Norway Weather In July

Cruising Norway in July for 12 nights on the Apex (Stavanger, Olden, Flam, Tromso, Honningsvag, Kristiansand, artic circle). Online weather says 50's and 60's F. Has anyone cruised Norway in July and what type of weather can we expect? What clothes to pack (jeans, sweatshirts, pullover sweaters, long underwear)? I assume layers, but how many layers. Take a jacket or coat?

14 minutes ago, Maryann9975 said:

Cruising Norway in July for 12 nights on the Apex (Stavanger, Olden, Flam, Tromso, Honningsvag, Kristiansand, artic circle). Online weather says 50's and 60's F. Has anyone cruised Norway in July and what type of weather can we expect? What clothes to pack (jeans, sweatshirts, pullover sweaters, long underwear)? I assume layers, but how many layers. Take a jacket or coat?

We have enjoyed beautiful weather with temps in the 60s and awful weather with fog, drizzle, and temps feeling like the 30s although it was probably in the 40s.  .  It certainly can be chilly and nasty when you get up to Honningsvag.  Layers are the way to go, as to the number, DW and I still cannot agree on that issue (I take more) even though we have been to Norway numerous times.  Some claim there is a rule which says that if you bring lots of layers and a warm coat it will be warm and gorgeous.  But fail to bring enough layers and it will likely be chilly, wet, nasty, damp, etc.

Hank

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Maryann9975 said:

I cruised almost those same ports in July. You don’t need long underwear. Layers. Take an all around jacket like an Arcteryx Atom LT hoodie. The weather varied between 60 and 80. The 80 was in the Arctic Circle at North Cape! (Honningsvag) You also need a rain shell. 

Edited by Charles4515

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Layers are the way to go, as to the number, DW and I still cannot agree on that issue

My layering system is fleece, Arcteryx Atom LT hoodie and a pouch rain jacket. They can all fit in my day pack. The day pack is important because as the weather changes I can have a place for adding and removing the layers. This system worked well for Norway, Iceland and Yellowstone.  

Last July we hit North Cape and continued up to Longyearbyen ... jeans and a fleece was sufficient but if it gets breezy a shell to cut the wind helped.

Back in July of 18 be did Bergen to North Cape and various points in between and it was a different story. Most of Europe and Scand' experienced a heat wave. It was 95f during the day in Bergen. North Cape was shorts and shirt sleeves .... NO PLACE had a/c so our nights in a hotel in Bergen and Oslo were miserable!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

Last July we hit North Cape and continued up to Longyearbyen ... jeans and a fleece was sufficient but if it gets breezy a shell to cut the wind helped.

Back in July of 18 be did Bergen to North Cape and various points in between and it was a different story. Most of Europe and Scand' experienced a heat wave. It was 95f during the day in Bergen. North Cape was shorts and shirt sleeves .... NO PLACE had a/c so our nights in a hotel in Bergen and Oslo were miserable!!!

We were swimming in the pool on the ship at North Cape. So cool in the pool inside the arctic circle. 

We live on the coast just across the North Sea from southern Norway ...not that dissimilar in latitude. Our two main weather forecasters ... the BBC and the Met Office can't even get it right on the day so forecasting months in advance is pure guesswork. Nearest low pressure area? Nearest high pressure area? What is the jet stream doing? Is the wind off the polar ice cap or up from the North Sea? 

I have sailed in the area many times and have had everything. Rain, fog, sun, gales, ice etc.

Hope for the best and plan for the worst🙂

• Like 1