Snobs and whatnot....

Danno

From time to time I notice words that creep into some threads that are used to describe X clientel...I've decided to take them as compliments :D .

Dull...people who read, converse quietly, find enjoyment in their partners company and don't have to yell, scream and over-drink to find a cruise (or any other activity) enjoyable.

Snob...one who has found joy in good food, knows good wine from bad and dresses as requested for events such as dinner. A person who has manners, and uses them.

Boring...people who are simply not demonstrative in their actions. I'm a guest on this cruise, not the entertainment. I really don't think people around me want to see me making an a$$ of myself....only Jill sees that ;) .

Old....I'm 46, am I old?? I started cruising X at 31, was I old then??

In conclusion, I am an OLD, BORING, DULL, SNOB....and I couldn't be happier with my life. Enjoy what this line offers and let them know that it's what we want, if it disappears we'll miss it A LOT!!!

I'm 41, and started cruising X at 39. I usually bring my mom (in her 60's), but one time I convinced my husband (who is 8 years younger than me) to come along. All three of us are dull, boring, old snobs!!

From time to time I notice words that creep into some threads that are used to describe X clientel...I've decided to take them as compliments :D .

Dull...people who read, converse quietly, find enjoyment in their partners company and don't have to yell, scream and over-drink to find a cruise (or any other activity) enjoyable.

Snob...one who has found joy in good food, knows good wine from bad and dresses as requested for events such as dinner. A person who has manners, and uses them.

Boring...people who are simply not demonstrative in their actions. I'm a guest on this cruise, not the entertainment. I really don't think people around me want to see me making an a$$ of myself....only Jill sees that ;) .

Old....I'm 46, am I old?? I started cruising X at 31, was I old then??

In conclusion, I am an OLD, BORING, DULL, SNOB....and I couldn't be happier with my life. Enjoy what this line offers and let them know that it's what we want, if it disappears we'll miss it A LOT!!!

By your definitions, my husband and I are old, boring, dull, snobs, and proud of it :)

By your definitions, my husband and I are old, boring, dull, snobs, and proud of it :)

You can add my husband and me to your list of old, boring, dull, and snobs who will be cruising with Celebrity. :cool:

Dancermom5:)

Why don't you call yourselves, Boring, Old, Dull Snobs.....BODS????

On the 8 or so Celebrity Cruises we have taken, we have seen ALL kinds. The good thing about such a large venue is that you can always find some people with interests similar to yours.

Cunard and HAL - Old money

Celebrity - New money

CCL - Very little money but trying to play with the big dogs

About 10 years ago I took a Princess cruise, and my agent said back then that HAL was old money, and Princess was new money.

Maybe my perspective is skewed, but I don't see any of the "majors" as being particularly "monied" one way or another. If we want to start comparing veaux riche versus nouveax riche, I think we have to start looking at the luxury lines like Crystal, Sea Dream, Seabourne, etc. ;) Like, maybe Cunard and Hapag-Lloyd would be old money, and Oceania and Radisson (or whatever they are calling themselves now) would be new money.

(Please don't get upset anyone, I'm saying this all in a lighthearted and fun way!)

I see the more traditional majors, like HAL and X, being "excellent price/performance value for us BODS," and RCCL and CCL being more about bringing crusing to everyone -- sort of like Southwest Airlines and their "you are now free to move about the country" campaign that stressed practicality and low fares for all.

Dan, I just turned 48 this past Saturday....I must be in the

"OLD" range now.

Who was talking about X being new money?:eek: I am not in that

category.....I am actually under the "works hard for her money" category.

It is not old that is for sure...but I would not call it new money.

Unless you call "PayDay" new money;):)

hdawson, I bet the other boards have already done something

like this before.

You must admit, there are loyalists on every cruiseline!

Dan:D good food, good wine, good company...having manners?

I am there!!!

One of the first questions, I got when I went back into work (just got off Century), after the obligatory "Did you have a good time?", was "Were you the youngest couple there?" Now, I don't consider late 30's "young", so I think the question was kind of silly. When I answered no, the follow up question was normally along the lines of "What did you do, didn't you get bored?" I've decided that it's just a difference in perspective. I'm with Danno on this, I enjoy being dull, boring, "old", and snobbish if it means I get to go on great cruises like this. :D

Having been a long time reader of postings on most of the various lines, here is how I would rank the various lines.

Cunard and HAL - Old money

Celebrity - New money

CCL - Very little money but trying to play with the big dogs

I think this is where the "snob" label is coming from. Some of you X'ers seem to think that since you're older and have more money that you're superior (the "big dogs") to the rest of us who are just getting started in our careers, but still want to experience the fun of a cruise.

Roz, I swear, when I made up the name "BODS". I thought of you and I thought....no way! You are far too much fun!!!

Am I a BOD? I hope not. I don't like the sound of it! We are not drinkers ( a little wine or fake champagne (couldn't resist!!) here and there. We like to play bridge and read...we really are GETTING OLD (shhh). I hope we are not boring or dull. A snob? At heart, maybe a little...but very liberal snobs!!!!! We like "good food". But one person's definition of "good" food may be different from another. I like a good wine, but in restaurants we always order the table wine. I say if it doesn't taste great at first, it gets better with every sip!!

In today's free and democratic society, you will find old and/or new money on any cruiseline including Carnival. However, on the "popular" lines (in which I include Celebrity), my guess is that the majority of Pax are very average people. I know some like to glamorize Celebrity but in reality I think most of the people are working-middle class. I may be wrong, but that has been my impression to date.

An aside to you, Roz. On the Galaxy we were given a bottle of wine. When I asked at the front desk if we could have it in the dining room, they said sure...and when I asked if we would be charged corkage, they said of course not. (maybe not those very words)...so methinks you were dealing with a PILL! Should have given him/her a glass of the stuff as a tip!!!!!

Darci, you missed the whole point.....superior? NO.....knowing

what we like and dislike? Yes.

Dan didn't start this thread as an attack on anyone. He was trying

to point out as returning Celebrity cruisers, what our preferences

are:)

Now, as for the post SongandDance wrote, I don't know them,

and am guessing it is their opinion of what makes up HAL, X and

Carnival.

Darci, you missed the whole point.....superior? NO.....knowing

what we like and dislike? Yes.

Dan didn't start this thread as an attack on anyone. He was trying

to point out as returning Celebrity cruisers, what our preferences

are:)

Now, as for the post SongandDance wrote, I don't know them,

and am guessing it is their opinion of what makes up HAL, X and

Carnival.

No, I think you missed my point. I have absolutely no problem with Danno's post. It was the comment about CCL cruisers having "Very little money but trying to play with the big dogs" that got my attention. I was simply trying to point out that a comment like this only reinforces why many who have no experience with Celebrity think of Celebrity cruisers as "snobs."

Thanks for your clarification.:) The internet can be quite funky

sometimes:eek:

As I said, I don't know songanddance so I don't know what the

motivation was for their post.

Whatever, there will be those who always think X is for snobs,

just as there are those who always think Carnival is for

drunks.

Not saying it is right...just saying it is.

Thanks for your clarification.:) The internet can be quite funky

sometimes:eek:

As I said, I don't know songanddance so I don't know what the

motivation was for their post.

Whatever, there will be those who always think X is for snobs,

just as there are those who always think Carnival is for

drunks.

Not saying it is right...just saying it is.

So true! It's a good thing there are a lot of cruise companies to choose from so both the BODS and the destitute, drunk partiers can each have a cruise they'll enjoy! :)

No, I think you missed my point. I have absolutely no problem with Danno's post. It was the comment about CCL cruisers having "Very little money but trying to play with the big dogs" that got my attention. I was simply trying to point out that a comment like this only reinforces why many who have no experience with Celebrity think of Celebrity cruisers as "snobs."

Couldn't agree more, the reference to Carnival and the folks who sail that line having very little money is about as snobbish as it gets, besides, very possibly untrue.

Phil

Hi Arlene - me a fun person? No no no!! I am an uptight nice little old English lady.

Actually, I like the "medium" cruise lines, which have such a good mix of society. I dont really think money comes into it. Many people like the superb entertainment on the large mass-market ships, which is why Celebrity has Concierge Class - for those who like the luxury extras but want the big ship experience!!

Go on some of the premium cruise lines and although there are the wealthy, many are there to mix with the wealthy!! The Hyacinth Buckets of this world!!!! Personally, I find these ships a bit boring - many go to bed at 9.30pm and the ships are not too lively at night - understatement!!!

Oh ho - you have been reading my thread "champagne - NOT"!!!! Actually, what really riled me (and probably the Smith family originally) was the attitude of the person at RCCL!!!! Unbelievably bad at PR and customer relations!!! Should be cleaning the bilges not speaking to customers!!! So sue me Miss!!!! We had eaten upstairs all week - left above the suggested tip and despite the champers problem, Mum insisted I tip the maitre d'!!!!! Stupid English us!!!!! The wine waiter consulted the Maitre d' and then a manager. The person at Celebrity insisted that this was policy!! So there you have it. You have paid for champagne, received sparkling wine and we will charge you $15 to drink it!!!!! We have booked two more cruises, but not Concierge Class - that wasn't done properly.

We had a lovely cruise - very enjoyable - but stupid rules on board leave a bitter taste in the mouth - equal to their yucky wine - sorry, champagne!!!

Hope you are no longer snowed in - love to Peter and your family!!!

You know, I think Hyacinth is still on TV!!! We used to watch every week.... and LAUGH!!!

Peter still refers to her Riparian picnic (with her good silverware, I suppose!)

As for the snow...there were flurries this morning! The grass (or, rather, the yuck, is peeking through around the edges of the lawn. The walks and roads are clear. Can't wait for spring. Officially, it is, but...alas..not here!

I have never tried Concierge and don't expect to in the near future. We usually book INSIDE!!! And...we don't mind it one bit! Although I don't think we'd object to the better mattresses and pillows in concierge.

I just scrolled down....and there was Leesea...how are you? It's been ages.

I like your play on words.

I always say...we are not nouveau riche, we are encore pauvre (still poor!). As long as we stay healthy and can take vacations...who cares??? Are you doing the Med or the Transatlantic? One day we will do a T.A.

I am still thinking of Hyacinthe, with her candellight dinners, and her fine bone china teacups (shaking like a luluv in her neighbours saucer!!)

********the reference to Carnival and the folks who sail that line having very little money is about as snobbish as it gets, besides, very possibly untrue.*********

Couldn't agree more. These classifications seem to equate to being the most problematic and end up stirring the pot for no real good reason.

Archived