Panama Canal cruise & passport requirements?

On 2/5/2024 at 4:41 PM, jimsig said:

As an FYI the current wait time for a Passport on average is very quick.  My sister got her kids passports for the first time and it took 21 days from the day they were sent until they received them.  

I just renewed mine and got it back today, only 18 days after I sent in the renewal.  

Others on social media have been reporting just as quick processing times.

Last summer/fall it was taking about 8 to 12 weeks with most getting theirs on the higher end.  But they have worked through the backlog.  

I submitted a passport renewal in November. I got my supporting documents back the second week in December. My new passport finally showed up last week. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Just off the Bliss last week through the Panama Canal.

We were told to take passports with us on Panama shore excursions.

No one asked for them at all.

However, there were officials at the terminal, not doing anything in particular, that might decide to check the docs at times. Anyway, in case of some sort of emergency while ashore could be another reason to have it with you.

This was not a requirement at all in Colombia.

Same experience this week. And thanks for keeping the ship in top shape for us!

23 minutes ago, hallux said:

Same experience this week. And thanks for keeping the ship in top shape for us!

I knew you were coming, so I went around and polished everything in sight.

BTW, they do a really great job on cleaning the ship.

Disembarkation in Miami turned into a fiasco.

They called our group 45 minutes early - then we totally stalled on deck 7 because "customs is backed up".

Ended up LATE getting off and missed our flight @ 11:20 - arrived at MIA 15 minutes before.

After being told our only option was a light to Atlanta later that day and connection to NY (agent via text), I waited on a long line for a Delta agent in the terminal and got on a 1:45 nonstop.

A save under the circumstances - but a period of great aggravation until I got those boarding passes.

Hope LA is kinder to you, though I think I read something negative on that end as well for the same reasons.

Yes Miami was a real mess to get off the ship, never been so happy on a cruise to have a 445PM flight in my life, and I was still a little stressed about it when we were standing in a non moving line starting at 10:00AM.

30 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Disembarkation in Miami turned into a fiasco.

The same can be said about our experience getting off the Sky in Miami last Spring.  It took us more than 90 minutes from the time we stepped onto the gangway until we cleared customs and immigration checks and were able to catch a taxi.  Most of that time was spent standing in one spot just after entering the terminal.  The line then started moving ever so slowly.  Just like @Sailing12Away we have Global Entry cards, but it made no difference at the Miami Cruise Terminal.  All roads lead to Rome, and everyone gets to wait in line.  After about the 80th minute in line, we had advanced far enough to see the point where the line split into four or five lines, one for each of the agents checking passports.  The truly frustrating thing was that as we got closer, we could see that one of the lines had signage indicating that it was an "express lane" for Global Entry passengers.  We moved to that line, but when we got to the agent, he said that Global Entry status makes no difference at the Port of Miami.  In short, expect a LONG wait at disembarkation in Miami if your cruise stops in Panama.  Ours was a round trip from Miami. I can only imagine the delays on a cruise from the West Coast to Miami with a stop in Panama.

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

The same can be said about our experience getting off the Sky in Miami last Spring.  It took us more than 90 minutes from the time we stepped onto the gangway until we cleared customs and immigration checks and were able to catch a taxi.  Most of that time was spent standing in one spot just after entering the terminal.  The line then started moving ever so slowly.  Just like @Sailing12Away we have Global Entry cards, but it made no difference at the Miami Cruise Terminal.  All roads lead to Rome, and everyone gets to wait in line.  After about the 80th minute in line, we had advanced far enough to see the point where the line split into four or five lines, one for each of the agents checking passports.  The truly frustrating thing was that as we got closer, we could see that one of the lines had signage indicating that it was an "express lane" for Global Entry passengers.  We moved to that line, but when we got to the agent, he said that Global Entry status makes no difference at the Port of Miami.  In short, expect a LONG wait at disembarkation in Miami if your cruise stops in Panama.  Ours was a round trip from Miami. I can only imagine the delays on a cruise from the West Coast to Miami with a stop in Panama.

Interesting point in that once we got to the baggage/customs area, the line moved fairly quickly through the agents. I think there were 4 or 5.

I heard through someone else that was aboard that police had been called to the customs area; speculation was that that is what put the long hold on exiting from the ship.

30 minutes ago, hallux said:

@cruiser2015 I'm in no rush to get off, my flight isn't until 7am Monday.  Yes, I'm well aware of your delays getting off the ship, I was at the terminal at 9 am

Ooh, that's a lot of slack time.

Enjoy the nicer weather for an extra day!

On 2/5/2024 at 4:41 PM, jimsig said:

As an FYI the current wait time for a Passport on average is very quick.  My sister got her kids passports for the first time and it took 21 days from the day they were sent until they received them.  

I just renewed mine and got it back today, only 18 days after I sent in the renewal.  

Others on social media have been reporting just as quick processing times.

Last summer/fall it was taking about 8 to 12 weeks with most getting theirs on the higher end.  But they have worked through the backlog.  

This tracks with what I'm hearing, too. They've dramatically decreased the processing times for passports. What a welcome change. My advice to OP is to inform the person without a passport to apply ASAP!

19 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Ooh, that's a lot of slack time.

Enjoy the nicer weather for an extra day!

My options were to book a flight at 1:30 for $300+ and they home at midnight, still needing to take Monday off from work, of book a hotel for $200 and fly home on Monday using points and get home around 6 pm

20 minutes ago, hallux said:

My options were to book a flight at 1:30 for $300+ and they home at midnight, still needing to take Monday off from work, of book a hotel for $200 and fly home on Monday using points and get home around 6 pm

Sounds like a wise choice.

I'm guessing that you are making a connecting flight somewhere.

I have the advantage of being a 20 minute drive from JFK.

11 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Yeah, BWI then on to ALB...

3 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Hi neighbor. If we're catching an early flight before the Belt is a nightmare we're from the front door of our house to the gate of the plane in about 40 mins using Uber/Lyft. Faster if we're not having a mile long hike at terminal 4.

We get spoiled with the flight options over here, have very rarely had to endure a 'bad' flight time.

2 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Hi neighbor. If we're catching an early flight before the Belt is a nightmare we're from the front door of our house to the gate of the plane in about 40 mins using Uber/Lyft. Faster if we're not having a mile long hike at terminal 4.

We get spoiled with the flight options over here, have very rarely had to endure a 'bad' flight time.

Greetings, neighbor.

That's might quick - to the gate. Got friends at TSA?

Four weeks ago we had an 8:15 to LAX from terminal 4.Took a local taxi and got there about 6 (5:30 departure). Easy check in but still had to wait a bit at security, on the pre-check line.

For the return from MIA, the gate was so far out, I wondered why we needed a plane at all.

19 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Greetings, neighbor.

That's might quick - to the gate. Got friends at TSA?

Four weeks ago we had an 8:15 to LAX from terminal 4.Took a local taxi and got there about 6 (5:30 departure). Easy check in but still had to wait a bit at security, on the pre-check line.

For the return from MIA, the gate was so far out, I wondered why we needed a plane at all.

TSA pre check & Global Entry are worth their weight in gold. The simple fact that I don't have to take laptops out, shoes off, belt off for hubby, etc - that alone is worth it to us. Our last trip we were flying on Thanksgiving, so gave ourselves a bit more time than normal just in case. Didn't need it, still through security as fast as I could walk through the Disney queue to get to it. 

For anyone who travels at least once a year, we always push friends and family to just get it. Took the air train to JFK for the in person interview, then an Uber back home. Lasts for 5 years, and for the renewal we didn't even have to go back for another interview, just submitted the request online and a week later had the new card in hand.

My credit card gives it to me for free, so it's $100 every 5 years for the 2 of us to save countless hours and headaches at the airports.

34 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

TSA pre check & Global Entry are worth their weight in gold. The simple fact that I don't have to take laptops out, shoes off, belt off for hubby, etc - that alone is worth it to us. Our last trip we were flying on Thanksgiving, so gave ourselves a bit more time than normal just in case. Didn't need it, still through security as fast as I could walk through the Disney queue to get to it. 

For anyone who travels at least once a year, we always push friends and family to just get it. Took the air train to JFK for the in person interview, then an Uber back home. Lasts for 5 years, and for the renewal we didn't even have to go back for another interview, just submitted the request online and a week later had the new card in hand.

My credit card gives it to me for free, so it's $100 every 5 years for the 2 of us to save countless hours and headaches at the airports.

I have an elevated card, but not THAT elevated - no freebies re TSA.

We have only the Precheck. Generally, we don't fly often but that has increased slightly in the last couple of years.

Ironically, we flew in first to LA, which gives you precheck automatically; also free luggage which i get from my Delta card anyway.

Unfortunately, my new belt set off the alarm on this last trip - both ways. In Miami, the agent said to just hand her the belt and walk back through. Quick enough.

For precheck, as you probably know, we did not have to go to JFK, just a security company in, I think, Hicksville.