Just off the Epic, boy has the food gone downhill!

On 2/13/2024 at 12:14 AM, UKstages said:

recession, reschmession.

there is no recession in sight. the economy is strong.

this will only change when people vote with their wallets and say "no mas." they've had enough... the product no longer resembles anything like what it once was. when they decide to stay home with a good book, some take out Chinese food and a pint of ice cream.

as long as we continue to travel with after these cuts have been made, we are giving NCL (and other cruise lines) permission to continue to make cuts and destroy the product.

Err.... a few countries are now officially in recession.

UK included.

So yes, there will be cost cutting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brad0576 said:

So in talking with a few bartenders this is a matter of contention with the current Epic staff - ultimately cruising the Mediterranean is fairly easy because the majority of they days are port days - so the crew gets more time off of the ship and has to work less - since the ship was repositioned they feel “this is not what we signed up for” and it appears many are working with a chip on their shoulders - mainly those that are newer to the job from what I can tell.  

I call horse bullocks on that. My upcoming 7 day trip next week only has 2 sea days, and the meditteranean one we did years ago had 1. So one extra day at sea when most passengers just plop by the pool is making them that bitter?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rapister said:

UK included.

the poster (that would be me) is from the united states. there is no recession in the USA.

NCL is  an american company (incorporated in bermuda) and headquartered in miami.

north america is the leading source region for the global cruise market and most north american cruise passengers come from the USA, which remains the largest global cruise market (based on revenue).

again, both the poster (hello!) and the company under discussion are based in the USA.

"cost cutting" is an accepted fact and was never in dispute, so it's odd to see it here as a contrary conclusion.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

I call horse bullocks on that. My upcoming 7 day trip next week only has 2 sea days, and the meditteranean one we did years ago had 1. So one extra day at sea when most passengers just plop by the pool is making them that bitter?

Our stay in st Thomas was 6am-1pm, the other two ports were also half-day stays….. it seems most European itineraries are for the majority of the day 

On 2/12/2024 at 11:03 AM, love4god said:

Just curious, I wonder how much food changes from ship to ship on the same cruise line. I'm sure they're all being supplied the same bulk ingredients at the same quality level across the line.  However, does one ship have a better executive chef or staff than the others?  Or, is it like a chain restaurant where so much is mass/factory kitchen produced and delivered that it's basically the same.

We're at NCL platinum, so quite a few cruises. We've found that food quality is mostly crew-dependent, though of course prices forcing lower cost items will make a difference too. But it really does depend on the experience and abilities of the chefs and kitchen staff.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:05 AM, rapister said:

UK included.

US currently has the strongest economy in the world. Personally, I think it's because of the new Infrastructure projects keeping industries busy. Biden taking a page out of the Depression's Works Progress Association (WPA) to keep things moving.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 5:14 PM, ready2cruzagain said:

We sailed on the Epic last month for 3 weeks. We both can't believe the decline in the food on the Epic. We usually gain at least 7 lbs each on a 3 week cruise, we both lost a couple of pounds. I understand that food is subjective but the cuts and types of meats offered was shocking. Below is a few examples:

La Bistro - fillet was so tough you could not even chew it, portions seem to be half the size, I have never seen pureed Pasta Fagioli soup but it sure was pureed with 2 macaroni noodles (tasted and looked like white bean soup with 2 macaroni noodles floating in it)!

Moderno - meats were tough, hard to get someone to come to the table with meat, lamb chops is now lamb sirloin and it was very fatty and had a really bad wild smell, the sausage was the size of cocktail sausages and burned (no longer the large sausage that you would put on a bun), etc. We had booked Moderno's twice but cancelled the second booking since it was so bad the first time.

Shanghai's - portions were about half the size they use to be. 

Main Dining Room - I must say the menu's were really bad. I understand the menus repeat each week but out of 7 days, the main items were turkey twice, brats twice and pork several times. The New York Strip on the classic menu had a good taste but too tough to chew. We ordered pasta several times for it to be really dry and not much sauce on it. They use to serve Swordfish, Cod, Grouper, or trout. The fish they offered this time was Coalfish (Pollock), Tilapia, Hake, Flounder. They did have Red Snapper in an Asian Dish but there was one 1 inch square piece of Snapper and no more fish!

O'Sheehan's - not a fan of the wings anymore. They were so soggy! We use to eat them all the time, not this time. 

Just a question, do all the ships puree every soup? Every soup on the Epic was pureed, corn chowder, bean soup, pasta fagioli, even the French Onion soup had no onion in it, just broth.

Cagney's, La Cucina and Teppanyaki's were the best. We don't eat rice and asked for Udon noodles at Teppanyaki's and they were awesome!

Don't get me wrong, we didn't starve but was shocked at the decline in the food quality. We have the Jewel booked next, hoping it is better than the Epic. Will probably be going back to MSC after that if the food remains as bad as it was on the Epic.

Otherwise had a great 3 weeks!

Food displeasure. Over 100 posts. As you said "I understand that food is subjective " and it most certainly is. (although the topic more often than not wanders into many other directions LOL)

Your dislike of the meat at Moderno is too bad and when this displeasure was mentioned to the server, their response was??

Portion size is often determined by what goes back to the kitchen. If plates go back with food on them and no complaints by the customers,they adjust. Why waste food? Also, if you wanted more, you could have asked and would have gotten more.

The Main Dining Rooms "the menu's were really bad". Well, in our most recent 15 day cruise, the MDR menus had Apps on the right side, Regular everyday items (chicken, pastas, vegetarian and salad) on right side also.The left side were the days specials (including a variety of fish. Types depended on what part of the world you are in) along with a box where you could order something from the specialty restaurants (for an extra fee).

O'Sheehan's (or whatever they call it on other ships) is a pub with pub food. Snacks and light meals. Some good, some average and some not so good. The hot dogs at Locals on the Bliss were not great so we never ordered then again but we went back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending the food, or disparaging the OP but, as they said, food is one of the most debated things on cruise ships. I will say that if you cannot find any food onboard that is satisfying, you must be a gourmand and/or spectacular cook at home. I also would like to know what was expected. 😉

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Portion size is often determined by what goes back to the kitchen.

not on NCL. (or most chain or franchised restaurants.)

portion size is determined by a very precise description in a manual and an accompanying photo of what the plated entree is supposed to look like. often, meat or fish entrees come prepackaged and pre-weighed. for appetizers, the exact number of ravioli is specified in the manual, as are the number of spring rolls and pot stickers and so forth.

as for food returned to the kitchen... enlightened and progressive kitchens do actually look at this. some use cameras and AI software. but it's not necessarily to adjust portion size or reduce food waste. it can also be used to determine popularity of the dishes and whether chefs are creating food that people crave. it is not believed that NCL is running progressive or enlightened kitchens.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UKstages said:

portion size is determined by a very precise description in a manual and an accompanying photo of what the plated entree is supposed to look like. often, meat or fish entrees come prepackaged and pre-weighed. for appetizers, the exact number of ravioli is specified in the manual, as are the number of spring rolls and pot stickers and so forth.

And still, if NCL finds out that the plates are going back with food on them they know that they can reduce the portion size. Cause either the portion size is too big or the food didn`t taste good. If it didn`t taste good then NCL will find out because this specific dish will be ordered less and less over time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, UKstages said:

not on NCL. (or most chain or franchised restaurants.)

as for food returned to the kitchen... enlightened and progressive kitchens do actually look at this. some use cameras and AI software. but it's not necessarily to adjust portion size or reduce food waste. it can also be used to determine popularity of the dishes and whether chefs are creating food that people crave. it is not believed that NCL is running progressive or enlightened kitchens.

100% correct. All is plated and photographed, primarily for the food service people and staff and consistency.

Thing is though, the plating is changed as required. If plates come back half eaten, then adjustments are made. This is normal for the industry

This is done in all kitchens and especially large service kitchens and within corporations to cut expenses and costs. So, going from 5 to 4 ravioli or 3 to 2  spring rolls. Or steaks or meats going from 6 or 5 to 4 ounces. Just think of the savings if feeding 4000 people.

Nothing progressive or enlightened, this has been done long before cameras and AI. It is common practice in the food service industry. And NCL wants to save every penny it can and food is a great place to do it.

Edited by pete_coach

2 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

And still, if NCL finds out that the plates are going back with food on them they know that they can reduce the portion size. Cause either the portion size is too big or the food didn`t taste good. If it didn`t taste good then NCL will find out because this specific dish will be ordered less and less over time.

doubtful.

that's simply not the way it works.

people could get fired if they don't follow the manual and if the finished product doesn't resemble the photo(s). yes, really. the reason they have the manual and the product photos is so people don't "improve" the dish. they can't arbitrarily reduce the portion size.

nobody on the frontline has the authority to do that, so when you say "NCL" can change course, yes, at the executive chef or corporate level. but they are not monitoring food left on plates making real time corrections. they just aren't.

as for the food not tasting good, that is indeed done with real time communication, often with returned product. that's not "food left on plates." that's very different. this is an entire dish returned with only a bite or two taken. they can't rely on dishes being ordered less and less over time, because the dish may not repeat within the same cruise (depending on length) and somebody who cruises six months later or a year later has no recollection of which dishes to avoid. (it's not memorable and doesn't have the impact of the death of a parent... it's just an easily forgettable eggplant parm.)

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Food displeasure. Over 100 posts. As you said "I understand that food is subjective " and it most certainly is. (although the topic more often than not wanders into many other directions LOL)

Your dislike of the meat at Moderno is too bad and when this displeasure was mentioned to the server, their response was??

Portion size is often determined by what goes back to the kitchen. If plates go back with food on them and no complaints by the customers,they adjust. Why waste food? Also, if you wanted more, you could have asked and would have gotten more.

The Main Dining Rooms "the menu's were really bad". Well, in our most recent 15 day cruise, the MDR menus had Apps on the right side, Regular everyday items (chicken, pastas, vegetarian and salad) on right side also.The left side were the days specials (including a variety of fish. Types depended on what part of the world you are in) along with a box where you could order something from the specialty restaurants (for an extra fee).

O'Sheehan's (or whatever they call it on other ships) is a pub with pub food. Snacks and light meals. Some good, some average and some not so good. The hot dogs at Locals on the Bliss were not great so we never ordered then again but we went back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending the food, or disparaging the OP but, as they said, food is one of the most debated things on cruise ships. I will say that if you cannot find any food onboard that is satisfying, you must be a gourmand and/or spectacular cook at home. I also would like to know what was expected. 😉

You quoted my post, but did you read it??? I did not state in that posting that I talked to the waiter, personally I do not think a waiter has anything to do with taste.  I did post later that I talked to the maitre 'd and he stated that they quit using "herbs" because people complained about them. 

When I stated portion were small that was for Shanghai's and yes I could have ordered more but then I would have been waiting another 40 minutes to get more food.

The main menus were bad compared to the last time I was on NCL right at the Pandemic. The Everyday menu I did discuss, the New York strip was super tough even though it had a good taste, the rest of the everyday menu was not very appealing, it remained the same every day, breaded flounder, grilled chicken (very dry and tough), baked ziti which I ate several times, pork loin (this is one of the things I was talking about, pork is a very cheap cut of meat and NCL is serving it two and three dishes a night. The fish consisted of cheap fish, you can no longer get swordfish, grouper, red snapper on the menu, instead they are replace with pollack, swai, tilappia.  And no thank you, I am not paying $20 extra for something from the specialty restaurants when their food the nights I went were disappointing.

If you would go back and read my quote I stated that we did not starve. "Don't get me wrong, we didn't starve but was shocked at the decline in the food quality." I posted due to the decline in the food offered due to herbs no longer being used and the quality of the food itself. I am not a new cruiser (59 cruises) so I know when food goes down hill.  NCL Epic's food was totally different than what we have ever gotten in quality and taste from NCL in the past.  This is a forum so stated my thoughts.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

You quoted my post, but did you read it??? I did not state in that posting that I talked to the waiter, personally I do not think a waiter has anything to do with taste.  I did post later that I talked to the maitre 'd and he stated that they quit using "herbs" because people complained about them. 

When I stated portion were small that was for Shanghai's and yes I could have ordered more but then I would have been waiting another 40 minutes to get more food.

The main menus were bad compared to the last time I was on NCL right at the Pandemic. The Everyday menu I did discuss, the New York strip was super tough even though it had a good taste, the rest of the everyday menu was not very appealing, it remained the same every day, breaded flounder, grilled chicken (very dry and tough), baked ziti which I ate several times, pork loin (this is one of the things I was talking about, pork is a very cheap cut of meat and NCL is serving it two and three dishes a night. The fish consisted of cheap fish, you can no longer get swordfish, grouper, red snapper on the menu, instead they are replace with pollack, swai, tilappia.  And no thank you, I am not paying $20 extra for something from the specialty restaurants when their food the nights I went were disappointing.

If you would go back and read my quote I stated that we did not starve. "Don't get me wrong, we didn't starve but was shocked at the decline in the food quality." I posted due to the decline in the food offered due to herbs no longer being used and the quality of the food itself. I am not a new cruiser (59 cruises) so I know when food goes down hill.  NCL Epic's food was totally different than what we have ever gotten in quality and taste from NCL in the past.  This is a forum so stated my thoughts.

I did read your post and that is why I asked if you spoke with the server.

The servers, in any restaurant anywhere in the world are the ones that relay information to the cooks. If the food is not good, that is who you speak to about it. You certainly do not go back to the kitchen LOL

If you do not say anything, no one can help you.

As for portion size, yes, that is the way it is done in the entire food service industry, you may doubt it but that is the way.

As for poor fish,some like it and some do not. Tilapia by the way, is the 3rd or 4th most popular fish. There are premium cuts in every protein but, they ar e always more expensive, even in land based restaurants.

As I said, food is probably the most debatable topic in any forum and certainly on Cruise Critic in all ship and line forums.

That said, while we did not like all offerings, we would never say the food has declined. All tastes are different and yours apparently is much higher level than many here and fir sure, you can state your thoughts but, you should also allow others to express theirs without becoming upset.   🙂

Edited by pete_coach
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pete_coach said:

The servers, in any restaurant anywhere in the world are the ones that relay information to the cooks. If the food is not good, that is who you speak to about it. You certainly do not go back to the kitchen LOL

As I said, food is probably the most debatable topic in any forum and certainly on Cruise Critic in all forums.

That said, while we did not like all offerings, we would never say the food has declined. All tastes are different and yours apparently is much higher level than many here and fir sure, you can state your thoughts but, you should also allow others to express theirs without becoming upset.   🙂

I have to disagree. The waiters on a ship have NOTHING to do with relaying the quality of the food to the kitchen. That is more or less up to the maitre 'd and I did talk to one.

My tastes are just that, my tastes. I still stand by why I posted, food decline. Pork, cheap fish, and bland. I do not have a superior level of taste for sure.

I am not upset. Goodness, I have been on CC long enough to know better 🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I have to disagree. The waiters on a ship have NOTHING to do with relaying the quality of the food to the kitchen. That is more or less up to the maitre 'd and I did talk to one.

My tastes are just that, my tastes. I still stand by why I posted, food decline. Pork, cheap fish, and bland. I do not have a superior level of taste for sure.

I am not upset. Goodness, I have been on CC long enough to know better 🤣

OK but, my point was to relay your dissatisfaction at the time of service. I am sure your server would have brought over a manager or  Maitre 'D. 

I hope your next meal is up to your satisfaction. 🙂

Edited by pete_coach

22 hours ago, pete_coach said:

As for portion size, yes, that is the way it is done in the entire food service industry, you may doubt it but that is the way.

As for poor fish,some like it and some do not. Tilapia by the way, is the 3rd or 4th most popular fish. There are premium cuts in every protein but, they ar e always more expensive, even in land based restaurants.

As I said, food is probably the most debatable topic in any forum and certainly on Cruise Critic in all ship and line forums.

Just want to point out that Tilapia is not good fish. You know how they are harvested ? UGGGG

I know they are in all the ponds in Florida but we do not eat them.

I agree and disagree with a lot that has been said about the food on here. I also have not liked most of the main entrees in the MDR for years. I mostly eat in the special restaurants, buffet and the pub.   

4 hours ago, detroitlions said:

Just want to point out that Tilapia is not good fish. You know how they are harvested ? UGGGG

I know they are in all the ponds in Florida but we do not eat them.

I agree and disagree with a lot that has been said about the food on here. I also have not liked most of the main entrees in the MDR for years. I mostly eat in the special restaurants, buffet and the pub.   

OK. My comment was that tilapia was the 4th most popular fish in the USA today.

You may not like it but a lot do.

As  I said in my first post, food on ships is the most debated topic on this forums, regardless of what cruise line.

Sorry to be you. I would also choose different places to eat if I consistently did not like  the food

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

My comment was that tilapia was the 4th most popular fish in the USA today.

It's a tasteless white fish, which seems to be what a lot of people prefer. Personally, if it isn't battered and deep-fried, it ain't fish.

3 hours ago, pete_coach said:

As  I said in my first post, food on ships is the most debated topic on this forums, regardless of what cruise line.

Sorry to be you. I would also choose different places to eat if I consistently did not like  the food

Tilapia is a buffet fish at best, I’m not saying we need Chilean sea bass nightly in the MDR but a snapper or grouper would be nice

even salmon would be better

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Like where? Special restaurants, the pub and buffet are the only other places to eat besides the MDR. So I don't get the point. Sitting for 2 hours for bottom feeder fish like tilapia, and flounder and a rubbery NY strip steak I will pass and I think a huge chunk of the people on CC will agree and its not just NCL its other lines.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, brad0576 said:

Tilapia is a buffet fish at best, I’m not saying we need Chilean sea bass nightly in the MDR but a snapper or grouper would be nice

I agree were spoiled with the snapper and grouper here in Florida.

When they say the fish is sea bass it could be a dozen different fish. Some good some not so much. A lot of seafood is seasonal so I know why it changes but change it to something good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CptJLMcCrea said:

It's a tasteless white fish, which seems to be what a lot of people prefer. Personally, if it isn't battered and deep-fried, it ain't fish.

8 hours ago, brad0576 said:

OK, ya don't like tilapia but, it does not change my comment that says it is the 3rd or 4th most popular fish in the US 🙂

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

Like where? Special restaurants, the pub and buffet are the only other places to eat besides the MDR. So I don't get the point. Sitting for 2 hours for bottom feeder fish like tilapia, and flounder and a rubbery NY strip steak I will pass and I think a huge chunk of the people on CC will agree and its not just NCL its other lines.

Well, it seems to me that you have to find another way to vacation.The food and service in the MDR and the fish being served clearly ruins it for you  🙂

I already said to you that food is the most talked about topic on this and other cruise line forums.

"One fish that many people label as a bottom feeder is Tilapia—but that's not strictly true. In the wild, Tilapia usually eat around the mid-level of the water,"

1 minute ago, pete_coach said:

Well, it seems to me that you have to find another way to vacation.The food and service in the MDR and the fish being served clearly ruins it for you  🙂

I already said to you that food is the most talked about topic on this and other cruise line forums.

"One fish that many people label as a bottom feeder is Tilapia—but that's not strictly true. In the wild, Tilapia usually eat around the mid-level of the water,"

I never said I needed another way to vacation I like cruising and land vacations. I just stated I have not like the main courses in the MDR in years.

By they way they buy farmed Tilapia. Mostly from Thailand. They raise them in pools and are on the bottom of the food chain.  

• Like 1