Looking For A Unicorn!

OK...I only have a Samsung S22 for my cruise videos...I use it exclusively in 4K mode.  I *generally* get some decent (in my opinion) video (and stills) that I use to create a travel video for every cruise/trip using Final Cut Pro. 

I'm really getting tired of ruining a fast shot with fingers in the frame plus basic instability of having to hold the phone in order to avoid it.  I shoot almost exclusively in landscape mode...regardless of the actual layout because I hate the "vertical" bars on either side of the main pic when I create my final video.

I'm *thinking* that I might like to try a hand grip... But I would want something that gives me full (or almost full) control over my shots.  In other words...a remote control (Bluetooth seems to be the standard for this) that will allow me to start/stop video or take a still pic.  Being able to switch between still and video remotely would be the holy grail...I think, but I've not been able to find that feature.

I don't mind spending a bit to try something that looks promising.  I'm not too keen on the "side mounts" that are so common on Amazon...but I'm not ruling it out. 

Side Mount.jpg

Not particularly interested in an actual selfie stick, but not totally ruling that out either.  I really like the idea of a "stubby" hand grip...IDK, so many choices and seemingly *none* of them really offer the remote functions I want.

Grip.jpg

I suppose my main criteria would be in regards to the "full function" (hopefully) remote control.

Looking for any reviews from those who have tried something like this...good or bad!

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

Check out this Ulanzi smartphone grip.  It has a number of features, including a threaded tripod mount, bluetooth connectivity, and a built-in flash . . .

https://www.ulanzi.com/collections/smartphone-camera-grip/products/ulanzi-cg-02-smartphone-camera-grip-bluetooth-with-fill-light-3282 

Edited by billandsue

1 hour ago, billandsue said:

Check out this Ulanzi smartphone grip.  It has a number of features, including a threaded tripod mount, bluetooth connectivity, and a built-in flash . . .

https://www.ulanzi.com/collections/smartphone-camera-grip/products/ulanzi-cg-02-smartphone-camera-grip-bluetooth-with-fill-light-3282 

Thanks...I saw that particular item on Amazon.  Unfortunately, too many people are complaining that the remote buttons don't work as expected.  That's a shame, because if it would work as actually advertised I would give it a shot.

I looked at a bunch of these things and ended up programming the camera to use the volume button to trigger the shutter. That way I can hold it with both hands or tap to focus and still take the picture.

The camera strap issue was solved with a BlackRapid Wander leash. 

image.png.278853f808cd788bcd49b33720aba063.png

Dave

4 minutes ago, pierces said:

I looked at a bunch of these things and ended up programming the camera to use the volume button to trigger the shutter. That way I can hold it with both hands or tap to focus and still take the picture.

The camera strap issue was solved with a BlackRapid Wander leash. 

image.png.278853f808cd788bcd49b33720aba063.png

Dave

Interesting...does that button change only affect while in camera mode? Video?

25 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Interesting...does that button change only affect while in camera mode? Video?

It is enabled only when the camera app is active (still controls volume if the camera app is open but in the background). It also allows you to start/stop video recording.

Screenshot_20240216-122705.thumb.png.2b073465d0785ed59ede4b07f4bcc6c6.png

Screenshot_20240216-122713.thumb.png.f37da6ff5b2cd060c9162af4acedb303.png

Dave

Edited by pierces

• 2 weeks later...

If you just want to be able to hold the camera in 2 hands instead of one I have a suggestion.  My S24 has a voice photo option - you say "capture" and it takes a picture.  I suspect that you S22 has the same capability.

DON

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

If you just want to be able to hold the camera in 2 hands instead of one I have a suggestion.  My S24 has a voice photo option - you say "capture" and it takes a picture.  I suspect that you S22 has the same capability.

DON

I'll have to check that out. Thanks!