Visitor Toll Pass

We are flying in to Orlando 2 days before the cruise, renting a car then driving to the port. I can add the toll pass option with my car rental, but it's showing that it will cost about $40 more for the rental. Has anyone used the Visitor Toll Pass app? Looking on the toll calculator website, we would only be incurring about $5 in tolls during our trip. Anyone successfully used it? Is it worth it to try it or is the convenience of paying with the car rental just a better option? I would have to keep it with me for the length of the cruise and return it to MCO on our flight out.

We literally just drove back from Port Canaveral to Orlando on saturday, brought a roll of quarters with us, worked out fine, and they also have attendants that make change at the toll booths, but they won't take anything over a $20, that is what I was told.

I have to say that I LOVE Visitor Toll pass.  I have used it twice, and it's been very easy.  I really like that I can tell the car rental agency that I don't want to pay the daily fee of using their "box" let alone paying the tolls through them.  Also nice that I don't have to stop at toll booths, and you get the lowest toll price.

It doesn't cost ANYTHING - just a $10 deposit when you start - then the tolls add up and if you exceed the $10, they just charge you that.

I would recommend it, and happy to answer any questions.  2 quick good pieces of info from their FAQ:

With Visitor Toll Pass™, there is no service fee and you will be charged the lowest toll rate (electronic rate) on toll roads throughout Florida. 

When reserving your Visitor Toll Pass™ through the smartphone app, you will pay a $10 deposit which will be used towards your toll transactions. 

However, if you do not return the hangtag to the Visitor Toll Pass™ drop boxes at the Orlando International Airport, the $10 deposit will then be used for the unreturned hangtag and not towards your toll transactions. 

If you return your pass and owe less than $10 at the conclusion of your trip, the balance will be refunded to your card on file.

Your Visitor Toll Pass™ hangtag will be activated when you leave Orlando International Airport and drive under the electronic reader when exiting rental car parking deck. 

You must hang your Visitor Toll Pass™ prior to leaving the airport to ensure activation. You will receive a notice confirming that your trip is live, and your pass is activated. (I take a picture of the license plate of my rental, and add it to the APP before I leave the rental garage.)

• Like 1

That's very interesting, thank you.

I've tried to use my own SunPass and E-Z Pass on rental cars, and that's been blocked. The plate numbers are already registered with the service. The hang tag transponder is a great idea.

• 3 weeks later...

You could always buy a SunPass and load money onto it and it's good in FL, GA and NC (or maybe it's SC?). Anyhow, the money never expires and it's not tied to your plate or your car or a rental, so there's no rule against lending it to a friend or family member to use as well. 

3 hours ago, Noledad77 said:

You could always buy a SunPass and load money onto it and it's good in FL, GA and NC (or maybe it's SC?). Anyhow, the money never expires and it's not tied to your plate or your car or a rental, so there's no rule against lending it to a friend or family member to use as well. 

You can use SunPass in a rental, but you have to tie the plate to the account.

See:

image.thumb.png.992419c4cb5f4cc947b004462557aba5.png

On 2/12/2024 at 6:08 PM, cruising_rocket_scientist said:

We are flying in to Orlando 2 days before the cruise, renting a car then driving to the port.

Seriously, for one roundtrip between the airport & Port Canaveral, just bring some 1 dollar bills or a roll of quarters and pull off into the Cash lanes. The transponder would just be a hassle. However, those "2 days before the cruise" concerns me because other than I-4, every expressway around Orlando is a toll road so you're bound to run into more tolls.