Excursions in Skagway

Ber2048

What excursions has anyone taken in Skagway, or are planning to take. What was your opinion?

We will be there May 18, 2024. 

So many to choose from. White Pass Railroad only excursion. Yukon excursion, White Pass bus tour, etc. 

Cruise tour or book on your own?

I’m sure you can’t go wrong with whatever you choose, but would love to here your choices or experiences. 

I would do private and a combo excursion with this company:

https://chilkootcharters.com/yukon-rail-bus/

Bus and train are both worthy. At a certain point, they cover different paths, so it is the best of both worlds. Chilkoot uses smaller vans (than cruise line buses). I think their tour guides are better IMO.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I second Coral's recommendation. Have done the White Pass & Yukon Rail/Road combo before and are booked again with Chilkoot Charters for May 18 (the same day you will be there)! Are you on Zaandam? I booked the 0930 which is minivan first and rail down as this gives us a little extra time to disembark and wander Skagway if we wish before the tour.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for your reply. We will go with Chillkoot. We are looking at just the rail and bus tour. We are planning on the bus first that leaves at 8:30. We are on the Grand Princess. What month were you there last time? Hoping for nice weather. It probably will be chilly in May.  This is our first cruise to Alaska. Have a wonderful time. 
BL

49 minutes ago, Ber2048 said:

Thanks so much for your reply. We will go with Chillkoot. We are looking at just the rail and bus tour. We are planning on the bus first that leaves at 8:30. We are on the Grand Princess. What month were you there last time? Hoping for nice weather. It probably will be chilly in May.  This is our first cruise to Alaska. Have a wonderful time. 
BL

Previously we did this in August with Celebrity. I expect May will be cooler though with the significant climate changes here in Greater Vancouver the last few years, who knows what the weather will be like in May?!

• Like 1

I seem to be in Alaska mostly in May. One can expect any weather any month in Alaska but I have only had it cold in May one time. Most other times, just a light jacket or sweatshirt is fine, except for glacier days.

Last year I was in Alaska May 12-23rd. Weather was perfect. The next cruise was rainy. We had several on our cruise on B2B cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ber2048 said:

...... What month were you there last time? Hoping for nice weather. It probably will be chilly in May.  .....

I have been in southeast Alaska in May, June, July, August, September and even in October (on business -- not on vacation).  May tends to be a drier month but may not be as chilly as you anticipate.  But be prepared for wind in Skagway.  Skagway is located at the head of Taiya Inlet and the winds can just howl down the inlet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ber2048 said:

Thanks for the information. I guess we will wait to see what Mother Nature does. Glad to hear it is a drier month. 

Historically - May is the driest month of the summer. Every month after gets more rain (historically) with September and October having the most.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a great excursion, but Chilkoot is sold out on the day we will be in Skagway.  Any other operators do a similar thing with the train and bus?

• Like 1

I just booked with Chilkoot for May 18.  I guess we were lucky. I see that our cruise ship offers a train/bus tour, so there must be others. Maybe someone else will weigh in and suggest something. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kpjb said:

Sounds like a great excursion, but Chilkoot is sold out on the day we will be in Skagway.  Any other operators do a similar thing with the train and bus?

Which tour and which date? They have multiple tours. Have you tried emailing or calling them?

When I was there in May last year, the Bennett Scenery journey was not available as it was too early in the season.

---

I just looked at their website and I did see they are sold out certain days. They do offer other tours such as a bus (van) all day. See if the cruise line does a combo tour.

Edited by Coral

I was looking at the combo tour that you posted above.  On the day we're going, we dock too late to get the early tour, and the later one only has two spots available for our family of four.

I'm sure that the cruise line will offer their own similar excursion, but this one seemed to get good reviews.

10 hours ago, kpjb said:

I was looking at the combo tour that you posted above.  On the day we're going, we dock too late to get the early tour, and the later one only has two spots available for our family of four.

I'm sure that the cruise line will offer their own similar excursion, but this one seemed to get good reviews.

Good luck. Chilkoot does do a good job. You may want to see if you can get on a wait list with them.