Safe departure time for Miami airport from port

wildcats40

Would it be safe to make a 11:30 AM flight on a Monday morning out of Miami following a cruise?  The ship is supposed to get in at around 6 AM and we'd only have carry-on bags so could walk off as soon as the ship is cleared.  I know there is always the change of the ship being delayed but in normal situations, I'm thinking it would be ok.  Thanks for your input.

We had a 10:45am flight out of Miami and made it there in plenty of time.  We self-disembarked and got an Uber to the airport.  Once we got to the airport, we were ahead of all the bus passengers, so TSA went pretty quickly.  We had plenty of time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have made flight before 11 from FLL coming in at Port of Miami.  You should be ok .  If you walk off you will be off the ship and through customs before 8 and at Mia by 830.  If you cannot walk off self assist you need to tell the cruise line you have an early flight and need a very early bag group.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, volk904 said:

I have made flight before 11 from FLL coming in at Port of Miami.  You should be ok .  If you walk off you will be off the ship and through customs before 8 and at Mia by 830.  If you cannot walk off self assist you need to tell the cruise line you have an early flight and need a very early bag group.  

You went through Customs? How about Immigration?

For a flight at 11:30 you need to be at MIA NLT than 10:00 - and 9:30 is better with the typical TSA chaos.  The ride from POM to MIA takes about 20-30 minutes, so that translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration and looking for a cab or Uber/Lyft by about 9:00 - should be easy!

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies.  We do plan to get off as soon as we can.  Would a taxi or Uber be the quickest?  Assuming taxis will already be there waiting?  We have TSA precheck so hopefully lines won't be long at the airport.  Also, do they do the facial recognition customs clearance in Miami like they do in Fort Lauderdale?  

15 hours ago, wildcats40 said:

Also, do they do the facial recognition customs clearance in Miami like they do in Fort Lauderdale?  

Terminal C at Port Miami did last month but I don't know if all terminals have it.  You might ask on your cruise line's forum.

• Thanks 1