Snobs and whatnot....

Danno

From time to time I notice words that creep into some threads that are used to describe X clientel...I've decided to take them as compliments :D .

Dull...people who read, converse quietly, find enjoyment in their partners company and don't have to yell, scream and over-drink to find a cruise (or any other activity) enjoyable.

Snob...one who has found joy in good food, knows good wine from bad and dresses as requested for events such as dinner. A person who has manners, and uses them.

Boring...people who are simply not demonstrative in their actions. I'm a guest on this cruise, not the entertainment. I really don't think people around me want to see me making an a$$ of myself....only Jill sees that ;) .

Old....I'm 46, am I old?? I started cruising X at 31, was I old then??

In conclusion, I am an OLD, BORING, DULL, SNOB....and I couldn't be happier with my life. Enjoy what this line offers and let them know that it's what we want, if it disappears we'll miss it A LOT!!!

You can count me in, too, then :p

We have never cruised yet, but had always thought when we cruise it would be with Celebrity, HAL, or Princess.

(Un)Forunately, due to a family celebration, our first cruise will be with Carnival Valor! We have made up our minds that we will make the best of the situation, and have fun :p

If you see us debarking on Nassau, St.Thomas or Sint.Maarten... we'll be the well dressed ones amongst all the (to quote another poster):"T-shirts" :p

You can count me in, too, then :p

We have never cruised yet, but had always thought when we cruise it would be with Celebrity, HAL, or Princess.

(Un)Forunately, due to a family celebration, our first cruise will be with Carnival Valor! We have made up our minds that we will make the best of the situation, and have fun :p

If you see us debarking on Nassau, St.Thomas or Sint.Maarten... we'll be the well dressed ones amongst all the (to quote another poster):"T-shirts" :p

Don't believe everything you hear. You will be on a newer Carnival ship, with lots of activities, lots of amenities and, as you will see when you read reports from lots of cruisers who have done both X and CCL, decent food.

BTW, just finished our 8th X cruise, doing #9 next month and I can't ever remember getting off an X ship in a hot port of call in anything but a comfortable T-shirt and shorts (as were about 75% of the X passengers).

Poor Richard!!!:D He always had to go to her Intimate Candlelight Suppers..;)

I love when she answers the phone and its someone trying to call the Chinese restaurant which (to her extreme dismay:)) is one number off from hers.

"I am sorry this is a private princess wall phone in off white with no Oriental affiliation what so ever" *LOL*

Tropicalgal,

I have been on The Valor as well as The Conquest. Two of the newest and largest carnival ships. We had a great time and they are beautiful ships. I think you will have a great time.

They have a great many activities and plenty to do. You will see people of all ages having a great time. The larger (or Conquest Class) ships are not the "Party boats" that the older and smaller ships that do the 3 and 4 dayers are. But there will still be plenty of good times to be had

Enjoy!!!!!! :)

Because somehow everyone seems to misunderstand each other. To answer the question from one person above, I did not mean "poor" as far as much goes. I don't care how much money anyone has. What I meant is that people need to respect each other's space and the fact that there vacation means a lot to them, so we should all think about how our actions affect each other. I read earlier about a group of people who were so loud and even caused fights. This is not acceptable (anywhere) and affects too many people.

... there, I have had my say! hehe

Don't believe everything you hear. You will be on a newer Carnival ship, with lots of activities, lots of amenities and, as you will see when you read reports from lots of cruisers who have done both X and CCL, decent food.

BTW, just finished our 8th X cruise, doing #9 next month and I can't ever remember getting off an X ship in a hot port of call in anything but a comfortable T-shirt and shorts (as were about 75% of the X passengers).

Well, that's a relief :p

I have no experience, except what I've read on these boards. What I've gleaned, from responses on these forums, has not looked good, due to the extreme animosity from the same cruisers that frequent the Carnival line...

There seems to be some resentment to those who prefer some "class and refinement"... and that scared me :o

I like being treated like a "guest", I also like a lot of the OP's list of things that X does over "C"... but I definitely do not want to see towel animals... please leave my towels alone, thank you :p :p :p

Tropicalgal,

I have been on The Valor as well as The Conquest. Two of the newest and largest carnival ships. We had a great time and they are beautiful ships. I think you will have a great time.

They have a great many activities and plenty to do. You will see people of all ages having a great time. The larger (or Conquest Class) ships are not the "Party boats" that the older and smaller ships that do the 3 and 4 dayers are. But there will still be plenty of good times to be had

Enjoy!!!!!! :)

Well, thank you so much for the reassurance :p

We are looking forward to this cruise and our "family time"

Ciao :p :p :p

but I definitely do not want to see towel animals... please leave my towels alone, thank you :p :p :p

Tropicalgal,

You don't like towel animals? :eek: You need to get out more. Live a little. Experience new things. :)

Tropicalgal,

You don't like towel animals? :eek: You need to get out more. Live a little. Experience new things. :)

How "Far out" do I need to go ?

The Netherlands 1983

Venice, Fla 87 90 92 94 96 02

Disney, Fla 75 97

LA, Monterrey, Carmel & San Francisco 1997

Myrtle Beach 1998

Almond Beach Village Barbados 1999

KeyWest Hilton 2000

Paradisus Cozumel 2001

Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Trebon CZ 2005

Vienna, Austria 2005

Dresden Meissen E.Germany 2005

Paradisus RdO 03 04 05 06

Valor Carnival (Miami, Nassau, St.Thomas & St.Maarten) 06

England, France, Spain & Italy 07 + 08

:o :o :o

I prefer Celebrity (at this point)' date=' but not because Celebrity makes me feel like I'm wealthy or superior. If you have self-respect, you are going to feel great about yourself in any situation.

I prefer Celebrity for the things they offer that I haven't found on other cruise lines. Things such as the fabulous Martini Bar on the M-class ships (although RCCL's Schooner Bars are also very nice), the martini tastings on the first night, the Sushi Bar, the Thalassotherapy pools (free on M-class), the layout of the ships, the lower passenger-to crew ratio and passenger-to-tonnage ratio compared to many of the other ships, the complimentary sorbet in the public areas in the afternoon, the complimentary gourmet bites in the public areas at midnight, the cold towels awaiting on the dock after a hot day in port, the amazing Specialty restaurants on the M-class ships, the creative and often quirky artwork and sculptures on the ships, the outstanding pool bands, the consistently good service and dining room food, the far fewer public announcements, and the passengers who make possibly a more conscious effort to honor the cruise line's requests and its dress code.

Since I pay the same or less for my Celebrity cruises as I do for those on other lines (except SeaDream, of course) I don't see any of these things I prefer as being snobbish or showing that I have money (which I don't... I'm retired and on social security :cool: ) but they are all Celebrity offerings which make me enjoy my cruise more, and isn't that what we're all looking for, regardless of our social background or, in my case, lack of it? :eek:

Allen[/quote']

This is exactly my sentiment as well. I have sailed Carnival and while it was a decent time I personally have no interest in the hairy chest contest, towel animals, announcments, etc. It's not snobbery, it choice and I have the option of choosing a cruiseline without it. Someone said earlier that they just "ignore what they don't like". Well, I go on vacation to have a wonderful time, relax and enjoy the surroundings. Yes, the occasional person or event may occur that is disruptive but I can ignore the exception. But when it is the rule and I find that I am making more compromises than necessary, obviously I have not chosen my vacation wisely. It's not about one line being better than another, its about finding what fits for you, personally and no one else can tell you what that is. Isn't that what these cruiselines have based all of their market dollars on? Finding a market and filling the desires of that group? They can't be everything to everyone.

For the X_SNOBS or BODS:

This test is for you:

http://www.queendom.com/tests/minitests/fx/snob.html

Thanks C 2 C. It was great to have you show my DW and me the pictures of St. Petersburg. I hope your next cruise was just as pleasurable.

ROFTL................yes we must be BODS!!! I failed the snob test!

We have too much fun, as you know, on these cruises to be too

snobbish!:D

Rick

Thanks C 2 C. I hope your next cruise was just as pleasurable.

Hi Rick

It was another great cruise, smooth seas etc. One unfortunate passenger fractured her hip on the dance floor when she moved but her shoe did not. She wound up in much pain for two days prior to going to hospital in San Diego.

The recent Mercury trips have been vey sick.. the Norwalk has affected several voyages now.

I hope you enjoy the crossing and the Baltic.

Oh no!!! Am I one of those lower class folks? I entered the belly flop contest...as the only woman ever.....and won!!! Mostly because my belly was bigger than anyone on the ship!!!! BTW...Babylene....that belly is GONE!!!! The November cruise I booked is the transatlantic, going with my sister from Ca. I'll be a BOD on this cruise!!! Except I don't know good wine(box-o-wine doesn't count eh?) LOL

From Drew B

Quote: ... I don't understand why anybody would feel Threatened

just because somebody else prefers a different cruise line...

Hi Drew B, maybe such people take the denotation and meaning

of the word literally:

Definition: "Critic"

1. a person who finds fault with something.

2. a person who assesses literary or artistic

works.

Whereas, here, the connotation of the word seems to hold other

and all different meanings.

Some people can be happy only when others are miserable. I love to cruise when everyone back home is freezing and plowing snow in February. There is even a word for it and it might explain why some people are happy only when others suffer:

schadenfreude \SHOD-n-froy-duh\, noun:

A malicious satisfaction obtained from the misfortunes of others.

Having been a long time reader of postings on most of the various lines, here is how I would rank the various lines.

Cunard and HAL - Old money

Celebrity - New money

CCL - Very little money but trying to play with the big dogs

We are in our early 30s and are thinking about sailing with X. Heard good things about them and besides we don't think you all are BODS. This classification is somewhat perplexing though. Celebrity is new money? Are you kidding me? About CCL, if this message ever gets to CCL board, LOL, all H*@!$ will break loose over there.

Any, we will book Celebrity in the future.

This is total madness!! On these large ships you get all types!! That's what's so nice!! When I first cruised it was first and second class - now it is 'all in together'!! Not literally of course!!!

We happen to like the Constellation - but again, you get all types on board!! As someone said recently on a thread, they have no problem with the cruise lines - its just the passengers who are a problem!!!

Nouveau riche is relative - in America you are all nouveaus compared to old money in Europe, which goes back 500 years!!!! Now those families are usually very snobbish!! But they have their own yachts!!!

You will always find people who give themselves airs and graces - ignore them!!!!

Funny you should mention that as I just recently compiled this little Top 10 list based on my experience on the Carnival board:

Top 10 Reasons That Negative Reviews are Invalidated

-OP is too angry

-OP is too picky

-OP is too snobby

-OP is too subjective

-OP is too vague

-OP had too high expectations

-OP was expecting the worst

-OP has too few previous posts

-OP does not suggest solutions to problems

-someone else on the same cruise did not have the same problem(s)

-and my all time favourite: OP should have just ignored the problem(s)

Top 10 Reasons That POSITIVE Reviews are Invalidated:

(none)

:D

I observed the same thing, unfornately. If you are not having a good cruise, it is your own fault, not the cruiseline but this is true in the minisculest term, no one ever go on a cruise to look for trouble/issue to incite, we all paid a lot of money to have a nice time. I see CCL board the most negative with so many OP flame others OP. I have drawn the conclusions that Carnival crowd is not for me and I mean no disrespect to any CCL passengers, it is just my preference not to be with so many people like that which bring me to X to learn more about X sailing.

Archived