CoCoa Cay????

mmsas

Personally I love Coco Cay. It's pure paradise for me. And actually it's my favorite port out of any we've been to.

It's the RCCL private island in the Bahamas. They have a beach BBQ.

Before we had children, we would do the jetski excursion and it was one of the best highlights from any cruise. They took us to a ship and plane wreck site. The guide jumped off his jetski. And nurse sharks and manarays were swimming all around his legs. :eek:

I would love to go back there but our next cruise is stopping at Labadee.

You should expect a super beach day, with plenty of facilities, fun, food, drink and (hopefully) sun! Think of it as a sea day, but on land. You have to do nothing, except relax! They have waverunners for rent, floats, etc... but you are under no obligation to take part. You can find a hammock under a shade palm and swing the day away!

I've never been to CocaCay, but I have been to Labadee and enjoyed it very much. :)

We will be going to CocoCay on our upcoming cruise.

I'm wondering if anyone who has been to both islands can give a comparison between the two.

Are they very similar?

What are the differences?

They are very similar in terms of set up and purpose - beach, activities, BBQ. The main difference is surrounding topography. Being in Haiti, Labadee's area is more hilly and forrested; being in the Bahamas, CC is flat. CC has more shallow water surrounding it. But the biggest difference to me is that CC has decent snorkeling, where Laba has zero snorkeling.

They both feature the delicious Coco Loco....

CocoCay is a very nice and relaxing day at the beach. The vendors are not right in your face trying to seel you stuff, In fact you have to go where they are at in you want to buy something. So plan to have a nice relaxing, day. You can snorkle, parasail (its awesome), jetski, and I believe there is an area for the kids.

Hope you can tender in, sometimes the Captain has to skip CocoCay because of the rough water.

Annieeee

Sunshine, white sand, turquoise water, and Coco Loco's...Yummy!!!

When you tender over there is reggae music playing on arrival...lots of palm trees...there are places to rent mats to float around on ($5)..lots of lounge chairs to lay and relax on, hammocks, etc.. They have a bbq.(.free of charge.)..a small straw market to buy shirts, purses, etc...iI have never parasailed, but did on Coco Cay...I STRONGLY recommend it...EVERYONE that did it loved it, and wanted to do it again..The water is amazingly beautiful..words don't describe its beauty..They also have a Coco Loco drink which is fruity with a pineapple juice taste...They are DELICIOUS!! Had a couple of those two, with souvenir plastic glasses... You will love Coco Cay...I hope you have the warm, beautiful day that we did. It was perfect!!

When you tender over there is reggae music playing on arrival...lots of palm trees...there are places to rent mats to float around on ($5)..

quote]

I'm pretty sure the mats are going for $10 now...

Two tips for cocoa cay:

1. Try and be on the first ferry over - head to the left once you leave the pier and grab a shaded area with hammocks.

2. Definitely do the corn on the cob at the beach picnic (if they still have it). There is something wonderfully delicious about corn that has been seasoned with cinammon and vanilla!

When you tender over there is reggae music playing on arrival...lots of palm trees...there are places to rent mats to float around on ($5)..

quote]

I'm pretty sure the mats are going for $10 now...

Ok, my mistake...I didn't use them, so I thought they were $5...

Is there a particular time of year the ships have trouble getting to COCO CAY? I remember last year there was a period where every week it seemed all the ships that had a call there couldn't due to rough seas or high winds. I will be on the Majesty in May and it is going to be my first time going to COCO CAY. Really looking forward to it.

Is there a particular time of year the ships have trouble getting to COCO CAY? I remember last year there was a period where every week it seemed all the ships that had a call there couldn't due to rough seas or high winds. I will be on the Majesty in May and it is going to be my first time going to COCO CAY. Really looking forward to it.

You know, I don't know if it's just the small islands or what. But we've had problems twice getting to the private ones on 2 different lines on 2 different times of the year. The one was a private NCCL island, no go, the currents too strong on a June cruise...the 2nd was Disney's private island, also in the bahamas, but this was February. The captain tried and tried.

Archived