So confused Norway 14th Feb

Having a meltdown trying to pack here lol

Going on a cruise to Norway on the 14th Feb, have been buying everything for artic weather, looking at the forecast now for our ports Alesund ,Narvik, Tromso, Alta, Bodo and Stavanger. The only place it looks artic weather is Alta the rest isn't even in minus figures, think I'm going to roast although we do have layers.

Must admit to being disappointed I was hoping for more like -10 just to experience it........

Oh well it is what it is.

Did you have a question, or did you just want to vent?

In future, if traveling to somewhere new, it's an excellent idea took up the historical weather averages for those places well in advance. Google abounds with such websites. Then, a week or so before beginning the trip, check the forecast to refine  your expectations. 

• Like 1

I agree with @mom says but our experience in the last few years is that weather does not always follow historical patterns.  Often today you can be taken off guard with lows or highs in temperatures.

We were on a cruise in Europe over Christmas and New Year and the historical temperatures were 0C but we experienced 8-12C daily.  We completely overpacked for cold, but were glad we had it.

We travel a lot and have down puffer jackets that fold down to almost nothing but will keep us warm to -20C for short excursions.  We pack wool under-layers that don't take any space.  We also take a fleece zip jumper for under the down jacket if needed.  We always have a couple of hats and scarves and gloves.

We are ready for any weather and what makes us ready for any weather really does not take much room in the luggage.

We dress in layers as the mornings and the evenings are always the coldest and that is where you experience the lows in temperature and we will strip off a layer during the day if necessary.

Edited by CDNPolar

We’re I live in Canada temps and this time of year can reach -40c but this past week we have had 8c. It’s been a crazy warm winter and has a lot of us worried. Warm temps like this mean our summer will be affected probably by droughts and forest fires. 

Wear layers and you’ll be fine. The difference in what I would pack for -15 vs -40 isn’t much. 

• Like 1