Uber in Buenos Aires

uktog

Please no debate on the rights and wrongs of Uber!

I will only be in BA a very short time and I have my transfers all booked and charged back to my credit card. However I need to make one return journey to join a tour I’ve booked. I was planning to use Uber and not to exchange currency. 

I’ve read elsewhere that drivers aren’t doing Uber pick ups from hotels and weirdly (didn’t think this was possible) Uber drivers contacting bookers asking if it’s a card payment and cancelling the ride when told yes (makes no sense to me)

Anyway what is cruisers recent experience (especially post devaluation of the currency) about using Uber in BA?  Did you find it hard to get a ride? 

We used Uber in BA twice within the last two weeks.  We found that if the time we needed the Uber was important we scheduled an Uber.  It costs more but the Uber is there.  When arriving in BA from Iguazu we had a taxi and she arranged to pick us up from our hotel to get us to the airport that evening.  Same price as Uber.  If you would like her Whatsapp I will send it to you.  The problem with Uber at the ports is that they give availability and price and then when you are ready it is a moto.  If you take a taxi make sure they use a meter.  We loved BA.  Cherie

Thanks, I’ve got the airport and cruise port all sorted, my Uber needs are to and from a restaurant at the start and end of a pre arranged tour. Sounds like if we allow plenty time we will be fine 

• 2 weeks later...

It means that when you check ahead for an uber you might get the cost for a car, when you are ready for the pick up it says "moto" meaing motorcycle.  It happened to a few people on our cruise, especially in BA.  Cherie

• 2 weeks later...

We found it pretty easy and fast.  If we needed one at a particular time and at a specific place we ordered ahead of time.  It costs more, maybe $5, but is way less than the taxi scalpers that are waiting outside the cruise terminal.  We did this when leaving for the airport at 5:30 a.m.  If you are going to be there soon you might just do a trial request to see what the time and rate is for what you are looking for. We did this so we had an idea of what the Uber or Lift might be as opposed to a taxi.  Also, if taking a taxi...make sure they are going to use the meter.  Cherie 

• 2 weeks later...