Is it really worth it?

CruiseLibre

My DW and I just started cruising a little over a year or so ago.  We have been on 4 cruises and we have several booked for the next two years.   Perhaps you are overthinking this money-grab issue.  I understand that the customer service issue is a problem, but ultimately Princess has done me right regardless of some of the difficulties I have had by calling customer service.  

We do not drink so we usually get the Classic Soda Package.  It is fun having a mocktail or two for dinner at the MDR and we enjoy several soft drinks during the day.   We purchase only 1 WIFI/Internet for 1 device and we share that connection using my iPhone and my DW's iPhone.  We do not eat at speciality restaurants for we have a great time eating at the MDR for all of our evening meals and often times for breakfast and lunch.  The food is good and sometimes great.  We always find something that we enjoy eating and, from our experience, the waiters will go out of their way to accommodate you.  Depending on the cruise, we often times treat ourselves to the thermal suite package for the entire cruise.  We have the means to purchase the Plus or Premier packages and go to the speciality restaurants, but we don't feel the need.  We certainly don't feel left out or excluded.  

I have found that cruising is a great tool for helping me, and my DW, to get some rest and relaxation.  We never rush for anything, including getting off the ship for all of the ports.  Often times, we stay on the ship and enjoy having far less people around.  Sure, we have run into some problems while on the cruise, but they always seem to work out the end.  At least they have for us.

I am with many here that think it might be the better option for you to cancel your cruise.  Having a positive mindset about the entire cruise is key to having a great time.  Through no fault of your own, your initial experience has turned your positive attitude south a bit.  Although you could overcome this while on your cruise, you could easily slide even more into having a less positive attitude and have a horrible time.  

Just my two-cents worth. 

Edited by TAW1963
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think another option, if you care to cruise, would be to look at the luxury lines like Viking Ocean, Seabourn, or Oceania.  Their prices are pretty much all inclusive.  All of the mass market cruise lines use the base fare plus extras pricing model.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

My DW and I just started cruising a little over a year or so ago.  We have been on 4 cruises and we have several booked for the next two years.   Perhaps you are overthinking this money-grab issue.  I understand that the customer service issue is a problem, but ultimately Princess has done me right regardless of some of the difficulties I have had by calling customer service.  

We do not drink so we usually get the Classic Soda Package.  It is fun having a mocktail or two for dinner at the MDR and we enjoy several soft drinks during the day.   We purchase only 1 WIFI/Internet for 1 device and we share that connection using my iPhone and my DW's iPhone.  We do not eat at speciality restaurants for we have a great time eating at the MDR for all of our evening meals and often times for breakfast and lunch.  The food is good and sometimes great.  We always find something that we enjoy eating and, from our experience, the waiters will go out of their way to accommodate you.  Depending on the cruise, we often times treat ourselves to the thermal suite package for the entire cruise.  We have the means to purchase the Plus or Premier packages and go to the speciality restaurants, but we don't feel the need.  We certainly don't feel left out or excluded.  

I have found that cruising is a great tool for helping me, and my DW, to get some rest and relaxation.  We never rush for anything, including getting off the ship for all of the ports.  Often times, we stay on the ship and enjoy having far less people around.  Sure, we have run into some problems while on the cruise, but they always seem to work out the end.  At least they have for us.

I am with many here that think it might be the better option for you to cancel your cruise.  Having a positive mindset about the entire cruise is key to having a great time.  Through no fault of your own, your initial experience has turned your positive attitude south a bit.  Although you could overcome this while on your cruise, you could easily slide even more into having a less positive attitude and have a horrible time.  

Just my two-cents worth. 

Well said and what a great perspective. You know yourself and your budget and you make it work in a way that brings you joy and satisfaction. 

• Like 2

I'm in the camp of probably better to cancel at this point as it is not heading in the right direction.

14 days is a longer cruise for a first time family cruise. It's not clear where the cruise is going and if you going primarily for the itinerary or to experience being on a cruise? 

Maybe stick with land based for this year and if still interested in trying out a cruise, take a little more time for your next holiday to better get your ahead around "what is it actually going to cost?" before you commit so you can better look forward to it.

As other have suggested there are lines that are more inclusive in pricing although they are typically more expensive overall. Have you looked at any Marella cruises? They are (were) all inclusive pricing (taxes, grats, drinks and flights if doing cruise/fly holiday) or at least were when I last sailed them before Covid. If nothing else, looking at one of their cruise packages costs can give you a comparable idea of what the overall cruise holiday might cost. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Well said and what a great perspective. You know yourself and your budget and you make it work in a way that brings you joy and satisfaction. 

Thanks so much. 

I think many people convince themselves that they need the package and justify the cost that way. After a few days off the ship (doing a tour) it becomes evident that the true cost just isn't worth it. If Wi-Fi isn't all that important to you and you don't consume 10 or more alcohol drinks a day plus numerous other drinks it's truly a waste of money.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

In my last post I didn't express an opinion on whether the OP should cancel or not.

A few years ago we had a cruise booked which we booked well before but covid came along. Our cruise went ahead at a time when cruising was re-starting but there were covid protocols still very much in place and they kept changing. So when we booked it was normal cruising but when our cruise was going to sail covid protocols were in place and they changed just weeks before the cruise. My wife was in the vulnerable group and so we tried to cancel. The answer was no, not without losing the entire cruise fare. We ummed and arrghed and eventually we couldn't face losing all that money so we went ahead with the cruise.

Now, if we had just accepted that we were going and made up our minds to enjoy it then I am sure we would have had a great time but instead we just moped and moaned in the lead up and then pretty much stayed in our cabin for most of the cruise missing out on almost everything it had to offer. Crazy I know (no need to criticise me... I know!) but we were scared of getting covid and that fear affects your brain! In hindsight we should have just cancelled. We already had spent the money so that was gone whether we went on the cruise or not so in hindsight we had 2 choices... lose the money, go and not enjoy the cruise... or... lose the money and not go and find something else we could enjoy. 

It is always easy in hindsight especially when you are considering walking away from something already paid for but I now feel we should have walked away. It cost us the same as if we didn't go but we had a pretty miserable time and we could of, and should of avoided that.

So, to the OP I would say consider cancelling. However, if you think you can live with what you have got and that you could find a way to actually enjoy it then don't cancel... give it a go. You might really enjoy it! But I think it will require you to accept what it is and embrace it. If you don't do that and you still go then you may end up regretting the whole cruise like we did.

9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I think many people convince themselves that they need the package and justify the cost that way. After a few days off the ship (doing a tour) it becomes evident that the true cost just isn't worth it. If Wi-Fi isn't all that important to you and you don't consume 10 or more alcohol drinks a day plus numerous other drinks it's truly a waste of money.

I don't know what kinda drinks you are pricing to come up with 10+ and numerous others to break even at $60/day (which includes gratuities on those drinks and the Wifi). 

We are in the camp pf really don't drink much (probably don't come out ahead over the duration of a cruise) but generally still get a package so we can budge and prepay and not think about it when we are cruising.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
11 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You really cannot speak for others. What you meant to say there is that the true cost isn't worth it FOR YOU.

The package (Premier) is most definitely worth it for us and I know a lot of others. You most certainly don't need 10 alcoholic drinks a day to make it worth it IMO. 

I accept that it isn't worth it for you but you cannot generalise for others.

16 hours ago, CruiseLibre said:

First time cruising with my wife and daughter this summer (other daughter refuses to go, too cool for skool!) and starting to have second thoughts as the 14 day cruise which seemed like a good deal to start with now just seems like a way to extract as much money from you as possible, either before you sail or whilst you're on board.

We got one of the ports dropped from the itinerary early on after booking and an extra sea day added on (3 days at sea for one leg), that was the first disappointment as although we understand that these things can happen, this port was one of the main reasons we booked the cruise, what annoyed me is that Princess were completely uninterested and didn't want to know, didn't offer anything in recompense like some other cruise lines do like 'free at sea' etc. (Hello NCL!) and didn't really care what the customer thought, it just felt like a really bad experience for our first cruise. They also hold you to ransom with the deposit by the "You want to cancel? sure, we have pocketed your £600"...so long sucker, so I am hanging in there in the hope that something good happens, although that's not looking too hopeful right now.

The customer experience is something I feel really strongly about as I've worked in customer experience my entire life and this felt like an absolute kick in the teeth and sod the customer. I even spoke to them online and although I don't blame the online agent as they are bound by what they're allowed to do, they didn't want to know, first fail in my book, but they still want more money from me, you can see where this is heading. I totally get they can't just hand out freebies for something that is probably outwith their control but if you want more money from me, I feel I want something it appease my initial disappointment first, is this unreasonable? This experience has tainted the entire cruise for me as I feel I'm just a cash cow right now for Princess when they should be pulling out all the stops.

We are five months from the cruise and although we have paid for a balcony (not much extra tbh and got this because our daughter is not a great sailor and access to fresh air is a bonus) but the not so obvious hidden costs and up selling to plus packages et al. are taking the shine off what should be a nice cruise, but that's before you start paying for onboard services and shore excursions.

Our costs before we even step on ship are £5k approx without the Plus package or any up selling which will occur either closer to the time or on board.

The "Just get the Plus package" advice pushes the costs to £7k, not a small figure for any family and especially during a cost of living crisis, and that's before shore excursions or anything else. I just can't wrap my head about how much do you actually need to spend before it actually feels like a care free all-inclusive experience, which it certainly doesn't feel like it at the moment, it's like there's a toll booth at every turn.

I feel once I'm on board I will be forced to pay for x to fall in line with the rest of the crowd and although shows etc. are included, as are the main dining room and other advertised areas that don't include all the other things that you'll have to pay for by the end of the cruise. Yes, pay up front for Plus which tbh we wouldn't feel we would get the value for money others may get from this but feel that we should pay for it for the more inclusive experience.

What I'm saying is that a £5k cruise involves having to pay nearly half the cruise cost again to get just that little bit closer to more inclusive experience, right now it feels like an economy class experience trying to dupe you into paying more than what you will actually use on board. £5k isn't enough for a speciality coffee, really?

We paid around £600 deposit and although I can easily afford to take the hit if I want to cancel, and can well afford the cruise, I'm just a stickler for getting value for money and right now it's a £8k-£9k cruise realistically by the end with the plus package and excursions. We also have around £1k costs to get to the ship before it sails on top of the cruise cost, so make that £10k as a realistic end of cruise price. Some may say, but your getting a 14 day cruise for £x but the longer you're on a ship the more you'll spend too, and the cruise lines know this.

Some may say, just go on the cruise and enjoy it, but it's pretty hard having had the experience from Princess up to now, knowing how much extra I have to pay to try and have a nice time on board, it's all one way traffic, so to speak. I know itinerary changes happen, it's just becoming a hard pill to swallow based on my experience so far, keep paying for more disappointment later on down to the road?

Disgruntled? yes, it feels like a bottomless pit of money I am throwing my money into when Princess have changed the goal posts and I just have to suck it up, I just need someone to change my mind before I hit the cancel button....be gentle. :classic_unsure:

You're having a miserable experience and haven't even embarked yet.

Cancel now. 

There's many ways to spend your vacation money - go multiple places for 14 days for £5k which you'll have all meals included, and you'll feel you haven't been taken advantage of. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

You really cannot speak for others. What you meant to say there is that the true cost isn't worth it FOR YOU.

The package (Premier) is most definitely worth it for us and I know a lot of others. You most certainly don't need 10 alcoholic drinks a day to make it worth it IMO. 

I accept that it isn't worth it for you but you cannot generalise for others.

Obviously I can't speak for other people but just sitting back & looking at what your money is buying will make people think twice about unnecessary spending. If you think it's a great deal then buy it.

You must think that Princess is losing money if you order 10 drinks or more. 😄

I'll save that huge amount & apply it to my next cruise bringing what I need to enjoy my vacation.  

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I don't know what kinda drinks you are pricing to come up with 10+ and numerous others to break even at $60/day (which includes gratuities on those drinks and the Wifi). 

We are in the camp pf really don't drink much (probably don't come out ahead over the duration of a cruise) but generally still get a package so we can budge and prepay and not think about it when we are cruising.

We've found that only a couple of drinks is sufficient for our liking so why pay them $60 per day each for things we don't actually need. Wi-Fi we can live without since we get it for free on all our trips as soon as we dock. 

Like I said, people convince themselves that they "need" it. 

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

We've found that only a couple of drinks is sufficient for our liking so why pay them $60 per day each for things we don't actually need. Wi-Fi we can live without since we get it for free on all our trips as soon as we dock. 

Agreed - for 2 drinks not worth it, but that is a far cry from needing 10+ to make it worthwhile and that was my point.

The breakeven is closer to 4 drinks in a day (assuming none of the perks other than daily grats have value).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, CruiseLibre said:

£5k isn't enough for a speciality coffee, really?

£5k ($6.3K) for 3 people for a 14 night cruise in a balcony cabin is a good price. Free coffee on new Princess ships is pretty good, so what are you complaining about?

We are paying $3K for 7 night cruises in a balcony for 3 people, so a 14 night cruise for $6.3 isn't that far off. We also pay for flights and hotel... We are also going to be on Enchanted this summer, and we can't wait. We are not complaining about Princess (X, Carnival, RCI) not including free specialty coffee in that rate. If you can get NCL AI rate for 3 people in a balcony for $6.3K on a 14 night cruise - why don't you?

17 hours ago, CruiseLibre said:

Princess didn't offer anything in recompense like some other cruise lines do like 'free at sea' etc. (Hello NCL!)

NCL didn't provide free at sea for us at all when their ship broke down on day 3 of our 10 day cruise and we had to go home. They refunded us and also allowed us to use the same amount towards the next sailing, but they didn't throw in free at sea to "recompense us" for the inconvenience. Believe me, that ordeal was a lot more inconvenient than replacing a port with a sea day.  And we were not even as badly inconvenienced as the passengers from Europe and Australia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

Agreed - for 2 drinks not worth it, but that is a far cry from needing 10+ to make it worthwhile and that was my point.

The breakeven is closer to 4 drinks in a day (assuming none of the perks other than daily grats have value).

After they raise the drink prices it'll look like even a better value. LOL😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

The $60 includes $16 a day in gratuities, so you are really only paying $44 a day. For most people, this makes the Plus package a great deal, but for those who drink very little and don't like wifi, it's best to skip it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate being a bit worried about the constant upsell.  But, it you let yourself ignore it, it becomes white noise pretty quickly.  We buy the cruise, a balcony, drinks al a carte, an occasional excursion, and a pass for the wife to the spa room with the heated stone loungers (called different things on different lines), because those are the things we like to buy.  For example--30 years of cruising, zero items bought at the art auction.  The economic truth is that the basic cruise fare just about covers their fixed costs, and all the upselling is where they earn profits--so they have a job to do in selling to us.  If it bothers you too much, don't go.  But if you think you manage not to let it bother you, just remember that the people buying all of these things are subsidizing your basic cruise fare, and enjoy.

• Like 2

The upgrades are very personal to each person’s interests, habits, and desires. Obviously no one NEEDS any of this. It’s vacation. It’s travel. It is all about WANTS. I want to drink. I want to use WiFi. I want to eat at casual dining and speciality dining. I want pictures. I want to have unlimited everything and I don’t want to be told NO. You take your WANTS and compare that to your resources: time and money being the most common. You purchase at the best balance point for you. Because it is the best for you, no one’s opinion about it being a waste matters and the person that feels the need to share that knee jerk opinion is either jealous or … a jerk. (Or both.) 

• Like 8

I get what you are saying.  For us, all the options to spend lots of extra money mean nothing, as we rarely drink, don't even drink soda, only go to specialty restaurants if we have lots of OBC, never go to the spa and very seldom buy ships tours, so the base price works great.  We can get along without wifi, but with Princess we have a cheaper plan because of being Elite.

You just have to do the math.  If you want alcohol, spa, specialty meals, etc., etc., etc.,and will feel deprived otherwise, maybe it's time to bite the bullet.  I don't think you will find almost any cruise line much different.

We have a really great cruise and do everything that's important to us without spending extra. But, if you will feel deprived by skipping many of the add-ons, maybe it is time to cancel.  We feel the basic room price (we always get a balcony) provides a very nice experience.

Luxury lines will have most of the above included, but at a very much higher price.  

We always pay the gratuity though.

20 minutes ago, Mississippian said:

The $60 includes $16 a day in gratuities, so you are really only paying $44 a day. For most people, this makes the Plus package a great deal, but for those who drink very little and don't like wifi, it's best to skip it.

Well said!  But, don’t forget about those people, myself included, that really enjoy the specialty coffees, with or without alcohol.  Also included is unlimited bottled water, which most of us use everyday and soda is also included.  

I usually have 3 coffees ($15.00) 1 soda ($3.00) 2 glasses of wine ($30.00) 2 cocktails ($25.00).  That’s $73.00 per day plus gratuity of $16.00.  That’s $89.00 per day!  I haven’t even included the cost of wifi.

So, after only 4 alcohol beverages per day, I’ve already exceeded the cost of the Plus package.  If I choose an extra glass of wine or a cocktail, I’m way ahead.

I wish those people who constantly criticize the cost of the packages would refrain from including EVERYONE in their perception of the value.  We’re all adults capable of doing simple math and making our own educated decisions.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Funny story about the drink package.  For our last cruise (9 nights on Celebrity) we considered a drink package and decided against it.  But we promised ourselves that we would not consider drink costs, and that we would buy as many drinks as we wanted, and whatever type we wanted.  And we did!  And at the end, out total drink bill (for the two of us) was $200.  That was us partying.  🙂

Edited by JordanF
Correction
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, CruiseLibre said:

Disgruntled? yes, it feels like a bottomless pit of money I am throwing my money into when Princess have changed the goal posts and I just have to suck it up, I just need someone to change my mind before I hit the cancel button....be gentle. 

Sorry about the bad vibes this cruise is giving you.

I think you should cancel.

IMHO, there's a giant disconnect between what appears to be your unrealistic expectations and what Princess can provide you and your family. 

Good luck.  Hope it turns out well for you.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JordanF said:

Funny story about the drink package.  For our last cruise (9 nights on Celebrity) we considered a drink package and decided against it.  But we promised ourselves that we would not consider drink costs, and that we would buy as many drinks as we wanted, and whatever type we wanted.  And we did!  And at the end, out total drink bill (for the two of us) was $200.  That was us partying.  🙂

Wow!  That’s $22.00 per day for 2 people.  $11.00 each, which is basically one drink per day.   Not exactly what most people would consider partying! lol. But, if that works for you, then more power to you!

• Haha 4

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It isn't always about "need". I sometimes just want it as it makes my life easier.

Again, don't think that everyone thinks the way you do 🙂 

I really appreciate all the comments and for context we only booked the 14 day cruise as it was the only one that suited us regards the ports we wanted to visit, on reflection it is a long one for a first cruise, so all things considered we will probably go and just play it by ear on board, we will buy shore excursions, we will buy drinks (not much, as we are not big drinkers) and probably visit one or two of the speciality restaurants and just enjoy ourselves, as life is too short.

I don't think we will go for the Plus package though as I don't think we will use it, I think if we had it we would be trying to max out our daily drinks quota, which is not a good idea!

Some really great responses and some down right rude ones! but to the folk who have genuinely given critical feedback with some really good tips, I thank you.

We are going on a cruise! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 19