through hoops to gain resolution, NO. Just the way it is. Once you know it can be managed most of the time, you simply handle it.  This last time with my Oceania Cruise Paid Upgrade, my agent wanted to know in detail how I got it done when she could not. I told her and everyone that is still reading this. “No one will fight for your rights as hard as you will for yourself.”  It is the principle of the thing and principles matter to me.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.”

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

WARNING:

I have written a long post and if you don’t like long posts, simply skip this one.  I have only given a few examples of issues I have had with cruise brands, what I did and how they were resolved. To those that don’t like the way I post and say it seems I am talking down to people.  That could not be further from the truth. I am just attempting to show you can gain resolution to issue with focus, never giving up attitude, never threatening the brand, never brand bash, and always being accurate as well as professional. If that kind of post interests you, read on. If not, please move on. Life is too short.

Overview

My history with cruising is 44 years, 30 plus cruises, cruising in the least and most expensive staterooms.  I have gone on all the major lines, different size ships, and a few smaller brands.  Knowing many contributors on this and other boards, I have NOT cruise or experience the most or the least. It is also clear I am NO expert except what I like or don’t like when cruising, which has changed over the years. 

Why Write this Topic:

Because on all the boards I look at every day on CruiseCritic.com, the Brand Bashing and the words, “I will never cruise this brand again,” seem to be happening increasingly. Sometimes it makes me feel like the poster thinks they are the only one that had an issue and wants to make sure no one cruises the brand again. They never take into consideration, many others have had the same, similar, or worse situation and got it resolved never having to bash the brand online in a brand social media blog. It also SEEMS to me the same folks comment on those post because the have a old bone to pick with that brand.  Seems like just spinning your wheels if what you are really looking for is a resolution. 

Issues On Cruises:

Third Person Drink Package Denied (2018):  This was the Celebrity Equinox, prior to it being refurbished. My adult son was joining us. We had a Celebrity Suite which is a larger suite and now would be considered in the Retreat VIP section. I was told my son did not have the drink package because he was the third person in the room. All documents I printed and brought showed he got the same benefits, including the drink package, as my wife and me. I requested the Concierge to call the home office prior to departing Miami to fix the issue. I was told it would not matter but she did as I requested with my documentation in hand. It was fixed in 20 minutes. Was I angry, yes. Did I get over it, yes. Did I learn a lesson, yes. Always keep your document.

Pre-Purchase of Spa Treatments to Gain a Discount (2018): This was again, the Celebrity Equinox. I booked 8 spa treatments to gain a 25% discount on them all. I called the spa company on land to confirm the rules and confirm the 8 treatments. The spa representative on ship day one said that quantity discount would NOT be honored. I called the home office of the spa company from the Concierge Lounge, prior to the ship departing Miami. They told me they could call the ship spa, which they did. Fixed in one hour. Yes again, I had documents printed. Was I angry, yes. Did I get over it, yes. Did I learn the same lesson, yes?

Four Category Upgrade Denied: Oceania Marina 2020. I was told you could not use the upgrade to get to a PH/Penthouse by the Oceania representative on the phone. I accepted that and booked anyway. Our friends joined us at my request, asked and got the 4-catigory upgrade to PH level. I had my Travel Agent ask Oceania to upgrade us using the program and was told it expired the day before. My travel agent went to three (3) supervisors and was told NO. I sent four (4) registered letters, twice and finally got a call saying I was accommodated, and the agent would call me soon. Another example of a guest, with a good professionally written letter, getting things fixed when told NO by his agent and the Brand. Was I angry, yes. Did I get over it, yes. Did I learn a lesson, yes. You get more honey and professionalism than with vinegar.

Third and Forth Adult in Stateroom Did not Receive the Drink Package (2021): This was the NCL Encore. They changed the program to all adults get the drink package in the suite, after I booked. They told my Travel Agent, “NO” to including my Adult Children. I sent four (4) registered mail letters three (3) times over a 5-week period. They included my adult children finally. The cruise ended up being cancelled. Was I angry, yes. Did I get over it, yes. Did I learn a lesson, yes. Don’t get angry, write a great letter. Never give up.

Once Onboard, 3rd and 4th Guest Did Not Have a Drink Package (2021): NCL Joy. Prior to cruise, I called NCL, got approval for my wife and I to have (and pay for) the upgraded Premium Plus Drink Package and adult children to stay with the complementary normal Adult Premium Drink Package. When we got onboard, my adult children did not have a drink package. I was in the Haven Owners Suite at the time and went to the Haven Concierge. I gave the Concierge the printed documentation, asked for them to leave a message in my stateroom when the issue was resolved. 60 minutes later the issue was resolved. Did I get angry, no but was a bit disappointed. Did I get over it, no I was over it before it even happened because I had the documentation. Did I learn a lesson? No, this is simply something that happens when dealing with 4,000 guests so it became water off a duck.

Paid Guest Upgrade (2023):  Oceania Riviera. I had heard that you could request, through your travel agent, a discounted guest paid upgrade with Oceania. I had my agent call Oceania and was given an amount of $800.00 per guest to go from a PH3 to a Vista Suite. I would have done an Oceania Suite, but they were sold out at the time. I was on the phone on a three-way call with Oceania, My Agent and myself. The moment I heard $800.00 for each guest as an upgrade amount; I accepted it. I asked to leave the call for a moment to get my AMX. One minute later, I came back, and the offer was taken back. My agent went to two (2) supervisors, and they said no. I sent four (4) letters registered mail. From the time they were received, 24 hours later I got an email from the Inventory Department apologize for the issue and providing me with an “Guest Paid Upgrade” of $2,000.00 per guest or I could wait for closer to the cruise for a lower offer. I took the offer on the spot. This cruise I had already had a four-category upgrade and took advantage of the “Extraordinary Sales Event.”  My daily cost per passenger for a Vista Suite was $475.00 per day. That was less than half of the Retail Price the staterooms were currently selling for. Did I get angry, NO. Did I over it? No, I did not need to, I knew I would just nicely send a few letters out. Did I learn a lesson, no. The lessons had already been learned.

Paid Upgrade Offer After Cancelation (2021):  Crystal Cruises. I booked a nice balcony room on one of the first Crystal Cruises leaving after covid-19 allowed cruising again. I really wanted to stay in a Penthouse Suite but did not want to pay the price. This was a “Luxury Cruise Test-Drive.”  A month or so before embarkment, I was given an offer of a “Paid Guest Discounted Upgrade” for $750.00 per guest to a Penthouse. I took it instantly. Unfortunately, eight days prior to the cruise, my wife got Covid-19 and I had to cancel it. The penalty was 50% of my fare but yes, I did have cruise travel insurance purchased directly from the Insurance Company. I was made whole in less than two weeks. I rebooked for the next month but was not offered the upgrade option again. I wrote four (4) letters, sent the registered mail explaining the story. I was given the upgrade complementary. So now I am in a Penthouse. The next week, I was offered an upgrade to a Penthouse Suite which is the second largest suite on the ship for $750.00 per person. I took it immediately. Was I angry, no. Did I get over it, no, never had to. Did I learn a lesson, no. Again, the lesson was learned years earlier.

There were more issues in my early days of cruising especially with Holland America, however, I think everyone gets the point. Many issues arise with cruising. I never once took to posting my issue on social media just to complain or gain support for my position. After the issue is resolved, I will post. I had an issue, here is what it was and here is how it was resolved.

Conclusion:

Cruising is a messy situation. We the guests must abide by a 44-page contract which favors the cruise brand. Logically we should tell the brand to jump in the ocean, but we cruise anyway. Our choice and our money. Will most brands do the right thing if you are fair and balanced with your story, outline, and suggested resolution? Yes. Should it take going through hoops to gain resolution, NO. Just the way it is. Once you know it can be managed most of the time, you simply handle it.  This last time with my Oceania Cruise Paid Upgrade, my agent wanted to know in detail how I got it done when she could not. I told her and everyone that is still reading this. “No one will fight for your rights as hard as you will for yourself.”  It is the principle of the thing and principles matter to me.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.”

Amazing deal for the Vista Suite.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Amazing deal for the Vista Suite.

@SATaxman Yes it was.  It will NEVER happen again.  It does go to show you, Oceania will play it fair is you approach it nicely.  Great brands in general need to evolve to becoming great brands.  Lots, and lots of mistakes made along the way.  LOTS.  Guest can help the brands if we approach it with some strategy, warmth, and kindness.  Raises the odds of mutual success.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

@Sthrngary

Thanks for your many issue resolution scenarios.

I wish I had read about your methods of proposed resolution last year, prior to when an issue arose regarding my booked O cruise.

Unfortunately, I just accepted what my TA told me was O's response to the issue.  It was not satisfactory to me.

In hindsight, I should have pursued the issue with O, in a similar manor as you would have done.  Lesson learned to be applied going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

@Sthrngary

Thanks for your many issue resolution scenarios.

I wish I had read about your methods of proposed resolution last year, prior to when an issue arose regarding my booked O cruise.

Unfortunately, I just accepted what my TA told me was O's response to the issue.  It was not satisfactory to me.

In hindsight, I should have pursued the issue with O, in a similar manor as you would have done.  Lesson learned to be applied going forward.

@FetaCheese Not your fault and I do this on lots of things for my family and friends.  It comes from actually training Issue Resolution in my professional life.  I also trained many call centers with is a very unusual bread of experience and team members.  A little side note.  I hesitate to write this kind of op-ed.  When I have gone into deep detail on what I say in my letters, some folks really hate my comments.  They simply can't believe that someone has an approach that can actually gain resolution because they never could.  Human nature. 

You will also notice I was detail on the items where I met you online.  The Upgrade to the Vista Suite on my recent cruise.  I think you had seen a comment from me on another board and referenced it on the Oceania Board.  As Paul Harvey used to say, "And that is the rest of the story!".  Reach out to many any time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After 4 very successful O cruises (40 nights total) starting with Riviera in 12/2021 and ending with Riviera 11/2023, the OP reminds me that...keeping what you do with the cruise line simple pays off.

But that was us doing cruise only and bringing our own alcohol on board. No problems with our airfare (we made it ourselves). No problems with our excursions (we did them ourselves). Worry about their alcohol plans? Nope. Brought my own beer, hard liquor and wine on board. Save a fortune drinking it on my veranda. Worry about overpriced spa or other on-board extras? Nope. Can do that at home before the cruise or after, if we even ever wanted to.

We've been blessed to deal with the same O rep. I got her ext. number the moment I realized she seemed to know her stuff.

And we've been smart to look at EVERY sale that comes along to see if it impacts the cruise we're on. I don't rely on getting special treatment from the cruise line because we've shelled out a fortune with them in the past or project to on a particular future cruise.

So while YOU paid $475 PP PD for your 10 nights you KNOW we paid $190 PP PD for our 10 nights on the same cruise and ship in our A3 Concierge Veranda. Because we met at the pool bar and I even got to see your room. We both booked thru that amazing Extraordinary Savings Sale in early 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

After 4 very successful O cruises (40 nights total) starting with Riviera in 12/2021 and ending with Riviera 11/2023, the OP reminds me that...keeping what you do with the cruise line simple pays off.

But that was us doing cruise only and bringing our own alcohol on board. No problems with our airfare (we made it ourselves). No problems with our excursions (we did them ourselves). Worry about their alcohol plans? Nope. Brought my own beer, hard liquor and wine on board. Save a fortune drinking it on my veranda. Worry about overpriced spa or other on-board extras? Nope. Can do that at home before the cruise or after, if we even ever wanted to.

We've been blessed to deal with the same O rep. I got her ext. number the moment I realized she seemed to know her stuff.

And we've been smart to look at EVERY sale that comes along to see if it impacts the cruise we're on. I don't rely on getting special treatment from the cruise line because we've shelled out a fortune with them in the past or project to on a particular future cruise.

So while YOU paid $475 PP PD for your 10 nights you KNOW we paid $190 PP PD for our 10 nights on the same cruise and ship in our A3 Concierge Veranda. Because we met at the pool bar and I even got to see your room. We both booked thru that amazing Extraordinary Savings Sale in early 2023.

@MEFIowa And I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and your bride. I thought it was great that you could find so many GREAT wine and spirit values on each port.  That will be my new hobby and only hope I can come as successful as you were.  

The point I was making was not that I got a super value for a Vista Suite, I did.  You got the super value and I admire that.  It was I took a bad situation and fixed it to my satisfaction. 

I spent my entire life on the road.  Only home 1.5 days a week.  I grew up poor.  We had nothing but my mother never let us feel poor.  This drove me to do something to make sure it would not happen to me as an adult and I found something I could do really well.  Decades later I spoil myself, my wife and my children.  I like the bigger suites, the amenities that come with it.  Would I purchase that suite at retail, no.  Would I do that suite again even at the same price.  no.  But it is my money to spend anyway I want.  I tend to be a bit Bougie and I really like that. Because of that I cruise less but it suits me. 

That said, my new hobby because you were a great teacher is to find value adult beverages at every port.  I can't wait.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. .  

• Like 3

@Sthrngary

As always enjoy and appreciate your perspectives.  While I dont't always read them fully now, I know I can always find them, if I need them in the future.

Hope to cruise with you someday.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 3:34 PM, Sthrngary said:

You get more honey and professionalism than with vinegar.

On 1/21/2024 at 3:34 PM, Sthrngary said:

“No one will fight for your rights as hard as you will for yourself.”  It is the principle of the thing and principles matter to me.

Gary,

I appreciate your wisdom and the manner in which you express it. However I believe there are occasions when the sugar and honey approach just doesn't work, forcing you to "'fight for your rights".  And, when that doesn't work, realizing that principles compel you to reconsider continuing your loyalty to a brand. This happened to me and my family on our very recent NCL cruise.  A brand I know you are very familiar with.

In January, DW and I booked and paid for a deluxe owner's suite and adjoining 2-bedroom family villa and invited our DD, SIL, and 2-Grands on a cruise.  Both suites were in the haven.  All on-board expenses for both suites, including ship sponsored shore excursions were put on our suite's tab.  There was a $500-600 issue regarding specialty dinning packages that came up that could have (should have) been resolved through the concierge and hotel manager.  It didn't happen. 

This is when the "principle of the thing" factor kicked in for us.  We have written a polite letter to the NCL corporate office seeking satisfaction.  If we don't receive it, "the principle of the thing" will compel us to reconsider our past loyalty to NCL.

In this instance the brand happens to be NCL, it could have just as easily have been any cruise line.  Will I go to the NCL board and post a never again thread.  No.  But I will post a thread informing NCL cruisers of what to be aware of.

JRW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Gary,

I appreciate your wisdom and the manner in which you express it. However I believe there are occasions when the sugar and honey approach just doesn't work, forcing you to "'fight for your rights".  And, when that doesn't work, realizing that principles compel you to reconsider continuing your loyalty to a brand. This happened to me and my family on our very recent NCL cruise.  A brand I know you are very familiar with.

In January, DW and I booked and paid for a deluxe owner's suite and adjoining 2-bedroom family villa and invited our DD, SIL, and 2-Grands on a cruise.  Both suites were in the haven.  All on-board expenses for both suites, including ship sponsored shore excursions were put on our suite's tab.  There was a $500-600 issue regarding specialty dinning packages that came up that could have (should have) been resolved through the concierge and hotel manager.  It didn't happen. 

This is when the "principle of the thing" factor kicked in for us.  We have written a polite letter to the NCL corporate office seeking satisfaction.  If we don't receive it, "the principle of the thing" will compel us to reconsider our past loyalty to NCL.

In this instance the brand happens to be NCL, it could have just as easily have been any cruise line.  Will I go to the NCL board and post a never again thread.  No.  But I will post a thread informing NCL cruisers of what to be aware of.

JRW

@Traveling Fools I read your post and agree with every single word you said.  I support you completely and it is as you said, the principle of the thing.  My approach has worked for me and I shared it specifically to give some extremely frustrated guest an avenue to consider other then only Social Media.  

I will give you no advice on your situation because the way you write, tells me your correspondence was extremely well thought out.  I have booked the H2 Deluxe Owners Suite and know the kind of investment you had just on that stateroom.  I am not sure of the issue with the specialty restaurants but with what you spent which was a small fortune, it should have been either resolved or explained in a way that you could see the logic.  I don't hear from your posting that either was the case.  

If I was wronged,  If I followed the rule like you did and had my back up information.  I personally would harbor resentment to any brand.  I am taking the time to respond to your post because I don't want anyone to think we guest will ever allow any company to treat us with anything less then respect and fairness.  Our money, our choice.  

Thank you for writing and I hope other will read your comments.  

• Like 1