Spring break?

cthrn27

Hello.  I have never cruised Holland America.  I was wondering if Spring Break would have an impact on this line?  More crowded?  More kids?  More COLLEGE drinkers?  Thanks.

How many families with kids aboard during spring break depends on the location and duration of the cruise. Generally, 7 day cruises in the Caribbean will have significant numbers of families with kids. Longer cruises in less easily accessible locations will have fewer kids aboard. In my 30+ years of cruising with HAL I have not noticed a significant number of college aged drinkers aboard at any time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also have cruised Holland America during spring break - never again! Lots of little kiddies running amok and a plenty of the parents drinking and smoking near the Sea View pool - with children present. It was an unpleasant experience.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would agree with both #2 and #3.  I avoid 7 day cruises out of Fort Lauderdale when I know there is a school break.  I don't see college kids.  I think they would avoid HAL and go for the shorter sailings (3-5 day) booze cruises.  What I see on HAL is parents with their school age children and as one of the posters said, they CAN overrun the pool areas, but then, they are KIDS, so that is what they do.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There appears to be quite a few teachers and families on my upcoming March 7 night Caribbean. Just the number of under 18's from maybe 50 posters on that site that shall not be named appears to be more than I had on a March 2022 cruise on the whole ship. I will be traveling with my college daughter (spring cruise for us appears to be becoming a tradition), but I have no intention of letting college students interfere with my drinking 😈

• Haha 6

On no!!!   That explains why airfare to FLL and MIA is so high for a cruise that DH and I have booked on Oceania March 9th.  Spring Break is something that I did not think about for that early in March. 😏

My daughter and grandchildren have spring break at the very end of March this year, when in the past it has been the 2nd week in March.  I am taking them on another cruise for that week. We are driving the 5 hours to the Port of Charleston.   While I am not looking forward to a lot of school kids on the ship, and possibly collage age drunks (I have done a search and found no near by colleges with breaks at that time) having more kids will be good for the grandchildren.  

Anyway, DH and I cannot find decent airfare for the cruise on the 9th.  We are talking figures of $600 - $800pp or more for Premium Economy, and $1000 - $1500pp or more for First class.  This is even if we drive to ATL (from NE TN) before flying out.  Very frustrating!!!

8 hours ago, cthrn27 said:

Hello.  I have never cruised Holland America.  I was wondering if Spring Break would have an impact on this line?  More crowded?  More kids?  More COLLEGE drinkers?  Thanks.

Be careful during spring break....My 83 year old Mother and her 79 year old friend are boarding the Nieuw Statendam 3/3 and are heading to Cozumel.......

Should be a wild party ship....NOT.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1