Bahamas to tax private islands

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

After reading the draft guidance I'm no more clear on what happens with DBP or Diamond vouchers or even included food.  How are they going to price included food as billable item for VAT purposes.  I imagine with the drinks they just charge it out at the ship board price.  But even that seems ambiguous after reading that.

• Like 1

This looks like it covers drinks purchased on-island as part of a drink package (which is really the only new tax I can see), but I have no idea how they would determine the value of the complementary food.

IMG_0337.thumb.jpeg.6456ddb969a409989cb72097a5e19145.jpeg

Today is February 13th, let's read up on what the cruise industry's response is to that VAT tax in a few days. Myself, I believe it's a way to line the government's pockets. This isn't going to make cruisers happy getting charged more money even if the cruise lines add it to their fee "without notice" to every ship that stops in the Bahamas. Unfortunately there's very few ships that aren't stopping in the Bahamas unless they depart from San Juan.

1 hour ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Today is February 13th, let's read up on what the cruise industry's response is to that VAT tax in a few days. Myself, I believe it's a way to line the government's pockets. This isn't going to make cruisers happy getting charged more money even if the cruise lines add it to their fee "without notice" to every ship that stops in the Bahamas. Unfortunately there's very few ships that aren't stopping in the Bahamas unless they depart from San Juan.

Aren't all taxes a way for the government to line their pockets?

• Like 1

Something that shouldn't escape this topic of the Bahamian Government looking to implement the VAT tax. It's been a known fact that the US State Department has advised American's not to travel to Nassau ( and the islands of the Bahamas) due to the high crime rate that they feel American's and  others from different counties aren't being considered safe.The Bahamian Government should be doing more to protect tourists instead of imposing a tax . There, just about everywhere corruption and greed is everywhere.

1 hour ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Something that shouldn't escape this topic of the Bahamian Government looking to implement the VAT tax. It's been a known fact that the US State Department has advised American's not to travel to Nassau ( and the islands of the Bahamas) due to the high crime rate that they feel American's and  others from different counties aren't being considered safe.The Bahamian Government should be doing more to protect tourists instead of imposing a tax . There, just about everywhere corruption and greed is everywhere.

They have not advised Americans not to travel to Nassau. It's a level 2, "use increased caution" warning. Level 4 would be "Do not travel"

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/the-bahamas-travel-advisory.html

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Aren't all taxes a way for the government to line their pockets?

If the cruise lines are going to make boatloads of money in the Bahamas, I don't see why the Bahamian government and people shouldn't benefit from that too.

Edited by GimmeOcean

18 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

If the cruise lines are going to make boatloads of money in the Bahamas, I don't see why the Bahamian government and people shouldn't benefit from that too.

The cruise lines are already providing "boatloads" of money to the Bahamas (nearly 100 million dollars annually in port fees alone in Nassau).  This VAT will not trickle down to the people, and can very well lower the annual revenue historically provided to the citizens directly

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

Oh, not to worry...the Bohamian gov't will make plenty.  Nice pipe dream on the people benefiting too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

They have not advised Americans not to travel to Nassau. It's a level 2, "use increased caution" warning. Level 4 would be "Do not travel"

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/the-bahamas-travel-advisory.html

Ok I just verified the warnings from the State Dept from Nassau and Freeport. That's good enough for me. I'm sure others should keep in mind when leaving the port to "Exercise EXTREME caution. That's good enough for me.

Just now, bucfan2 said:

Oh, not to worry...the Bohamian gov't will make plenty.  Nice pipe dream on the people benefiting too.

You got that right, the average Bahamian wont see a penny to help them and their economy. 

• Like 1