Solo cruising thoughts/advice

happycruiser7

I’m considering taking my first voyage solo and while I’m close to booking I’m feeling discouraged about going on a cruise alone. I’ve been on quite a few cruises with my family so this isn’t my first time overall or with the line in question. 

My parents and I generally all cram into a single cabin and they think I’ll have a better time with another person.

I’m 30 years old and on the one hand I want their approval so I can go without feeling guilty. I have some visual issues but nothing that would hinder my ability to cruise alone. My dad thinks I should go solo while on the same trip as them first so I’m somewhat on my own but not completely alone and have the option to have people to talk to during the day or at meals. 

On the other hand I don’t think I want to go with someone else. Company would be nice but I’ve spent so many trips feeling like I’m on top of someone else, fighting over storage for clothes or electronics, arguing over the bathroom, or having to worry about not waking someone else up when I come back from going out at night. It would be nice to have a cabin to myself, go where I want to go on the ship/in port and do things on my own timing.

I spend most of the time doing onboard activities or other things when I travel with my family and we end up arguing because I want to do something and they want to stay in the cabin or are on deck somewhere. 

I found a trip I can afford/works with my work schedule and I’m torn between wanting to go and having doubts or just not wanting to. My dad thinks I can handle it mentally if I did and seemed somewhat supportive where as my mother I don’t think wants me to go. I did invite them to come if it works with their schedules as it was the trip I wanted. 

I don’t want to spend the money and either be miserable/guilty and not enjoy it or not get a chance at a vacation because of work. At this point I’m so upset and frustrated that I don’t even want to go anymore. 

Does anyone have any experience with solo cruising or have any advice?

I did three cruises with my sister, the first in August 2022, so I’m still pretty new to cruising but I love it.  After out last cruise in October I decided to book a solo cruise.  I chose a 5 day cruise to someplace I’ve already been so that if I hated cruising solo I wouldn’t be miserable for an entire week, and going somewhere familiar was less stressful.  I ended up having a great time.  I sailed with NCL and they do the most for solo cruisers.  I went to the solo meetup on the first day and met many great people.  I went to dinner at a specialty restaurant that first night with three of them, ate in the MDR other nights (the solo host arranged for tables for the group) and did another specialty dining with some solos on the last night.

I never felt lonely.  I never had to think about what anyone else wanted to do or where they wanted to eat.  I enjoyed the cruise so much I booked another solo trip the day I got home.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, stinkyharriet said:

I did three cruises with my sister, the first in August 2022, so I’m still pretty new to cruising but I love it.  After out last cruise in October I decided to book a solo cruise.  I chose a 5 day cruise to someplace I’ve already been so that if I hated cruising solo I wouldn’t be miserable for an entire week, and going somewhere familiar was less stressful.  I ended up having a great time.  I sailed with NCL and they do the most for solo cruisers.  I went to the solo meetup on the first day and met many great people.  I went to dinner at a specialty restaurant that first night with three of them, ate in the MDR other nights (the solo host arranged for tables for the group) and did another specialty dining with some solos on the last night.

I never felt lonely.  I never had to think about what anyone else wanted to do or where they wanted to eat.  I enjoyed the cruise so much I booked another solo trip the day I got home.

Thank you. I’m looking at Princess and I think the trip I’m looking at is a 10 dayer but if I can’t find a shorter one with a similar price point I may consider that one instead. 

I have my first solo cruise coming up later this year, so I can't speak directly to that yet...but it sounds from your post like you want to go alone, and you can afford to go alone, and you think you could have a good time alone. It sounds (and forgive me if I've misunderstood your post) like the only problem is that your parents don't approve, and the friction from that is leading to your doubts. And frankly, it's not up to them. You're an adult, and if you want to go on vacation alone you get to do that. From what you've said about what vacations with your family are like it sounds like it would be a refreshing change of pace.

I love traveling alone and getting to set my own itinerary, do my own research, make my own decisions about how I spend my time and money, and not have to stop and negotiate any of it with anyone. If that sounds good to you I strongly encourage you to try it, regardless of what your parents think.

It's true that 10 days is a long time to try something, but honestly to me it sounds blissful. As long as there are shipboard activities you enjoy, or you can bring a good book, or whatever you like to do...how bad could it be? And afterwards you'll certainly know whether you like cruising alone and want to do more of it in the future.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, GlitterFemme said:

I have my first solo cruise coming up later this year, so I can't speak directly to that yet...but it sounds from your post like you want to go alone, and you can afford to go alone, and you think you could have a good time alone. It sounds (and forgive me if I've misunderstood your post) like the only problem is that your parents don't approve, and the friction from that is leading to your doubts. And frankly, it's not up to them. You're an adult, and if you want to go on vacation alone you get to do that. From what you've said about what vacations with your family are like it sounds like it would be a refreshing change of pace.

I love traveling alone and getting to set my own itinerary, do my own research, make my own decisions about how I spend my time and money, and not have to stop and negotiate any of it with anyone. If that sounds good to you I strongly encourage you to try it, regardless of what your parents think.

It's true that 10 days is a long time to try something, but honestly to me it sounds blissful. As long as there are shipboard activities you enjoy, or you can bring a good book, or whatever you like to do...how bad could it be? And afterwards you'll certainly know whether you like cruising alone and want to do more of it in the future.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it.

Thank you. 

I think the issue is more they think I’m jumping head first into something I’ve never done before instead of easing into it and that I may be happier if I go with someone else. I'm visually impaired (not enough to hinder traveling) and my anxiety also sometimes gets the better of me. So if there’s another person there (or even if my parents are in a different cabin) there’s someone who can enjoy the trip with me and help me if I get anxious. 

They’re just worried something will happen and are a little over protective. They’ve always been that way and I’ve always been the kind of person who needs their approval or I feel guilty doing something. My dad thinks I can handle it as does my therapist. 

They’ve been invited to come it’s just not a commitment my mom can make with work at the moment. I’m looking to commit when she can’t. 

I tried to plan something with someone last year and they were flaky and put so many restrictions on the trip when they did none of the work and left me to do it all which isn’t a big deal but at that point I just started planning for myself. Something better just came up so I ended up on a different trip. I’m not opposed to having someone come but I kind of want some independence before I bring other people. 

• Like 2

Hi, I can tell you cruising solo is the only way I sail. I have lived on my own for almost my entire life (I am quite  a bit older than you) and I have no desire to ever share a cabin with anyone again. Hell, I don't even share "the clicker" with anyone here at home LOL.....so sharing my own space in a cabin? Nope, not going to happen.  I have been cruising solo for 20 years and love it😃 I can tell you from my experiences, I love being able to do what I want, or don't want,  I can participate in activities, or not.......all without being concerned about someone else.

As for your family? I can't help you there.......I don't need nor want anyone's approval for my decisions, especially on my cruising decisions😃.......but I only have a very small family.......my parents are gone and my sister and bil? They love to cruise too LOL

Anyway, I would say go for it and have a great time!😃

• Like 9

I’ve done many solo cruises, and I’ve gotten quite spoiled having a room all to myself!  I also love setting my own schedule, and never having to consult with someone else about what we’re going to do today!  I’ve done back to backs for 14 total nights, and wouldn’t have minded staying longer.  

When the ships first started up after Covid, I had to eat at a table for 1 in the main dining room, and the buffet wasn’t open for dinner.  I thought I’d hate that.  But I even love that now, and usually choose to have my own table.  If you want to meet others at dinner, I’d suggest signing up for late dining, as you’re more likely to be assigned a table with others closer to your age.  

But trust your gut.  You know yourself best!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, happycruiser7 said:

Thank you. 

I think the issue is more they think I’m jumping head first into something I’ve never done before instead of easing into it and that I may be happier if I go with someone else. I'm visually impaired (not enough to hinder traveling) and my anxiety also sometimes gets the better of me. So if there’s another person there (or even if my parents are in a different cabin) there’s someone who can enjoy the trip with me and help me if I get anxious. 

They’re just worried something will happen and are a little over protective. They’ve always been that way and I’ve always been the kind of person who needs their approval or I feel guilty doing something. My dad thinks I can handle it as does my therapist. 

They’ve been invited to come it’s just not a commitment my mom can make with work at the moment. I’m looking to commit when she can’t. 

I tried to plan something with someone last year and they were flaky and put so many restrictions on the trip when they did none of the work and left me to do it all which isn’t a big deal but at that point I just started planning for myself. Something better just came up so I ended up on a different trip. I’m not opposed to having someone come but I kind of want some independence before I bring other people. 

That all makes sense! I understand why people who worry about you would want you to ease in--but jumping in is also a valid approach. And it sounds like you know your limits and you're not going to try something that's beyond them when you're on your own for the first time. (And maybe they'll be able to join you after all! But you shouldn't have to wait to book until you know that.)

I can only speak for myself here, but I also have anxiety, and I find it's is much better when I travel alone. Not having to negotiate other people's needs or desires, or worry how any travel hitches will affect anyone else and how I can ease the impact on them, really frees me up to have a good time without worrying. But everyone's anxiety is different.

Ultimately only you can decide what's best for you. When you're ready to try cruising solo, I hope you love it.

• Like 2

In my case, I first took my then 13 year old granddaughter on a cruise.  That was almost like cruising alone.  She only ate a few meals with me and went off reading or with her new friend she met at the teen club.  

It made me realize I could do solo and have a good time.

Everyone has to choose their own path.  I hope you thoroughly enjoy your choice. 

I say go for it. I just did an 11 night solo on Princess and loved it. Ive done a few solo cruises but most were short cruises. Even when I cruise with family or friends we aren’t together all the time 

See if there is a roll call and join it. We had a very active roll call so you can chat ahead of time. We had a meet up the 1st afternoon. It was nice because some of us ate dinner together. I’d run into folks at trivia, shows etc. 

You may find you love it. I know I did. I’m tired of waiting for someone to go with me 

21 hours ago, happycruiser7 said:

Parents worry...doesn't matter how old you are. That said you are an adult! You've given them the choice to come with you, and they have said that won't work for them. That's their choice,

I've cruised twice, once with sharing a room with my Aunt (parents in a different room) and the second cruise was just me, myself and I in one room with my parents a few doors down. (dad was jealous cause my balcony was bigger lol) I was able to do what I wanted sometimes with one or both parents tagging along. Given the age difference there were many things I wanted to do they wanted no part of and the same could be said of me. Most nights we simply met up for dinner and compared notes.

I am now investigating solo cruises..the major issue I'm finding is simply being able to afford the airfare to the cruise port and of course the single supplement.  However if the stars align and those two things before more doable I'll be on the next boat outta town! it might be a canoe but I'll be on it! For the worrywarts in my family...I will make some accommodations and get the internet package so that I can email them at least each night (probably).

If you feel confidant that you can do a cruise (and the associated headaches that come with travel in general), you've found a cruise line that you like and can afford to do then I say Go for it!  I'm sure that your therapist can prescribe something for the anxiety if you need it. I took my meds with me but found that after the plane ride I did not need it (and in fact, would not have needed it then if Dad had not gotten me all worked up, Mom was less than impressed with him).

You might just surprise yourself with how capable you really are!

• Like 3

I'm mid 50s and have been travelling & cruising solo since I was 15. 

To be honest (and sorry if I'm blunt) the idea of my parents having any say in my life at 30 horrifies me! I didn't even allow them any say when I was 15. I was very independent. I have a wide circle of friends of many ages and I honestly don't know a soul who would allow their parents that kind of influence in their lives after they turned 18 (legal adult in my country). It may be different where you are so I'm not judging. 

Everything you said in your first post about what you like (and dislike) in cruising tells me you really want to be a solo cruiser !!!

You are really doing nothing new to you. You have already cruised regularly so you know how it all works and what you like to do. The difference is you have the joy of that cabin all to yourself. All the decisions each day are yours. 

I live with severe anxiety. It literally disappears on holidays because I am at peace. The best bit about being a solo is that it's completely up to you whether you want to be an introvert or an extrovert. And that can change by the hour or the day. I'm introverted in the mornings. I like to have breakfast in the main dining room at a solo table in peace and quiet. 
At lunch and dinner I may feel more extroverted and join a group table and chat with strangers. I may feel totally different the next day if I'm too "peopled out" or if something happened during the day that caused a bit of an anxiety flare (say a tour got cancelled or ran late and I got over stressed). 
In addition, travelling solo removes the arguments about what everyone wants to do etc. And removing that constant argument situation actually reduces your anxiety. Win win !!! 

So go for it. Once you have done it and discovered to love it, perhaps the parentals will cut (or at least trim) the apron strings. 

good luck and happy cruising. 

• Like 4

A good test for travelling solo is do you enjoy going to a restaurant alone or a museum. Take yourself out on a “date night” and see if you enjoy the freedom of doing what you want when you want. I have anxiety but it’s much lighter when I travel solo plus worse case reach out to your support network virtually when you need it. You’re 30 it’s time to enjoy your life. Im 34 and took my first solo cruise at 31 so I get it. If your therapist thinks you’ll be fine just and you like your own company just book it. 

• Like 1

The freedom of solo cruises is great. Wake, sleep, eat, excursions, etc on your schedule and your wants is so nice. If you go to a bar, a trivia game and just say hi to your neighbor, most times you will get a response and possibly a lot of new info or insight. 

Plan on going. Make sure you sign up to the roll call and look for your sailing on other social media sites that cannot be mentioned by name.

Dont hesitate to mention that you are traveling solo, there may be others in the same situation.

Princess usually has a solo meetup posted the first evening/late afternoon. Look for it either on the app or their daily schedule that will be in your room. When I went on Ruby Princess they only listed it that first night,

If you see a meet and mingle, go to that. Also if you like to have a drink, sitting at the bar is better than sitting alone in a chair. 
Then enjoy just doing what you want to do when you want to do it. Sleep in late, read a book, party your butt off. 

you never know until you try.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always been on my own, single with no kids.  I love travelling and I love the sea.  I cannot handle the company of other people.  I went on a couple of trips with friends and I always had a miserable time.  

When I am on a cruise, I take the time to have some peace and time to myself. 

On a sea day, I have a big breakfast, hit a gym class, read, maybe go and have a spa treatment or relax in the thermal rooms.  If I am studying, I will do an hour of my Diploma studies.

On a Port day, I have an excursion booked, or explore on my own.  Then come back, have dinner, maybe chat to a few people and then hit the thermal room again before bed.

I love the sea and love waking up to a new port every day.  Solo travelling has definitely helped my confidence. 

• Like 4

You are the only person you get to please, so start declaring what pleases you. You can have chicken nuggets and shakes for every meal if that’s your thing or you can order steaks and lobster for snacks so what? You can turn the tv off watch nothing but SpongeBob who cares? Wear those shiny shoes or sleep in your swimsuit, read trashy novels or sing with the band, drink beers or tea, sleep in or wander through the ship- laugh or cry, be active or still, tell tall tales or whisper to the wind, rot your brain or nourish your soul and make a memory if you like, erase some memories. 

It’s your vacation. All meals and housekeeping and entertainment is available for you to enjoy or not. Go out there and realize you are a complete person on your own, and that is okay. 

• Like 6

Cruising is the best way to start travelling solo, because everything is arranged for you -- you don't need to plan where to go to dinner, or worry about walking into a bar alone; there's entertainment options all nearby if you want them, but safe and quiet places to go if you don't.  You will see the same people around the ship so often, they won't be strangers for long, and that will make it easier to strike up conversations with them, and you will all have some shared experiences (which are great for starting conversations). 

I think a 10 day trip is a good one to start solo cruising -- cruises of 7 days or less tend to have more of a party vibe, and cruisers are more likely to want to hang with the people they came with.  In a longer cruise, more cruisers are (in my experience) more laid-back, willing to talk with other travellers, and less focused on being busy all the time. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I worried before my first solo cruise. But it turned out to be the best cruise ever! I met a wonderful couple I spent all my time with and even went on three trips with later. If you don't mind being alone, you will be fine. If you find it easy to meet people, you will be fine. Go and have a great time. You can make your own schedule. I've traveled alone now for over10 years and love it!

• Like 2

Kudos to you, Sambamama,from a Bay State neighbor who always enjoys your posts,especially those on the joys of solo cruising...Keep up the good work !.

• Like 1