San Diego Port - I’m getting nervous

Hobar

18 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Neptune Suite guests are among the many sailing who are offered "priority".  

For example the Koningsdam sailings may have: 

President's Club = 6

5 Star                 = 140

4 Star                 = 443

Hotel to ship       = 113

Airport to ship     = 218

Neptune Suites   =  40

That is more than 1/3 of those who are embarking!

And it is not an unusual event any more. The ships are larger and many are used to the 'good old days' when most of the fleet were 1,200-1,350 at full capacity.

David

Just curious how you found the count…I find it very interesting info and would love to know for my Panama Cruise . Also are you missing Club Orange in the count? I think they get priority too.

18 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, if you are expecting HAL to provide a wheelchair for your use during the cruise,  you may be disappointed. There are vendors who you can rent from but you need to set that up in advance.

Last time we boarded in SD there was a lady who needed wheelchair assistance and she had to wait for a chair for boarding became available. Have you considered a rollator, that she could sit on in case there is a wait?

I think I have to agree with you. Christine Kestaloo (social influencer and HAL cruiser just posted about mobility rentals and I believe she got the device in San Diego. HOPEFULLY you can see the link. Special Needs at Sea

Cheers

IMG_7930.jpeg

1 hour ago, redbanshee said:

Just curious how you found the count…I find it very interesting info and would love to know for my Panama Cruise . Also are you missing Club Orange in the count? I think they get priority too.

He works at the cruise terminal and posts helpful replies to threads here. A colleague of his also does.

• Like 1

The answer seems simple - go in the afternoon.

If lunch is the consideration: The coveted lunch is not always offered and many people go through all types of gyrations for single meal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, cbr663 said:

I have never needed assistance boarding yet I wonder if you need assistance do you request that with HAL or with the port itself?  

Already did and receive a response assuming us one will be available, but have heard that might not be the case.  My mom will have her super cool rollator so that is our Plan B.  

8 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I can only relate that my experience, a couple of weeks ago was smooth as butter.  There was a podium with a red umbella that I went to and told the lady that I had requested wheelchair assistance, that I couldn't walk far and couldn't stand long.  She got me into the terminal lickety split and sat me in a holding area.  Within about 10 minutes a port employee came with a wheel chair and took me through check-in and security and then took me to a HAL holding area.  A whole brigade of HAL employees with wheelchairs was lined up just waiting for boarding to start.  Once they got the word they got us loaded up and took us on board.

A caviet - there was no other ship embarking.  Also, I had Club Orange priority but that never really came into play.

I hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.

Thank you so much. I remember you posting that it went well for you, and then I started seeing posts lines, etc.  I hope you enjoyed your cruise, and we fully intend to enjoy ours.  Already rounding up orange outfits.  We plan to partake in all the activities.

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The answer seems simple - go in the afternoon.

If lunch is the consideration: The coveted lunch is not always offered and many people go through all types of gyrations for single meal. 

I’m thinking that a lovely leisurely lunch before we board might be nice.  Now, I just have to make sure I get to the ship before sailing at 3 PM.  Not an easy feat if I drink too much wine. 🙂 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I don’t know why they can’t erect some type of covering if they’re going to do this.

Not sure who "they" is but ask the Port of San Diego for a shade canopy. It's their property.

7 hours ago, Hobar said:

I’m thinking that a lovely leisurely lunch before we board might be nice.  Now, I just have to make sure I get to the ship before sailing at 3 PM.  Not an easy feat if I drink too much wine. 🙂 

Little Italy is nearby for a great lunch.

Yes, later is better to avoid the madness.

And maybe take an umbrella JIC.

You have a great cruise in your future!!

FWIW We also sailed K'dam out of San Diego Dec 2022 and things were the usual fine, just walk on. So I was surprised to read about (and see the pictures of) the chaos Dec 2023. No idea what changed, but indeed it was insane.

• Like 1