Concierge GTY - Any downside to booking this on Apex?

momofmab

My TA has a promo for the sailing I'm looking at that makes this class of cabin cheaper than a regular IV balcony (non-GTY).

Is there any downside to taking my chances with this level of GTY?  I'd be booking 2 cabins and don't care if they are near each other.  I've sailed on Edge class before (in a Concierge balcony) and don't really have a cabin location preference, except that I wouldn't want it to be completely obstructed.

When booking a GTY, how soon before the sailing does one find out the exact cabin location?

TIA!

How soon depends but typically they do it pretty quickly. I booked a veranda gty for our cruise on Ascent and our last cruise on Reflection. Both were assigned within a few weeks of booking and long before sailing. The downside is you dont get to pick location, but even that is not so bad. Our gty for ascent was in the front near the theater and I got it moved to the back in the same category. 

• Like 1

I would say if you go in with the mindset that you will receive the worst cabin in the classification and consider any better assignment a win I think you will be fine.  I've done 3 guaranteed Sky Suites.    2 ended up being Accessible Sky Suites and 1 was right under the kitchen galley and could hear what sounded like subway passing ever  10-15 minutes from 6AM to 9Am   and 4PM to 7PM.    I checked and above was the entrance to the dish washing area entrance and the sound was pushing big carts full of plates.

• Like 2

Go for it, once assigned, if it is in an area you do not like, check to see what’s available by doing a mock sailing for the same Category level, and try to get that room. A good TA will be able to do this. I just book a Sky suite and was assigned an obstruction room, called the TA and had the room changes. 

Edited by Bosjoe