Insurance when you don't have medical details

Hi - I expect the answer to this is going to be a straight-forward "No", but I thought i'd check. 

I'm taking my mum on a cruise holiday this year and I was looking at insurance for the both of us. I'm happy with pretty basic stuff - just something that would pay out in worst case scenarios. I tried to get a quote yesterday but they ask for pretty extensive medical history - including every prescription medicine used and every doctors/medical visit for any reason. I don't really want to invade my mum's privacy by asking for all of this, i'm not aware that she has any problems, but there might be small stuff she doesn't really want to share. And i'm 100% certain that the insurance company would weasel out of a claim if everything isn't listed. 

I'm assuming that this means I will have to ask her to take out her own cover - but is there any way around it?

I'm taking a leap here and guessing you're from Great Britian. (the use of mum and holiday along with insurance asking for specific medical history)

Most people on here are from the States and of course the rules and regulations governing travel insurance vary greatly from country to country.

However, from spending 20 years on this board (it started as an AOL chat room), I would guess that you are correct in that the answer is No.

Then again, is the cruise line that you are sailing with offering some type of insurance. I would imagine that while limited, they should have some level of coverage that falls within the regulations required by your Government.

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

I'm taking a leap here and guessing you're from Great Britian. (the use of mum and holiday along with insurance asking for specific medical history)

Most people on here are from the States and of course the rules and regulations governing travel insurance vary greatly from country to country.

However, from spending 20 years on this board (it started as an AOL chat room), I would guess that you are correct in that the answer is No.

Then again, is the cruise line that you are sailing with offering some type of insurance. I would imagine that while limited, they should have some level of coverage that falls within the regulations required by your Government.

I agree with klfrodo (again! 😉 ) and figured you weren't from the USA (it would help to state what country you *are* in someone knowledgeable from that country could chime in for you.

[Oops posted in error too fast!]

Might a possible fix be to have your mother complete her own insurance form?  Could it be sent in separately, for her privacy?

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

4 hours ago, bluecontrolman said:

Hi - I expect the answer to this is going to be a straight-forward "No", but I thought i'd check. 

I'm assuming that this means I will have to ask her to take out her own cover - but is there any way around it?

As others said, probably NO. There is a forum on Cruise Critic, not devoted to insurance, but peopled by members from the UK:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/544-uk-cruisers/

You can see if anyone over there has insight.

14 hours ago, bluecontrolman said:

Thanks for your replies. Sorry, yes i'm from the UK. 

Best if you can put that in your profile details with your screen name, so that everyone can see where you are from.

This is an oversight on a lot of profiles, and I have seen so many misdirected conversations because we are answering as if you are from Canada, or the US, vs. Australia, or UK.

We all know that there can be so many differences from insurance, to deposits, to payment terms, and cancellation.  It all depends on where you are from.