Flying to Vancouver cruising to Alaska. Questions about Customs and baggage.

FedEx Guy

Taking a cruise in June. Flying from Detroit (DTW) to Toronto (YYZ) change planes to flight to Vancouver (YVR) 2 1/2 hour layover. Flying CA, do I have to retrieve my bags in Toronto and then proceed to Customs, and then recheck them for the flight to Vancouver?  Is 2 1/2 hours enough time to allow for baggage, Customs, and making it to my connecting flight?

"Passengers arriving from eligible airlines and international destinations connecting on to a Canadian city do not have to pick up their checked baggage (unless otherwise stated by CBSA) and can go directly to their departing gate after clearing CBSA)"

The question, then, is which airlines are deemed eligible. I know that Air Canada is, as I've frequently connected in Toronto on the way home after a cruise. This webpage will let you determine whether your airline(s) are eligible for a flight starting in Detroit and terminating in Vancouver.

I'd say that 2 1/2 hours should be plenty most days. Like many airports, YYZ can have its problem if multiple international flights arrive at the same time. Take advantage of any of the programs (NEXUS, etc.) that can expedite your processing.

On 1/25/2024 at 8:26 AM, FedEx Guy said:

Taking a cruise in June. Flying from Detroit (DTW) to Toronto (YYZ) change planes to flight to Vancouver (YVR) 2 1/2 hour layover. Flying CA, do I have to retrieve my bags in Toronto and then proceed to Customs, and then recheck them for the flight to Vancouver?  Is 2 1/2 hours enough time to allow for baggage, Customs, and making it to my connecting flight?

Depends on the airlines.   

If your traveling Star Alliance (Air Canada and/or United) then your in terminal 1 that is setup for automatic baggage transfer through customers.  

If your on Delta, American or WestJet then your in Terminal 3 that is not setup for that and you will likely need to walk them through.

Yes, 2 1/2 hours should be fine with either option.