Any GOLFERS here?

suzannecruisecritic

Just booked on Crystal for the first time for May and noticed they have golf practice areas on board and advertise that they will have a golf pro on board most sailings. 

Has anyone used these or met a golf pro onboard?

Anyone know of how to best book an of shore golf excursion? 

While I am not a golfer although I do play a mean game of miniature golf, I am very familiar with the program and know some of the golf pros very well.

You are correct. They do try to have a golf pro on board for each sailing. They use most just in case the pro isn't there.

They offer complimentary group classes. For a fee they will provide private instruction.

On some cruises they will arrange a golf outing. You can stop by the reception desk when you board to indicate you are interested if this is offered.

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

While I am not a golfer although I do play a mean game of miniature golf, I am very familiar with the program and know some of the golf pros very well.

You are correct. They do try to have a golf pro on board for each sailing. They use most just in case the pro isn't there.

They offer complimentary group classes. For a fee they will provide private instruction.

On some cruises they will arrange a golf outing. You can stop by the reception desk when you board to indicate you are interested if this is offered.

Keith

Thank you! That is helpful to know. it’s interesting that they have the space dedicated on board and a golf pro. We’ve never been on a Crystal cruise but I’m guessing the guests like to practice or learn during days at sea and down time? 

I’m thinking out loud here … wondering if there’s any way to connect with any of the golf pros in advance. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to call Crystal and ask. Or maybe the shore excursion team can be reached for a custom tour. I’ll try. 

Thsnl you again. 

5 minutes ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

I didn’t see that on Crystal but Azamara offers them and they look well organized. 

They did post one golf theme cruise later in the year with Leadbetter as the guest PRO.  The golf pros will usually have one or two talks on sea days, sometimes a port day.  The concierge helps to schedule golf in ports where it is feasible.  The on board pro may also play if he/she is available.  When you board and see arrival/departure times and if there is a tender or not, you can organize golf.

Crystal has a golf themed cruise for 2024.

Crystal Symphony Lisbon to Dover, July 18 to July 30, 2024

David Leadbetter and Robert Borgatti will be on board

https://www.crystalcruises.com/cruises/none-csy-012-240718?utm_campaign=entertainment-spotlight_02Feb24_Guest-US&utm_content=golf_enthusiasts_cta&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Keith

• Like 1

Years ago did a golf cruise on Crystal with a great pro on board -- we got to play golf at St. Andrews - not the old course but getting to play at St Andrews was a great although the local golfers didn't really appreciate us since we played too slowly for them. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Crystal has a golf themed cruise for 2024.

Crystal Symphony Lisbon to Dover, July 18 to July 30, 2024

David Leadbetter and Robert Borgatti will be on board

https://www.crystalcruises.com/cruises/none-csy-012-240718?utm_campaign=entertainment-spotlight_02Feb24_Guest-US&utm_content=golf_enthusiasts_cta&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Keith

Thanks again Keith. I would not have found this on my own. My google searches seem to bury this pretty deep in my search results.  

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

Years ago did a golf cruise on Crystal with a great pro on board -- we got to play golf at St. Andrews - not the old course but getting to play at St Andrews was a great although the local golfers didn't really appreciate us since we played too slowly for them. 

That sounds pretty spectacular! 

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

We happened to be on a golf themed cruise on the symphony in 2009.  Billy Caspar was the celebrity golf pro

Nancy

59 minutes ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

That is great to hear. Thank you 

Hello, we had free lessons with Joe Herbert when we were on our first Crystal cruise in September 2013.  We were on Crystal Symphony.  We did improve our golf score.  Our friends did not want to bet with us anymore.  Enjoy your cruise! The only thing you will regret is 7 days is too short, it will be difficult to disembark.  You might want to book your next Crystal cruise when you are onboard!

5 hours ago, nancygp said:

We happened to be on a golf themed cruise on the symphony in 2009.  Billy Caspar was the celebrity golf pro

Nancy

Casper was the one on out St. Andrews trip - maybe the same cruise

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 8:36 PM, TER777 said:

Thank you! We've booked on a different sailing (May 27-June 3 Barcelona-Toulon) because the dates were the only ones that worked for our schedules. Hoping we'll connect with the golf pro on board and maybe get a round in 🙂