Viking Rhine River Cruise, From Amsterdam to Basel

smillerdvm

Hello,

I am trying to sort out port transportation provided by Viking when docking isn't within walking distant to town/city.

If we opt out of any provided tours, does viking provide shuttles or are we on our own to find our way to the town/city?

If we are are on our own, are taxis or Uber easy to call/fund? 

If someone reading this, who has been on this tour recently, can you please tell us your experience or observations inch port, we be very appreciative:

Kinderdijk, Cologne, Koblenz, Rudesheim, Speyer, Strasbourg, and Breisach

Thank you!

On 1/31/2024 at 7:57 PM, smillerdvm said:

Kinderdijk, 

Boat stops right by the windmills. If you don't want to see them close up, there a gift shop and bicycle rental place. Nothing else there

On 1/31/2024 at 7:57 PM, smillerdvm said:

Cologne, Koblenz, Rudesheim, Speyer, Strasbourg and Breisach

Boats moored right there, town at end of jetty.

Strasbourg is a bus journey. Take the Viking coach in the morning for city tour either come back for lunch and take afternoon shuttles or stay in Strasbourg and come back on one of the afternoon shuttle, see Day 2 of trip report linked to below

We were at Breisach on a Sunday and everything was closed. You moor by the city, centre is few minutes walk.

Speyer has amazing technical museum few minutes walk from boat; see Day 3 of my trip report here -

I've been on Viking twice from Basel to Amsterdam and once from Basel to Koblenz (and then along the Mosel. Timings going from Amsterdam> Basel will be different. You might like to read my report of second Basel>Amsterdam trip

Viking Tialfi Cruise Ship: Review, Photos & Departure Ports on Cruise Critic here

Edited by pontac

• 4 weeks later...

We took the Basel to Amsterdam Viking Cruise last July.

We were very happy with the entire week.

Three things stand out.
First the day long cruise down the Rhine, with narration from the onboard cruise director.
Second, the bus trip to Strasburg, which was an included excursion. Highlight of that was the astronomical clock at the Cathedral. Hard to fathom  how ancient people could mathematically be so exact.

Third was the Viking excursion that took us to a dairy farm and then the windmills. The windmills can be seen on your own since the ship docks next to them, but do take the excursion, you will learn so much about this World Heritage site and the mechanics of environmental water control.

Finally  if you are a wine drinker or a cocktail maven, do take the silver package.

I had wines that I could only dream about here in the States and my husband had scotches  and cocktails that kept him happy all week!

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2024 at 6:05 PM, trivia addict said:

We took the Basel to Amsterdam Viking Cruise last July.

We were very happy with the entire week.

Three things stand out.
First the day long cruise down the Rhine, with narration from the onboard cruise director.
Second, the bus trip to Strasburg, which was an included excursion. Highlight of that was the astronomical clock at the Cathedral. Hard to fathom  how ancient people could mathematically be so exact.

Third was the Viking excursion that took us to a dairy farm and then the windmills. The windmills can be seen on your own since the ship docks next to them, but do take the excursion, you will learn so much about this World Heritage site and the mechanics of environmental water control.

Finally  if you are a wine drinker or a cocktail maven, do take the silver package.

I had wines that I could only dream about here in the States and my husband had scotches  and cocktails that kept him happy all week!

What is the drink package? I can't find any details. Also, did you do their air? I am told the Basel airport is not always where you fly in to?

We did do the Viking Air but we paid the extra fee for air plus  to choose our own flights. ( I think it was $100 pp for this service)

We had to fly into Frankfurt and from there flew into Basel.

Viking gives you free beer and wine for lunch and dinner, but cocktails are extra. The drink package gives you all bar drinks, and beer, and wine whenever you want. The wine selection is much larger with the package giving you the chance to try all of the local wines. And we take advantage of that! 

i believe it is called the Silver Spirits package and you can buy it at the bar when you first board. Probably can buy it ahead of time but we have twice done it onboard.

I can’t remember the exact price but pretty sure it’s well under $200 for the entire week. I’m sure you can call Viking to get the price.

A lot different than what we pay on the cruise lines here!

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Viking Rhine River Cruise, From Amsterdam to Basel
16 hours ago, trivia addict said:

We did do the Viking Air but we paid the extra fee for air plus  to choose our own flights. ( I think it was $100 pp for this service)

We had to fly into Frankfurt and from there flew into Basel.

Viking gives you free beer and wine for lunch and dinner, but cocktails are extra. The drink package gives you all bar drinks, and beer, and wine whenever you want. The wine selection is much larger with the package giving you the chance to try all of the local wines. And we take advantage of that! 

i believe it is called the Silver Spirits package and you can buy it at the bar when you first board. Probably can buy it ahead of time but we have twice done it onboard.

I can’t remember the exact price but pretty sure it’s well under $200 for the entire week. I’m sure you can call Viking to get the price.

A lot different than what we pay on the cruise lines here!

17 hours ago, victory2020 said:

What is the drink package? I can't find any details. Also, did you do their air? I am told the Basel airport is not always where you fly in to?

I think that Basel is always where you will fly into.  It does not make sense that they would shuttle you to any other airport.

The Silver Spirits Beverage Package is $25 USD per night per person.  Not per day, per night.

Just want to clarify that even if you do not purchase the SSBP you still have access to all spirits and wine and beer on their extended list, you just pay per drink.  Most all Viking drinks are very reasonable in price.

With the included beer and wine at lunch and dinner we don't purchase the SSBP anymore because the additional drinks we might want in the evening in the lounge never surpass the $50 USD per night that we would pay for the package and we have always been happy with Vikings included wines.

You can also buy a bottle of wine or liquor off the ship and bring it on board a Viking ship.  There are no restrictions on this.  You can ask the restaurant to chill your wine and serve it to you at dinner.  We have often purchased wine during a winery tour and brought that back with us.

We have friends that bring their own Gin on board and make their drinks in their cabin and carry them to the lounge.  All good.

You can also at the end of dinner ask for your wine glass to be topped up with the included wine (to the brim) and then carry that to the lounge for your evening after dinner sipping.

Just to be clear, yes you will fly into Basel, but it might not be a direct flight. As I said, we first had to fly to Frankfort for our connection and I know that some on our ship first flew into Paris before coming into Basel.

The Silver beverage works for us because my husband enjoys craft cocktails and I like the fact that I have a wider choice of wines than those that are included in the price of the cruise. We feel that the $25 per night is worth it for us.

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2024 at 5:24 PM, victory2020 said:

What is the drink package? I can't find any details. 

On the Web Site scroll down to find FAQ link under Company Information

In FAQ scroll down to find section headed Life On Board

Under that heading is Can I upgrade the complimentary beverages?

That has all the details.

@CDNPolar has, as usual, thoroughly gone into details. I'd just add that everyone in the cabin has to buy the package even if your partner doesn't drink.

Also, as well as the unlimited complimentary beer/wine at lunch & dinner there are other occasions drinks are served, including cocktails at the  Viking Explorers function. This used to be restricted to people who'd cruised before but now there's so many it's open to everyone. And they'll be pouring Aquavit, and as you're cruising down the Middle Rhine they'll be serving coffee with rum in it, and there's the Captains farewell cocktail party at cruise end. So no shortage of booze.

I'd suggest waiting till you get on board and look at wine and bar list before deciding if you want to buy the package. Drinks not covered by the package are marked with an asterisk.

On 4/5/2024 at 5:24 PM, victory2020 said:

I am told the Basel airport is not always where you fly in to?

Every time I've been on a cruise departing Basel we've flown into Basel Airport. Those on a pre-cruise extension may fly into another airport.

Note Basel airport is not in Switzerland and it has two exits from the baggage hall. Make certain you take the Swiss exit or you'll be in France. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1